Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Looks like Windows is doing an A/B test on the Settings panel.

DuOIRLCXcAAL7pU.jpg.c0b1fd333b07608bec552f1a3fb27866.jpg

A user on Twitter who follows Windows Insider noted this:

Another user noted the same, but here it with the white theme:
DuJVn1TW0AAxXI1..jpg.54b1dfafafe13286c4053c18205426ad.jpg

On 12/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

And no signs of Sets (tabbed shell) ever coming back... =/

Doesn't look like. I think this feature is on hold.

It seems that the company is more focusing on polishing Windows 10.

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't look like. I think this feature is on hold.

It seems that the company is more focusing on polishing Windows 10.

So, sets is dead?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

23 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, sets is dead?

We really know nothing.  It may be still worked on the back and they have nothing to show yet.

Or, it might be dropped and reworked due to Edge switching to Chrome, or reworking it simply because it was found to not be useful enough.

Your guess is as good as mine. But no information of it being killed (nor any similar to Windows 10 Mobile PR statements) was mentioned.

A new build was released today, I don't have time for write up at this moment. But it includes a Sandbox Windows that you enable from the Optional Features panels at the cost of 100MB once run for the first time, giving you a sandbox environment to test apps, or try system things.

Polish on the interface, such as shadow on UWP app right-click menus, more organized Start Menu experience when creating a new account (or do a clean install), Settings panel home page was changed a bit, re-adding some features that were removed to be worked further on and more

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18305/

New Build! Build 18305

This one is pretty exciting!

What's new:

• Not mentioned, but I have noticed. After 3 years and half... Windows 10 on screen screen keyboard, FINALLY,  resizes the maximized programs so that the keyboard is no longer obstructing the application. It used to only shift up non-maximized windows before. This feature was lost from Windows 8.x. Glad that it is finally back!

• Sandbox Windows. This is pretty cool. It allows you start a sandbox environment of Windows 10 consuming only 100MB, allowing you fool around the OS and test software. The moment you close it, everything done into that sandbox environment is gone.
    b7ae17c77ab34d9a43adf5b4262dede1-768x512
    Sadly, for me, I don't get it how it works. I have enabled it, as directed, from the Optional Features panel, restarted, and I do see "Windows Sandbox" entry on the Start Menu, but selecting does nothing (beside show the UAC prompt). It doesn't work on my desktop (which also has Hyper-V enabled), nor my Surface Pro 3 (which doesn't have Hyper-V enabled). Does it work for you?

Windows Sandbox is a new lightweight desktop environment tailored for safely running applications in isolation.

How many times have you downloaded an executable file, but were afraid to run it? Have you ever been in a situation which required a clean installation of Windows, but didn’t want to set up a virtual machine?

At Microsoft, we regularly encounter these situations, so we developed Windows Sandbox: an isolated desktop environment where you can run untrusted software without the fear of lasting impact to your device. Any software installed in Windows Sandbox stays only in the sandbox and cannot affect your host. Once Windows Sandbox is closed, all the software with all of its files and state are permanently deleted.

Windows Sandbox has the following properties:

Part of Windows – everything required for this feature ships with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. No need to download a VHD!

Pristine – every time Windows Sandbox runs, it’s as clean as a brand-new installation of Windows Disposable – nothing persists on the device; everything is discarded after you close the application

Secure – uses hardware-based virtualization for kernel isolation, which relies on the Microsoft Hypervisor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host

Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management, and virtual GPU

To install Windows Sandbox, go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off, and then select Enable Windows Sandbox.

To start Windows Sandbox, open the Start menu, enter Windows Sandbox and then select it.

Microsoft does note the following issues:

When Windows Sandbox is first installed and on every servicing event a setup process will run and trigger significant CPU and disk activity for a minute or so. Opening the Start menu in Windows Sandbox takes some time and some Start Menu apps will not run. The time zone is not synchronized between Windows Sandbox and the host. Windows Sandbox does not support installers which require reboot. The Microsoft Store is not supported in Windows Sandbox. Windows Sandbox does not support high dpi displays very well. Windows Sandbox does not fully support multi-monitor configurations.

