The current state of "Free to Play"

If you don't know what Free to Play means... It's basically a game which advertises itself as free, but it pulls you in a trap. You have micro transactions and benefits if you pay... One 15 year old teenager fell into the trap, and Kotaku writes about it...

Horror stories about how much money people have spent on stuff you can buy in games have been around as long as there has been microtransactions and in-app purchases. But one teenager in Belgium went absolutely crazy with the amount of money he poured into online strategy game Game of War: Fire Age.

According to Belgian news outlet Nieuwsblad, the unnamed kid was reportedly buying in-game gold via his grandfather's credit card. The credit card info was given to him by his mother, who had requested her son's help to buy and download eBooks onto her tablet. After linking the credit card to his own iTunes account, he spent thousands of euros on gold in Game of War: Fire Age over the course of a couple of months. The boy's mother says that he claims not to have known that he was spending real money.

And they continue by saying:

There's been recent concern about the messaging around in-app purchases in similar free-to-play games, which has led the European Commission to strongly recommend that apps built on the business model no longer call themselves 'free'. Google's App Store has changed its policies to fall in line with the new rules. While Apple hasn't followed suit, the company behind the iPhone and iPad has intervened in the past when kids have unwittingly made large in-app purchases. We've reached out to representatives for Machine Zone, the company that makes Game of War: Fire Age and will update this post if we hear back.

We should rename the "Free to Play" term to "Pay to Win" because if you have a credit card, you surely are the winner... This describes the current state of the Industry, if they actually wanted to make a Free game, would they be able to? They wouldn't be a real company if they aren't making any income... But todays kids are stupid also for actually spending that much money on a "free game". I've seen lots of people do this, and if you want to know how much this kid actually spent, well, you don't... Or atleast shouldn't, let's just say that he spent more than a yearly income...

Or...

37,000 Euros

And let's just remember that this happened because of his stupid mom who almost "let" him rob his GRANDFATHER'S CREDIT CARD

It's not a trap if you're not stupid.

Come on dude, you can't be forced to enter your credit card details...

Well, some people just can't help to...

free to play is pay to win now

but i feel like that's how it's been for a while

It's not a trap if you're not stupid.

Come on dude, you can't be forced to enter your credit card details...

True, it was dumb to spend all that money on it. But a point is made: free to play games are usually pay to win (there are exceptions of course)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you don't know what Free to Play means... It's basically a game which advertises itself as free, but it pulls you in a trap. You have micro transactions and benefits if you pay

Not true of all Free to Play games.

Perfect example, my friend got 750 dollars from his grandma and spent it on RP in LoL... He has lots of skins.

Some games are pay to win in the free to play model but not all of them. There are very good Free to Play games out there that's model allows purchase of in game ascetics and easy of life perks but no game changing items. as for this idiot 15 year old. I call BS and if not then "Stupid is as stupid does."

We can build it, we have the technology!

F2p MMOS= Pay to Win

F2p MOBAS (Dota2, Smite) = Pay to look cool

Paying anything for a f2p game= dumb

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

Probably the only F2P game that isn't P2W is TF2.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

F2P? I can't even afford a game if I can't win. Especially steam. Every game on there is paid. not fair.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D