Kid spends 37,000 EUR on a free to play game

Nineshadow

That's $46,381.90, according to today's conversion rates. More than some people make in a year!

zt5xa3acrjoyfh2meupv.png

Horror stories about how much money people have spent on stuff you can buy in games have been around as long as there has been microtransactions and in-app purchases. But one teenager in Belgium went absolutely crazy with the amount of money he poured into online strategy game Game of War: Fire Age.

According to Belgian news outlet Nieuwsblad, the unnamed kid was reportedly buying in-game gold via his grandfather's credit card. The credit card info was given to him by his mother, who had requested her son's help to buy and download eBooks onto her tablet. After linking the credit card to his own iTunes account, he spent thousands of euros on gold in Game of War: Fire Age over the course of a couple of months. The boy's mother says that he claims not to have known that he was spending real money.

There's been recent concern about the messaging around in-app purchases in similar free-to-play games, which has led the European Commission to strongly recommend that apps built on the business model no longer call themselves 'free'. Google's App Store has changed its policies to fall in line with the new rules. While Apple hasn't followed suit, the company behind the iPhone and iPad has intervened in the past when kids have unwittingly made large in-app purchases. We've reached out to representatives for Machine Zone, the company that makes Game of War: Fire Age and will update this post if we hear back.

Source

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jeeeeeez.

Some kids...oh wait,I'm 15 too.I'm not that stupid though,not even close.

Some would blame the mother,but hey,she was used by her son to his benefit.It's not entirely her fault.However,not noticing that amount of money going away...wtf.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

what the heck where do these people get all this money

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

More interesting,how the hell didn't the mother notice 40 000 EUR just going away.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

that's credit cards for you

also the fuck kind of parent are these?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Jeeeeeez.

Some kids...oh wait,I'm 15 too.I'm not that stupid though,not even close.

Some would blame the mother,but hey,she was used by her son to his benefit.It's not entirely her fault.

I wasn't that retarded at the age of 15 wth , and i remember because it was 2 years ago ... I've seen cases with 7-8 year olds but 15 ? In a year in America he would be given a the responsibility to drive a car

Step 1: Be rich

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit

ok

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

More interesting,how the hell didn't the mother notice 40 000 EUR just going away.

i have know idea why she wouldn't notice

Spoiler

Just.. I don't care how they have that much money, but this is something that is bound to happen many times over when people are irresponsible and let a kid have hold of a credit card.  I am only 18, but I find that when you're still in your early, early 20's and teens you are still a kid no matter what and hell even in to your later 20's you are.  I really hope there was discipline in this even if the kid, "Didn't know he was spending real money" at 15 I expect a kid knows what they're doing with a credit-card and ESPECIALLY from Belgium. There's no probable way the old man will get back his money, which was probably hard-earned, but I do hope he does get his money back as this is just.. stupid of a situation.  

And how much shit could you manage to buy in-game with 37,000 Euros...

Wow , did they receive a refund or smth ?

Hope not

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Hope not

Spinning cock does not approve of your evilness

Education issue here. What the hell is doing this mother with his son? When I was that age, I used to play ogame. By this time, they only have commander mode, and I had to suffer and sweat in order to have my mom's phone, send a message and have a week of commander mode... Forget about having a credit card on my hands. I had my own debit card, and only if I had found a job, I could have some money in there.

Learning from Spain, don't be rude if I can't understand everything you write down to me O_o'

I don't know and i don't care, i just want to know if he/she wants to buy anything of mine for that price. I got furniture, cookware, carpets, food....come and buy 37,000 EUROs for each item is fair -_-

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

The part about him "not knowing he was spending real money" nearly made me spit my tea all over my monitor.

If you had read the article, you'd realize that the Mother didn't own the credit card. It was the Grandfather's card.

that's credit cards for you

also the fuck kind of parent are these?

See above. The mother likely didn't know until it was FAR too late.

And I think this kid is either one of the following:

1. Actually mentally disabled/under developed. If so, this is tragic and nothing else.

2. A fucking dumbass who is completely inconsiderate to others.

I can't think of any other possible alternatives. No normal teenager would do this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What kind of banks are those that don't send messages to account holders about their account being debited/credited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

What kind of banks are those that don't send messages to account holders about their account being debited/credited.

Then again so heavily and continuously 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This is just dumb and the kid's parents most probably made him spoiled by now but its not completely their fault though....other roles may be playing a factor as well 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I believe an open-hand slap is in order...two if the mother is feeling adventurous.

" Free To Play Game " ...I hope no one will play that with this thing + other companys won't let you add more than $200 $300 in a rly short time of time, cuz they will bann you account or they are just worried what's going on, if thoese are real money. Never heard of this game.

Use real money to buy fake money! What?!

What's sad is you get to see more and more of these game, where you use real money to buy virtual junk. Shows how confident them developers are with their shitty ass games.

They know it won't sell, so they use this tactic to get money. And those who actually spend real money are 10x as stupid, especially those that write reviews on it and say spending real money is worth it.

http://www.gameskinny.com/1b054/candy-crush-represents-everything-thats-wrong-with-mobile-gaming

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list