[DIY] Pimping Vacuum Tubes Amp Light Color (image heavy)

creatip123

I've seen some vacuum tube amps that got a light (mostly LED) lighting the tube from below, for aesthetic purpose (nothing to do with the sounds). I'm using the Aune T1 tube dac/amp, and it also got that LED light below the tube:

IMG_3494_zps9e5f3e79.jpg

The LED installed is bright white. It's neutral colored, and frankly a bit boring. So I thought why not do something to change the color of the light? I think there are many vacuum tube amp users that have already done this, so this is by no mean a new idea.

The proper way to do this, is of course by opening the case, take out the insides, uninstall the stock LED, and replace it with the LED color of your choosing. Unfortunately this would void the warranty for sure, and not all people are comfortable of the idea of changing stock parts by themselves. Also it wouldn't be easily reversible.

So I went with the workaround that'd give a somewhat similar result. Painting the bottom part of the tube itself. This is very easy to do, and easily reversible.

IMG_5249_zpsfce48308.jpg

This is the part of the tube that we gonna paint. Don't worry about paint seeping inside the tube through the legs, because if it's sealed enough to keep air in and out, it'd be sealed enough to do the same with liquid (paint or ink).

Now you can use color markers or sharpies for easy coloring, but it's kinda hard to get in the spaces between the legs. That's why I chose painting it with paints, instead with markers.

IMG_5246_zpsef261e09.jpg

Turns out I still got my coloring paints and equipment from when I'm still collecting Gundam models. Those are acrylic paints (not water based), so it should stick better to glass, and more heat resistant (compared to water based). You can experiment with color mixes, and you can even try painting the tube first to see if you like the resulting color or not. If you don't, like I said, it's easily reversible. Just wet the dried paint with the manufacturer's thinner, the blue capped glass bottle on the left (don't use any other chemicals if you don't really know which would work and which won't). Those paints are smelly and produce a bit of fumes, so you should do the painting in a well ventilated room. If you've never used these kind of paints before, just do some googling on 'how to paint gundam' for a crash course.

IMG_5241_zpsbfb17c98.jpg

Paint layer(s) could cover the metal connector, so make sure you don't get paints around the 'b' part. 'a' part should be OK to get paints on. If you accidentally get paints on the b part, just brush it with the thinner, and wipe off with a paper towel.

IMG_5254_zpsa7d9c218.jpg

After testing with a few colors, I decided to go with red. You're aiming for about 70%-80% opacity (20%-30% transparency). 2-3 layers of thin coats should do. Too much layers and it will be too opaque to let the LED light through.

This actually works both ways. There are some people who don't want the tube to be lit up by the LED in the bottom. Maybe too bright in a dark room, or they just want to see the natural amber glow of the components inside the tube. To do this, use black paint, and paint it opaque. Or you could just use a silver or gold marker, the type often used by celebs to sign autographs. 

Leave it to dry a little bit, maybe 10-15 minutes, just to avoid drippings. It won't be completely cured in 15 minutes, but doesn't matter, because it's not a part where you'd touch it anyway. The heat from the tube will dry it further. 

So here are the results:

IMG_5274_zpsc01839ab.jpg

IMG_5259_zps2994f8e4.jpg

IMG_5263_zps6efd0803.jpg

And this is what it looks like when it's dark

IMG_5265_zps0ec35172.jpg

The light won't be as bright as compared to changing the LED itself, because the paint absorbs the light. So if you want a better result, you gotta change the LED, but like I said, more hassles and risks.

Remember, this is for aesthetic purpose only, nothing to do with the sounds it's producing. 

Would try this but my Lyr doesn't have LED's under the tubes

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []