Smallest upgrades that made all the difference?

Have you ever made just one little tweak to your system that made it sooo much easier to look at? This is the first time I have done something so small, that still made a big difference to me.

First, I will have you know, that I have a Thermaltake 850 Smart M series PSU. Unfortunately, it is only semi-modular, and so the 24-pin and 4x2-pin cords are permanently attached. This would be FINE, if they didn't look like this:

Old 24-pin

It's an eyesore! So I decided to do something about it. I went shopping for the cheapest blue braided cables I could find with decent reviews. These came up on Amazon for 5 bucks.

New 24-pin

So, it was time. I opened up the case with gusto, and unplugged the ugly vermin cables that had drawn my eyes for almost a year. This was their time to go into hiding. And so they did. They now reside in the depths of hell, behind the motherboard tray.

connecting old to new 24-pin

After blending old and new, the time had come to introduce the new power-giver to the rest of the parts. It wasn't easy at first, they would not bend freely to my will. But as time went on, they gave way to my threats of fire and snips. 

Fitting through

After a while, they allowed me to bend them to meet their final resting place. It was a match made in heaven, and they could not be happier.

Connected, case open, powered off.

​Even at night, it looks as if there will be no problems. Except maybe a yell or two from the old replaced neighbor behind the tray.

Connected, case closed, powered on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share your story with me! Have you made some small tweak to your system that makes a big difference? Or a difference just to you? Let me know. This could be fun, and give some people some new ideas maybe.

CPU FX 8350 OCed to 4.7GHz  Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4 RAM 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) PNY 1600  GPU Sapphire R9 280  Case Fractal Design Define S  Storage Seagate - 1TB Internal, WD Blue 250Gb PSU Thermaltake Smart 'M' Series 850 watt modular PSU.  Display(s) (Right now) AOC 22" 69V Series 6ms response time IPS monitor  Cooling 2 Fractal Design Case Fans, CPU cooled by Cryorig H5 Ultimate  Keyboard Razer Black Widow (2013) Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

An Antec Lanboy Air? foxhound590, I have found your closest relative.

On topic, I recall being bombarded to remove the yellow tag from a fan in my original build.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Looks awesome! very nice, simple upgrade. :)

I know for me it was tossing the stock Intel CPU cooler, installing a Corsair H60 AIO instead and spending an hour or so re-doing all the cable management. In a mini-ITX case (Node 304) with a non-modular PSU, it can be a little tricky, but it's worth the effort and makes what little space you have, that much more open and easier to work in going forward.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I initially derped when I built my system, not noticing that there is a tiny hole in the motherboard tray to fit your ATX12V power cable through. So I ran it across the board. Eventually, while upgrading from the Intel stock cooler to my current Noctua NH-U12S, I noticed that it was actually possible to cram that power cable through the hole so it wouldn't have to run across the board but could be tucked away behind the motherboard tray.

Of course the sexy Noctua brown probably made a bigger difference, but that's not really a small upgrade compared to the stock cooler. :P

These things 

sku3725.jpg

made my GPU with NZXT G10 and X40 usable and overclockable.

Spoiler

nice thing you did there.. I run a GTX 280 with a Zalman VF3000 cooler, in a rly old silly case with a 10 fan at back and x2 8 at front I belive, but somehow I installed a 12 fan in front. Also the case have on the side of some holes. So at the begining I had push pull and the temps in games such as Tera, were 87+ and then it throteled. Same with all games, I tried tons of extra fans on the card, with no side panel all kind of s**t and nothing. So what i did, I'm using the front back fans for out take the air, and on the side panel which is exactly where the card is, i added x2 8m fans to also take out the air and how the design for gpu cooler is, it works just great, so now with an oc from 602 to 684 I barely hit 70-75 degree.

I bought a NZXT Hue. The thing is worth every penny! The thing worth mentioning ís that it mixes the color you want out of Red Green and blue. So the percieved color is the one you dial in, but your components (e.g. red) get shine at with red green and blue light, first of which is reflected and makes the colors pop out at you more. That effect works astonishingly well.

Here's a photo i took with my potatoe.

BTW, what extension is that? I am on the search for cheap-ish ones.

Edit: Edited in the purple picture. With regular - actual purple light - the components would look all mushy and faded. But with the NZXT Hue... wink.png

post-31147-0-93883300-1412358857_thumb.j

post-31147-0-20321700-1412359121_thumb.j

who cares...

Tucking away a 360 Wireless Reciever in the case though the water cooling holes.

That's genius. Finally a use for those pointless grommets.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

BTW, what extension is that? I am on the search for cheap-ish ones.

Vantacor cables. They also have them in green, black and red. I'm not a huge fan of their red though. It seems faded, and doesn't really pop.

CPU FX 8350 OCed to 4.7GHz  Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4 RAM 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) PNY 1600  GPU Sapphire R9 280  Case Fractal Design Define S  Storage Seagate - 1TB Internal, WD Blue 250Gb PSU Thermaltake Smart 'M' Series 850 watt modular PSU.  Display(s) (Right now) AOC 22" 69V Series 6ms response time IPS monitor  Cooling 2 Fractal Design Case Fans, CPU cooled by Cryorig H5 Ultimate  Keyboard Razer Black Widow (2013) Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

These things 

sku3725.jpg

made my GPU with NZXT G10 and X40 usable and overclockable.

I've been looking at similar products for a the same thing on my R9 290. Can you find a link to the site you got them from? I'm trying to see what all is out there for these.

I've been looking at similar products for a the same thing on my R9 290. Can you find a link to the site you got them from? I'm trying to see what all is out there for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enzotech-Copper-MOSFET-Cooler-10PK-MOS-C1-/390902898934?pt=US_Memory_Chipset_Cooling&hash=item5b03a0e0f6

You will have to cut the heat fins on some because they will interfere with the G10's 80 mm fan.

Get this also : http://www.ebay.com/itm/4cm-wide-1meter-long-double-sided-Thermal-Adhesive-Tape-for-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-/400780945567?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item5d5067e89f

Heatsinks come with a thermal adhesive, but it doesn't hurt to have some if some heatsinks don't stick well.

Spoiler

1. Ziptied a fan to a neighbour's POS passive gpu. Saved it from sure death and got rid of thermal throttling.

2. Voltmodded the cpu fan to 7V, because it ran on max rpm all the time (3pin fan on 4pin header).

Less overheating and less noise.

LED Strips behind mobo for an underglow, seriously made it look 1000x better

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Can't find pics right now, but right angled 24 pin connector easily, cables don't loop over the top= less messy/cluttery looking.

Be careful with that 24 pin extender, mine melted onto the original plug on my power supply and caused random shut downs lol

Be careful with that 24 pin extender, mine melted onto the original plug on my power supply and caused random shut downs lol

That sounds more like a dodgy psu, unless you had a massive resistor in the cable wedged into the socket at the volatages, amperage and resistance that would be normal that realy shouldn't happen.