New x99 Based Build - Need Help

IcoNiiiKK

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so go easy  :P ,

I am currently looking to build a future proof x99 based build as my current x58 platform is on its last legs. I have a budget on around 6000 Australian Dollars and have put together a list of parts i have found to my liking and would love some input.

Also I have never overclocked my pc before as any attempt caused immediate bluescreen, and would love to attempt it with my new build.

This is a basic list and not final, if you think anything else is a better fit i would love the input.

MB:                      ASUS Rampage V Extreme Motherboard

CPU:                    Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition

RAM:                   Ripjaws G-Skill 32G Kit 2666 (8Gx4)                                                       Mabye 64G, Or is that overkill

GFX:                    ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix DirectCU II 4GB                                    Mabye 2 in the future in SLI Config

HDD:           Samsung 840 EVO 1TB

COOLING CPU:  NZXT Kraken X61 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler                                   Is the corsair Products better in terms of overclocking and heat dissipation 

CASE:                 NZXT Phantom 820 Case Matte Black

PSU:           Corsair AX1500i Titanium Power Supply                            Not sure if needed but may want SLI graphics in the future.

DISPLAY:           Samsung U28D590D 28in UHD 4K Monitor                        Mabye the Asus Competitor?

Thanks, and look forward to the discussion.

I am currently looking to build a future proof x99 based build

@LinusTech will be so happy to read that :P

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

What do you need 8 cores, 32GB and 1500W for. Also, you will struggle to play 4K with a single 980

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Love the quick Reply's :D , The Whole concept im going for is longevity, therefor the reason im going 1500w is just case in the future i find 1x980 isn't enough and i decide i want 2 or even 4, and as i said im not to good at overclocking and i always assumed it put heaps of load on the psu.

The x99 platform is seeming to be the newest and the x79 platform is starting to get a bit dated in my mindset.

Love the quick Reply's :D , The Whole concept im going for is longevity, therefor the reason im going 1500w is just case in the future i find 1x980 isn't enough and i decide i want 2 or even 4, and as i said im not to good at overclocking and i always assumed it put heaps of load on the psu.

The x99 platform is seeming to be the newest and the x79 platform is starting to get a bit dated in my mindset.

i have no problem with x99 but you are wasting a good $600 or so on 2 more cores you don't need. also even 3 980s and an i7 wont utilize 1500W. Quad-SLi has a negligible performance gain and is primarily for looks. If you are no good at overclocking, maybe you shouldn't even buy an i7. Not that you have to OC if you buy an i7, but seriously what are you going to do with the PC? 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

What do you need 8 cores, 32GB and 1500W for. Also, you will struggle to play 4K with a single 980

Well my thinking is : go for broke on the biggest cpu out there overclock it and hopefully it will last long enough and be able to compete with the newer generations when they eventually arrive, 

so should i go 2x980's or even mabye the new 980ti that was rumored if it arrives this year. :P

Don't ever go for 4 cards.

It's a waste of money due to scaling, you will actually be loosing performance with 3 cards. 

You won't even need 1500W for 4 cards, unless you are going AMD. 

EDIT: To be honest, a 1200W card is good enough, I know it's more than I will ever use. (At least for the next 5 years. )

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Well my thinking is : go for broke on the biggest cpu out there overclock it and hopefully it will last long enough and be able to compete with the newer generations when they eventually arrive, 

so should i go 2x980's or even mabye the new 980ti that was rumored if it arrives this year. :P

if you want 4k go 2, maybe 3 cards max. Don't do x99 if you aren't using the CPU power. stick with z97 and buy a nice 4790k. You can OC, it is "competetive" (whatever that means for you) and it will not bottleneck you for the next 3 years. Once Skylake comes out, buy that! The so called 980Ti might very well turn out to be the next Titan and thus has just as good a price/performance ratio as a quad SLi setup. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Don't ever go for 4 cards.

It's a waste of money due to scaling, you will actually be loosing performance with 3 cards. 

You won't even need 1500W for 4 cards, unless you are going AMD. 

so only 2x980 or 980ti equiv' and go lower that 1500 like 1000 or even 1200

850W is plenty

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Here's how longevity works.. You buy what you need that isn't insanely priced and when you need something faster or new then you won't have blown your money on a bunch of junk you never really used.