Here is an article that goes into details on how it works, and why it can do this environment with such small disk footprint:

• Windows Security App now gives more details on history

New Protection History experience: We have had great feedback on our history experience from users, and we’ve listened!  Based on the suggestions and feedback we’ve received, the Protection history experience in Windows Security has been completely revamped. The new Protection History experience still shows you detections by Windows Defender Antivirus, but it’s now updated to also give more detailed and easier to understand information about threats and available actions. We have also added Controlled folder access blocks to history, along with any blocks which are made through organizational configuration of Attack Surface Reduction Rules. If you use the Windows Defender Offline scanning tool, any detections it makes will now also show in your history.  Additionally, you will see any pending recommendations (red or yellow states from throughout the app) in the history list. We hope you like the changes we’ve made!

It also includes a new option called "Temper protection" which blocks any changes not done through the Windows Security panel directly.

• Windows will auto-execute its troubleshooter when a critical problem arrives to reduce downtime.

Microsoft can automatically fix certain critical problems on your Windows device to keep it running smoothly. For example, we may automatically restore default settings for critical services, adjust feature settings to match your hardware configuration, or make other specific changes required for Windows to operate normally. Critical troubleshooting happens automatically and can’t be turned off.

We’ll also recommend troubleshooting for other problems that aren’t critical to normal Windows operation but might be impacting your experience. For example, we may recommend turning off a setting that sometimes causes an app or feature to crash unexpectedly until an update is available. We’ll let you know when we can help, and you can choose to run the troubleshooter or ignore it. You can also change how recommended troubleshooting is run on your device by opening Start > Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Feedback.

This one concerns me, I have a feeling that it will kick-in for those who goes out of their way to try and disable Windows Update. As mentioned it restores services which it deems critical and can't be turned off.

• You may recall that Windows 10 has this neat feature that auto-logins on the back, after you do an OS upgrade to finish the update process. So that if you are away from the system, and you come back and login, it just goes straight to the account, and not to the "Hi!" set of screens.
    (option for this is located in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Privacy > "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart".

This feature was not available for Enterprise environment. Now it is:

ARSO [Automatic Restart and Sign On (ARSO)]

is a feature that automatically signs-in a user after an update to finish setting up and then locks the PC. This feature is part of our Seamless Update Story for Windows, and its goal is to reduce customer pain points around updates, including things such as post logon set up time and not being able to pick up where you left off.

This feature will be enabled on Cloud Domain Joined devices that meet certain security requirements:

- BitLocker is enabled and is not suspended during the upgrade
       - TPM 2.0
       - SecureBoot

If the toggle is grayed out and Enabled, this means that your IT Admin has explicitly enabled ARSO for you, irrespective of your device’s security requirements.

If the toggle is grayed out and disabled, this means that you do not meet the minimum security requirements for Enterprise ARSO, or your IT Admin has explicitly disabled ARSO for you, irrespective of your device’s security requirements.

To check if your device will get ARSO go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Privacy:

Settings page that shows how to configure ARSO

If the toggle is switched “On” and is not grayed out, then the device meets the security requirements for ARSO, and is enabled by default.

• Task Manager has the option (under the Option menu) to start at a specific tab each time.
    1cf189544fecd6035c4953a01bd66494.png.783aa99b1d3ff6ae37e9ca863179c3aa.png
    (I don't know why, but I don't have that option on either of my system).

• You may have noticed that in the past build, Dates in Detail view may have looked a bit differently. Instead of the traditional layout of showing "2/1/2018 3:46 PM", and get confused which is month and day, especially if you use a variety of systems in Canada as you have a mix of dd/mm/yyyy format and the mm/dd/yyyy format. Well now, you can get friendly name, where you'll get  "February 1st, 2018" instead or "Mon at 3:46 PM" if you are in the same week. You do lose the time from being displayed on the files outside of the same week.

Microsoft does note that this feature is not avail to all.

• Lastly, GUI polish all around. Nothing drastic, but now UWP programs and panels menus have shadows, Start menu with new account creation (or clean install) will start with a more organized layout, you may notice some minor animations improvements. In addition, the Settings panel home screen is updated (again, not for me for some reason), with a top banner, and Clipboard History panel (Win+V) gets a polished looked as well.

• Oh and the stupid "Get Office" app that serves no purpose, now does have some use. It is now called simply "Office", and gives you a menu of the same style of the Office 365 home page when you login on the web, which you can quickly launch an Office product you have installed, and see a list of recent files opened in one of the Office programs part of the suit.

