Did I damage my msi gtx 970 (I'm an idiot)

Matthew12106

So I'd like to start this off by saying I'm a complete stupid idiot... Ok lets continue

So literally just received my MSI gtx 970 and installed it now. If any of you are familiar with the msi gtx 970 you will know two things one it has a 0db fan technology and two there is a sticker on the first fan that covers allot of the shroud that says REMOVE BEFORE GAMING. I think the reason this is there because it gives you a hint that the spans don't spin for a reason (because it's not under load not because their broken). So I am quite excited and as you can probably tell my now I installed it with the sticker on. So I did my first boot and when I was downloading the driver I was like hmm the fans shouldnt be spinning let me take a look :D. The fans were not spinning but Then my face when I see I left the sticker on I straight away take it off after shutting down and re-boot. So I noticed this it spins during the boot up and then it shuts off... So I'm guessing they were trying to spin in my first boot but they couldn't because of the sticker... Do you think I damaged the fan motor or something... Why am I so stupid

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

No you wont have damaged anything. Modern hardware will reach a thermal trip limit and then shutdown your PC for safety. So if this did not happen and you weren't doing anything silly like bench testing all is ok :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

So I'd like to start this off by saying I'm a complete stupid idiot... Ok lets continue

So literally just received my MSI gtx 970 and installed it now. If any of you are familiar with the msi gtx 970 you will know two things one it has a 0db fan technology and two there is a sticker on the first fan that covers allot of the shroud that says REMOVE BEFORE GAMING. I think the reason this is there because it gives you a hint that the spans don't spin for a reason (because it's not under load not because their broken). So I am quite excited and as you can probably tell my now I installed it with the sticker on. So I did my first boot and when I was downloading the driver I was like hmm the fans shouldnt be spinning let me take a look :D. The fans were not spinning but Then my face when I see I left the sticker on I straight away take it off after shutting down and re-boot. So I noticed this it spins during the boot up and then it shuts off... So I'm guessing they were trying to spin in my first boot but they couldn't because of the sticker... Do you think I damaged the fan motor or something... Why am I so stupid

I dont think you would have damaged the fan motor , maybe load up a game and see if the spin up ? monitor your temps all the time tho :)

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

I believe the fans only start spinning when the card reaches 65C or so.

Use something like MSI Kombustor and see if after a while the fans start spinning.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Use something like MSI Kombustor and see if after a while the fans start spinning.

I dont think you would have damaged the fan motor , maybe load up a game and see if the spin up ? monitor your temps all the time tho :)

No you wont have damaged anything. Modern hardware will reach a thermal trip limit and then shutdown your PC for safety. So if this did not happen and you weren't doing anything silly like bench testing all is ok :)

Alright to those of you talking about thermal stuff it doesn't spin until 60 or 65 whatever it still does spin up during booting I was just worried if the fan motor got damaged when It was trying to spin the first boot

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

Alright to those of you talking about thermal stuff it doesn't spin until 60 or 65 whatever it still does spin up during booting I was just worried if the fan motor got damaged when It was trying to spin the first boot

It does that to clear dust from the heatsink... most new cards do that now.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

No you cannot damage those fan motors by stalling them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That motor should be fine

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Thanks guys I was getting kinda worried

The motor is fine.  It's not strong enough to damage anything if the fan can't spin.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

you ruined everything.  ;)

nah, should be all good.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I was lead to believe that the fans spin up during boot and then stop once you've booted. Almost like how case fans are at 100% during boot and how some graphics cards spin in the other direction on boot to clear out the dust. Put it through a Benchmark test and see if they spin :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

as long as it wasn't being impeded from spinning by the sticker for a very long period of time its probably fine

A lot of people have removed the stickers. If anything did break Msi said they would cover it (rma). If it works you did everything right as others have said.

@Matthew12106 Apparently MSI is telling end users to RMA cards that came with stickers across the fan.  There's a thread about it in the Tech News & Reviews subforum.  I would link it for you, but my copy/paste doesn't work.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

AND IT FUCKING AWESOME! The other day I was cleaning out dust from my case. Cpu heatsink had a nice layer of dust. Gpu had nearly none. Except on the heat pipe.