Perfect, unless you're running surround or 4K 1-2 cards is plenty. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I would go with the following if you're purely looking at gaming though even then it's overkill:

• 4790K - switch down to 1150 to save money to better spend. Will offer same performance for gaming
  • Asus or Gigabyte Z97 mATX top end board - They have the best service if you're in Melbourne. Asus is in the city and Gigabyte next door to work in Clayton. Asrock is overseas and MSI is Sydney.
  • 16GB of Kingston/Corsair/G.Skill - Doesn't really matter which
  • 2 x GTX980 (EVGA, Asus) - Don't go the Gigabyte if you're going reference as they put their logo on the side of the card and it looks horrible.
  • Dual 256GB 850 Pro's + 3TB HDD's - Faster and more options.
  • Whichever cooler
  • Corsair 350D/Fractal Mini R2 - The 820 is absolutely huge. If you want to get an idea for size, it's on display at work.
  • EVGA/Silverstone 850W - Don't go the RM/AX/HX series PSU's from Corsair. The PSU's are good but the cables on them are a pain in the arse to cable manage. They're flat ribbons and after building nearly 30 rigs with them, I have learned to hate them. The 24 pin becomes such a pain.
  • Asus 4K or 34UM95 - The Samsung is good but the stand isn't great. The Asus looks identical but comes with a better stand.

if you want 4k go 2, maybe 3 cards max. Don't do x99 if you aren't using the CPU power. stick with z97 and buy a nice 4790k. You can OC, it is "competetive" (whatever that means for you) and it will not bottleneck you for the next 3 years. Once Skylake comes out, buy that! The so called 980Ti might very well turn out to be the next Titan and thus has just as good a price/performance ratio as a quad SLi setup. 

Perfect, unless you're running surround or 4K 1-2 cards is plenty. 

Here's how longevity works.. You buy what you need that isn't insanely priced and when you need something faster or new then you won't have blown your money on a bunch of junk you never really used.

4k is defiantly on the books as what im looking for, as i see it as the new up and coming resolution benchmark as 1080p is now

4k is defiantly on the books as what im looking for, as i see it as the new up and coming resolution benchmark as 1080p is now

just so you know, there is also 1440p ;) 

Still if you want 4k you DO NOT need x99 nor 32GB ram. 

Answer me this in detail: WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE PC???

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

just so you know, there is also 1440p ;)

Still if you want 4k you DO NOT need x99 nor 32GB ram. 

Answer me this in detail: WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE PC???

Gaming is my main focus for the build, so essentially running a+ titles at full graphics at 40-60+ fps

but i also do alot of Graphic Design and logo work in my spare time through Solidworks generally on multiple projects concurrently and my x58 platform falls flat on its face at 16g ram and will bluescreen if i have too many projects open at once.

I would go with the following if you're purely looking at gaming though even then it's overkill:

• 4790K - switch down to 1150 to save money to better spend. Will offer same performance for gaming
  • Asus or Gigabyte Z97 mATX top end board - They have the best service if you're in Melbourne. Asus is in the city and Gigabyte next door to work in Clayton. Asrock is overseas and MSI is Sydney.
  • 16GB of Kingston/Corsair/G.Skill - Doesn't really matter which
  • 2 x GTX980 (EVGA, Asus) - Don't go the Gigabyte if you're going reference as they put their logo on the side of the card and it looks horrible.
  • Dual 256GB 850 Pro's + 3TB HDD's - Faster and more options.
  • Whichever cooler
  • Corsair 350D/Fractal Mini R2 - The 820 is absolutely huge. If you want to get an idea for size, it's on display at work.
  • EVGA/Silverstone 850W - Don't go the RM/AX/HX series PSU's from Corsair. The PSU's are good but the cables on them are a pain in the arse to cable manage. They're flat ribbons and after building nearly 30 rigs with them, I have learned to hate them. The 24 pin becomes such a pain.
  • Asus 4K or 34UM95 - The Samsung is good but the stand isn't great. The Asus looks identical but comes with a better stand.

the z97 system seems to be the general consensus, im surprised alot more people aren't pusing the x99 systems :P ,

Also ive seen the one at the store in malvern i only live 2 mins away  :D and i fell in love with it, the size of it is stunning and i would love all that room as i found the mid size tower im in ATM the Termaltake armor mx+ is simply S@#% with 0 cable managment options

So it dosnt matter in terms of cpu cooling between the x61 and the corsair equiv'? as i want to do overclocking

Yeah, I realise 4K is this shiny new resolution that people are clamouring to get, but honestly even with two cards you'll be hitting ~40fps on most triple A titles maxed out, and with three or more cards you'll run into so many issues it won't be worth it. I have dual 290X cards and have the option to go 4K since they're still at the top of most 4K benchmarks, but I'm holding out for a 21:9 1440p screen with FreeSync.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

At the moment i do Game alot on consoles but really want to move over to pc for the better experience and way better graphics, so i intent on pushing the pc pretty hard with overclocking,

but in my spare time i do alot of graphics design and CAD Design work through Solidworks and my x58 system is useless

look, for graphics design you wont need an extreme CPU. If you want to or are doing CAD rendering professionally then yes, a CPU with more cores will generally help (depends on engine). In that case, a xeon processor would have the better price/core ratio.

the z97 system seems to be the general consensus, im surprised alot more people aren't pusing the x99 systems :P ,

Sounds like to me you aren't the one paying for the computer. Not everyone has a sheer unlimited source of money they can go waste on overkill hardware.