You can read more here:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18305/

Another not mentioned change:
If you go to Settings > Device > Power & sleep. You can now set the Performance and Energy slider on both mobile and desktop systems:
1587144692_Annotation2018-12-19192908.jpg.cbdc5afa2b7dd0299a3cd125854f3f7b.jpg

So I re-installed Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3, and re-updated to the latest insider. (I just wanted to try).

And it seems that some of the features I mentioned are in A/B test (Sandbox still didn't work).

On it, my Mail app is not the same as the one the desktop (before they were), I am on the older version on my Surface Pro 3. The Task Manager startup tab option is now there, and Same with the Settings panel, where I now have the top banner.

So I guess, if you are like me, and you are missing stuff, it looks like A/B testing is being done on some of the announced features.

Started my Surface Pro 3 today, and something has changed...

Capture.PNG.2f280fb82232b2e01015b6ff7c9c30fa.PNG

Cortana has been decoupled from the Windows Search.

Search window works and looks the same as before, minus the left side column, and Cortona opens up the usual Cortana panel of old.

Cortana.png.c74310f12c31ccf0cad9a987543f5d66.png

WebSearch.png.49c2040c10949abdd4537724eb4bbede.png

Works exactly the same as normal search, and looks like web search is still there with Bing.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Works exactly the same as normal search, and looks like web search is still there with Bing.

I think Microsoft still has big strides to make when it comes to search. Personally, I'm never going to the start menu to search Bing, for me I'll always open a browser. I know that Microsoft can't just implement a feature like MacOS Spotlight search quickly, that technology takes time, but that sort of functionality is the dream.

New Build! First one of 2019. Build 18309

As we just came back from the holidays, as you can expect, there is no new features... just bug fixes mostly. Probably, the build that was in testing before the holidays period started internally within Microsoft.

But here are some of the notable changes:

• If you run Windows 10 Pro or higher, and you do a clean install of this Insider build, Microsoft announced that they'll make Cortana voice be muted by default at the OOBE stage. They say the decision was based on feedback, but Windows 10 Home, will still have her enabled.

• Windows Sandbox didn't work for you before? Now it could work. It works now on my Surface Pro 3.

• And:

Streamlined Windows Hello PIN reset experience now available on all Windows editions

We know remembering a PIN can be tricky, so we wanted to provide our Microsoft account users with a revamped Windows Hello PIN reset experience with the same look and feel as signing in on the web. Check it out in today’s build by clicking the ‘I forgot my PIN’ link when signing in to Windows with a PIN.

When originally announced on Build 18305, this experience was only available for Insiders on the Windows 10 Home edition. With today’s update, Insiders can try it out on all Windows 10 editions.

Revamped Windows Hello PIN reset for Microsoft account users.

Signing in to Windows with password-less Microsoft accounts on all Windows 10 editions

We’re pushing forward on eliminating passwords and keeping your accounts safe with another cool feature. With Build 18305, we announced support for setting up and signing in to Windows 10 with a phone number account, without having to create, or deal with the hassle of a password for Insiders using the Windows 10 Home edition. Today, that support is extending to all Windows 10 editions!

If you have a Microsoft account with your phone number, you can use an SMS code to sign in, and set up your account on Windows 10. Once you’ve setup your account, you can use Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, or a PIN (depending on your device capabilities) to sign in to Windows 10. No password needed anywhere!

Creating a password-less phone number account

If you don’t already have a password-less phone number account, you can create one in a mobile app like Word on your iOS or Android device to try it out. Simply go to Word and sign up with your phone number by entering your phone number under “Sign in or sign up for free”.

Add your password-less phone number account to Windows 

Now that you’ve created a password-less phone number account, you can use it to sign in to Windows with the following steps:

Add your account to Windows from Settings > Accounts > Family & other Users > “Add someone else to this PC”. Lock your device and select your phone number account from the Windows sign-in screen.

You can now enjoy the benefits of signing in to Windows with your password-less phone number account.

• Since your account doesn’t have a password, select ‘Sign in options’, click the alternative ‘PIN’ tile, and click ‘Sign in’.
    • Go through web sign in and Windows Hello set up (this is what you’ll use to sign in to your account on subsequent sign ins)

• Narrator Improvements

Add more voices: Users can download additional voices in other languages without having to download language packs.  To do that, go to Narrator Settings and select the “Add more voices” link. Narrator Home navigation: The main actions on Narrator Home, such as QuickStart and Settings, are now buttons and not Listview items. You are now able to tab between all of them. Read Current character phonetics: Added Narrator + 5 twice Narrator command to render current character phonetics. Other improvements:
      • Improved reading of controls while navigating and editing
      • Improved table reading in PowerPoint
      • Improved reading and navigating experiences with Chrome and Narrator
      • Improved interacting with Chrome menu’s with Narrator

Ease of Access Improvements

Cursor and Pointers: Building on our mouse work announced with 18298, we’ve added 11 additional mouse pointer sizes in the Cursor and Pointers settings.  There are now 15 sizes.

As for fixes:

• We fixed an issue where using Hyper-V with an external vSwitch in addition to the default resulted in many UWP apps not being able to connect to the internet.
  • We fixed two issues resulting green screens citing an issue with win32kfull.sys in recent builds – one when using an Xbox controller with your PC, one when interacting with Visual Studio.
  • We fixed an issue where changes to Mouse Keys settings in Settings wouldn’t persist.
  • We’ve made some small adjustments to the text across various pages in Settings.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in XAML context menus across the system sporadically not invoking over the last several flights.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in explorer.exe crashing when right clicking a network printer.
  • If you press WIN+H to start dictation in an unsupported language, we’ve now added a notification explaining that this is why dictation isn’t starting.
  • Based on your feedback, we’re adding a notification now that will appear the very first time you press Left Alt + Shift – it explains that this hotkey triggers an input language change, and includes a direct link to the settings where the hotkey can be disabled, if pressing it was unintentional. Disabling Alt + Shift will not impact the use of WIN + Space, which is the recommended hotkey for changing input methods.
  • We fixed an issue where the cmimanageworker.exe process might hang, causing system slowness or higher than normal CPU usage.
  • Based on feedback, if you clean install Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions of Windows, the Cortana voice-over will be disabled by default. Screen reader users can still choose to start Narrator at any time by pressing WIN + Ctrl + Enter.
  • When Scan Mode is on and Narrator is on a slider, the left and right arrows will decrease and increase the slider. Up and down arrows will continue to navigate to the previous or next paragraph or item. Home and End will move the slider to the beginning or the end.
  • We fixed the issue where Narrator could not be turned off when Narrator message box “Another Ease of Access application is preventing Narrator from supporting touch…” was displayed.
  • We fixed the issue where Narrator did not read process/applications from Task Manager when “More details” view was selected.
  • Narrator now announces the state of hardware buttons such as volume keys.
  • We fixed a couple issues related to mouse pointer sizes not increasing/decreasing properly when DPI is set to something other than 100%.
  • We fixed the issue where Magnifier failed to follow Narrator cursor in Magnifier centered mouse mode if “follow Narrator cursor” option was selected.
  • If you were seeing Windows Defender Application Guard and Windows Sandbox fail to launch on Build 18305 with KB4483214 installed, that will be fixed once you upgrade to this build. If you are still encountering launch issues after upgrading, please log feedback about it and we’ll investigate.
  • We enhanced Windows Sandbox to better support high DPI displays.
  • If you were seeing random yet frequent explorer.exe crashes with Build 18305, we made a server-side change to resolve this over the break. Please let us know if you’re continuing to experience crashes an we’ll investigate. This same issue is suspected to also be the root cause resulting in some Insiders finding Start would reset back to default in the previous build.
  • [ADDED] We fixed an issue resulting in upgrades failing with error code 0x800F081F – 0x20003 if Developer Mode had been enabled.
  • [ADDED] We fixed the issue where the Task Scheduler UI may appear blank even though there are scheduled tasks. For now, you’ll need to use the command line if you want to see them.

Known issues is pretty much the same as last build:

• The hyperlink colors need to be refined in Dark Mode in Sticky Notes if the Insights are enabled.
  • The Windows Security app may show an unknown status for the Virus & threat protection area, or not refresh properly. This may occur after upgrade, restart, or settings changes.
  • Launching games that use BattlEye anti-cheat will trigger a bug check (green screen) – we’re investigating.
  • USB printers may appear twice in the Devices and Printers under Control Panel. Reinstalling the printer will resolve the issue.
  • We’re investigating an issue where clicking your account in Cortana Permissions isn’t bringing up the UI to sign out from Cortana (if you were already signed in) for some users in this build.
  • The Task Scheduler UI may appear blank even though there are scheduled tasks. For now, you’ll need to use the command line if you want to see them. FIXED!
  • Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
  • When attempting to update this build some S Mode devices will download and restart, but fail the update.
  • Night light functionality is impacted by a bug in this build. We’re working on a fix, and it will be included in an upcoming build.
  • When you open Action Center the quick actions section may be missing. Appreciate your patience.
  • Clicking the network button on the sign-in screen doesn’t work.
  • Some text in the Windows Security app may not currently be correct, or may be missing. This may impact the ability to use some features, such as filtering Protection history.
  • Users may see a warning that their USB is currently in use when trying to eject it using File Explorer.  To avoid this warning, close down all open File Explorer windows and eject USB media using the system tray by clicking on ‘Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media’ and then selecting the drive to eject.
  • In certain cases, in may look as though this build downloads and installs successfully but in fact didn’t. If you think you hit this bug, you can type “winver” in the search box on your taskbar to double-check your build number.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/01/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18309/

• 4 weeks later...

So, as you may have noticed that its been a few builds since my last post. This is because there was nothing significant that came out.

Microsoft is focused on bug fixes. Bug bash is starting soon (next week?). This is probably to avoid the disaster of October 2018 release had. In fact, I recall initially this build was supposed to be focused on Fluent Design, new icons. But since the issues of the last version, it looks like Microsoft pulled the breaks, and just a few features were added and the focus seems more on polishing.

It has been discovered that the new version coming out will be called Windows 10 April 2019 Update. Assuming true, it looks like that they are given themselves a solid 2 to 3 months to polish the OS.

It has been revealed that Build for 19H2 has started internally, and Microsoft has quietly open the doors for joining the Skip Ahead ring. So expect, just bug fixes without any changes in Windows 10 on Fast Ring, just bug fixes, and Skip Ahead will soon get new features.

... ah been gone from this thread for to long. So much to catch up on.

Has anyone signed up with the Edge insider yet? I just did today, finally.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

49 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

... ah been gone from this thread for to long. So much to catch up on.

Has anyone signed up with the Edge insider yet? I just did today, finally.

You have been missed :)

I have. I honestly could not stand current Edge. I tried switching over, started well, but too many problems today, as less and less websites cares about it.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You have been missed :)

I have. I honestly could not stand current Edge. I tried switching over, started well, but too many problems today, as less and less websites cares about it.

Thanks...

Admittedly I have been using current Edge less for the same reason. My company uses Google business services so I hae found myself making Chrome my current default. I still go over to edge from time to time for certain things like accessing Microsoft stuff though. Funny though as we may be moving over to Microsoft 365 for business since Google is changing some thing including raising their prices. back on track ... I am kinda excited to see where the new Edge will go. 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft is currently pushing out code of the development branch 20H1 for test users that chose for "skip ahead" on the Windows Insider platform.

Apart from some bugfixes and minor changes, Microsoft is not yet revieling new functionality in the test build, because "Some things we are working on in 20H1 require a longer lead time"

Windows_Homepage_Icon_OS_1920.jpg?versio

A word of caution is included:

IMPORTANT: As is normal with builds early in the development cycle, builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. If you take this flight, you won’t be able to switch back to the Fast or Slow rings without doing a clean-install on your PC and starting over.

If you want to read more about this build, head over to their website

Are you guys on the Insider program? If so, what ring did you opt for?

No signature found

Microsoft is changing things a bit for the Insider program....Skip Ahead.. is more like Skip to the Future.

Microsoft announces that Skip Ahead will enjoy features aimed for not 19H2, but rather 20H1.

Fast Ring will be focused on 19H2.

Slow Ring will focus on polishing 19H1.

Release Preview will get final public testing stages with driver update

Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing a new build to Insiders who have opted into Skip Ahead. These builds are from the 20H1 development branch. Some things we are working on in 20H1 require a longer lead time. We will begin releasing 19H2 bits to Insiders later this spring after we get 19H1 nearly finished and ready; once 19H1 is “nearly finished and ready” we’ll also use the Release Preview ring for previews of drivers and quality updates on 19H1.

This is great in my opinion, as it provides a greater value for the Release Preview, and now Skip Ahead makes more sense, allowing more brewing time in test, and Fast Ring gets to enjoy more complete features for testing, while not diving too deep, in my opinion. Of course, we will wait and see how things turns out, but so far, so good.

Aside from this announcement.