So it dosnt matter in terms of cpu cooling between the x61 and the corsair equiv'? as i want to do overclocking

since you are an overclocking noob I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2C. Some say NZXT, some say H100i. If you want best possible cooling then have someone build you a custom loop.

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

1. Don't get a 4K screen (not worth it and graphics cards are not ready for it and only if you have better than 40:40 vision) Check out:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-205-SA&groupid=17&catid=1120

and

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=1120&sortby=manual_sort&catid=1120&mfrid=61

Personally I would go with a 36" or 40" - 1080p TV from Samsung or LG (make sure has low response times)

AND avoid 3D on both PC and TV. It's just shait.

2. 32GB of ram will do fine, 64 is the cost of a new low/mid range PC!

Also note DDR4 ram is no better than DDR3

3. PSU - You want 850W to 1000W - I'm about to buy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-019-SF

4. CPU - I would go for the 5930K and overclock to 4Ghz (your asus motherboard software will do that for you automatically)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-548-IN

Only get the one you want if you do lots of cad, 3d, video editing work

5. CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X61 AIO

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-014-NX

6. The NZXT case your looking at is HUGE and I mean massive, get one of the other ones if you want a pc that doesn't fill the whole room

look, for graphics design you wont need an extreme CPU. If you want to or are doing CAD rendering professionally then yes, a CPU with more cores will generally help (depends on engine). In that case, a xeon processor would have the better price/core ratio.

Sounds like to me you aren't the one paying for the computer. Not everyone has a sheer unlimited source of money they can go waste on overkill hardware.

since you are an overclocking noob I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2C. Some say NZXT, some say H100i. If you want best possible cooling then have someone build you a custom loop.

Ive heard from colleagues the xeon isnt too crash hot for gaming, i use it at work for cad and assumed it was only good for high load work like video rendering ect.,

Its a build ive been anticipating for about a year and have been saving accordingly , i have roughly 10k for the build but only want to realistically want to spend max 6kish.

i would love a full custom water system but in melbourne i have no idea who will build one on an existing system, and for that dilema alone i was thinking closed loop.

1. Don't get a 4K screen (not worth it and graphics cards are not ready for it and only if you have better than 40:40 vision) Check out:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-205-SA&groupid=17&catid=1120

and

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=1120&sortby=manual_sort&catid=1120&mfrid=61

Personally I would go with a 36" or 40" - 1080p TV from Samsung or LG (make sure has low response times)

AND avoid 3D on both PC and TV. It's just shait.

2. 32GB of ram will do fine, 64 is the cost of a new low/mid range PC!

Also note DDR4 ram is no better than DDR3

3. PSU - You want 850W to 1000W - I'm about to buy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-019-SF

4. CPU - I would go for the 5930K and overclock to 4Ghz (your asus motherboard software will do that for you automatically)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-548-IN

Only get the one you want if you do lots of cad, 3d, video editing work

5. CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X61 AIO

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-014-NX

6. The NZXT case your looking at is HUGE and I mean massive, get one of the other ones if you want a pc that doesn't fill the whole room

i would love a 36+ inch screen but im sitting less than 20" from the screen,

thats the problem (sort off) with the x99 systems you need to go ddr4

and i know the case size its stunning and i love it :P

1. For a screen then check LG Flattron (non curved one if your that close - it says 34" but its the same height as a 27.5" monitor)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-106-LG&groupid=17&catid=1120

2. If pice is no limit then get the CPU you wanted and over clock that with the asus software automatically to 4Ghz

3. I would still recommend the same case from NXZT just the smaller version

4. DDR4 only on these machines yep, but if price no limit then go for 64GB (I max out 16GB quite easily with UE4 editor, visual studio, photoshop and CubeMap tools open)

Just one thing, hold back about 3 months on graphics card purchase if your interested in the 980... There are rumors of a 990 and possibly a 980ti coming out... But these are just rumors...

980 = 780ti - 5fps typically.

If it might help you at all, I have been holding out on building a new rig for about a year now, and was scheduling it for the 880 aka 980 release. But after seeing what was released, I voted against it. This is why:

1. 980 is just a 780ti (yes I know all the differences but actual performance benchmarks so far show it to be nothing special in comparison)

2. 980 & 780ti dont power 4k @60FPS constants at the moment, I want a single card that can at least get close

3. 3GHz forced to overclock to 4!! Come on intel, just do it for us!

4. DDR4 ram at 400% price cost! WTF

So my upgrade projection is this:

Q4 2015 - Price £2000 to £3000

1. Skylake (flagship chip)

2. Best mid to high range mobo

3. PSU I already listed above

4. Estimated GTX1080 which should be on new nm process and show an actual improvement from the 780ti

5. Max out ram, normal speeds, it doesn't affect pc speeds anyway same with DDR3 vs DDR4 don't (not to the human eye)

6. The oculus rift

;)