A new Build is released today: Build 18836

This build is for the Fast Rings and Skip Ahead, and features polishes only as it comes closer to release:

• REMINDER: The new tamper protection setting in the Windows Security app protects your device by helping to prevent bad actors from tampering with the most important security settings. The setting is designed to be on by default, however the default state is not currently in effect for current Insider Preview builds. You may see a new recommendation in the Windows Security app suggesting you turn this setting on.
  • We fixed an issue where turning off Location from the Action Center might take multiple clicks to react.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in being unable to re-arrange pinned folders in Start’s tile grid.
  • We fixed an issue where newly installed apps might not show up in search results.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders not being able to open Cortana when in Tablet Mode.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight where right-clicking the desktop would bring up a light colored context menu in dark theme.
  • We’re updating the name of the “Windows Light” theme to now be “Windows (light)”.
  • We fixed an issue where Cortana’s icon on secondary monitors wouldn’t update colors after switching between light and dark theme.
  • We fixed an issue where when using light theme + small icons + a vertical taskbar orientation, text written on the taskbar would stay white and thus wouldn’t be readable.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in open apps not being shown on the taskbar (but being visible in Alt + Tab).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in build unable to log into WinRE with an admin account in the last couple of flights.
  • We’ve made another fix to address reports of devices getting stuck with “Hibernating…” text on the screen on resume from hibernate.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in greys having an unexpected slight pinkish/purple-ish tinge on some devices in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue in Ease of Access’s Cursor and pointer settings, mouse pointer size and color are now retained on upgrade.
  • We fixed an issue where the Windows Security app may show an unknown status for the Virus & threat protection area, or not refresh properly.
  • The issue impacting Creative X-Fi sound cards has been fixed.

Read more:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18836/

3 hours ago, RobbinM said:

<snip>

-= Merged to the Windows 10 Insider Topic =-

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

hi, 
would like to ask if I'm on the latest build for 19h1(April 2019 update)?

windows updates said that I’m up to date but search and Cortana are still in 1 icon 

image.png.52a97e855ec24c81599874f0fab497bf.png

When I went to update my computer to the 18342.1 (19h1_release) build this came up. I went and updated all my drivers and it still didn't solve the problem. Not sure what to do.

Windows 10 Update 2_22_2019 6_56_01 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

When I went to update my computer to the 18342.1 (19h1_release) build this came up. I went and updated all my drivers and it still didn't solve the problem. Not sure what to do.

You probably have the following chipset model:

- Intel64 Family 6 Model 142

- Intel64 Family 6 Model 158

If you do, then an upgrade block was put in place due to reliability issues. Microsoft is working on a fix.

To check if you have either chipset, open Device Manager. Then, expand the "Processors" group, and double click on any item listed under it. A panel will show. In it, go to the "Details" tab, and in the drop down list that you see, pick "Hardware Ids". The model should be inside.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You probably have the following chipset model:

- Intel64 Family 6 Model 142

- Intel64 Family 6 Model 158

If you do, then an upgrade block was put in place due to reliability issues. Microsoft is working on a fix.

To check if you have either chipset, open Device Manager. Then, expand the "Processors" group, and double click on any item listed under it. A panel will show. In it, go to the "Details" tab, and in the drop down list that you see, pick "Hardware Ids". The model should be inside.

I have a AMD64 family 23 model 1. My cpu is a ryzen 7 1800x.

10 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

I have a AMD64 family 23 model 1. My cpu is a ryzen 7 1800x.

Do you have a Creative Sound Blaster card? or a Realtek SD Card reader?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you have a Creative Sound Blaster card? or a Realtek SD Card reader?

Nope, I have none.

25 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

Nope, I have none.

Do you have BattleEye? Or other Anti-cheat game software that cames with games installed?

What is your anti-virus?

• 3 weeks later...

New build has arrived for Fast Ring (Skip ahead ring should follow), with more bug fixes as the past builds.

However, there is 1 really cool new feature: Android phone mirroring!

ea6a644a7837a7433b712b54a1fd7261-1024x57

Microsoft said that you need Android 7 or newer, and for now, only the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+/S9/S9+  are supported. More phones to come.

To use it you need your PC that support Bluetooth, and phone Bluetooth connected to your PC.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/03/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18356/

Also, I don't know f you guys noticed, but today I noticed that I have Office new icons!

Have your office check for updates and see if you have them. The Start menu icons didn't show them, as the cache needs to be cleared, but you'll see it when you start the program.