Windows 10 - Technical Preview - Availible NOW - Download Link Here

GoodBytes

http://puu.sh/bWXUH.jpg the bane of my existence with win10. It locks in with the gap instead of the taskbar. Its so minor but my ocd is driving me nuts.

It's because the border is not actually thin, it is transparent. There is no fix for this. You have to wait for future builds

Ok, so has anybody noticed that Windows 10 Technical Preview is lacking a Floppy Disk Controller driver? This is a little problematic, at least for visualization. Or if its the only way to recover from a bad BIOS update...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I refuse to show a friend this who keeps ranting Windows 10 is just "8.2". 

ac0c125b9a20ec3d9853eca2af68e20c.png

I refuse to show a friend this who keeps ranting Windows 10 is just "8.2". 

Version numbers are meaningless these days anyways. I anticipated they'd pull something like this to make the improvement seem bigger than it is.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I tried the preview in VirtualBox.  Tried it for a bit and then deleted it.  The VB resolution was super low.  Everything was squished.  Couldn't find a higher resolution option.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I tried the preview in VirtualBox.  Tried it for a bit and then deleted it.  The VB resolution was super low.  Everything was squished.  Couldn't find a higher resolution option.

Use VMware or Hyper-V. Both their guest additions work on the preview.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Ok, so has anybody noticed that Windows 10 Technical Preview is lacking a Floppy Disk Controller driver? This is a little problematic, at least for visualization. Or if its the only way to recover from a bad BIOS update...

I have never one of those since Windows XP. You might not have the driver for your motherboard which adds the floppy controller.

And, Windows 8/10 compatible computers can recover from BIOS from USB, and OEM system have a way to do it. Usually a special keyboard combination is what you need to do, and a second BIOS chip will start the recovery process.

Version numbers are meaningless these days anyways. I anticipated they'd pull something like this to make the improvement seem bigger than it is.

Really? What gave it away? the fact that it's how pretty much every other version is handled? Nah...

Really? What gave it away? the fact that it's how pretty much every other version is handled? Nah...

What? You act as if this is normal behavior.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Use VMware or Hyper-V. Both their guest additions work on the preview.

VirtualBox is free.  Are those free?

VirtualBox is free.  Are those free?

VMware Player is free while VMware workstation has a 30 day trial.

I have never one of those since Windows XP. You might not have the driver for your motherboard which adds the floppy controller.And, Windows 8/10 compatible computers can recover from BIOS from USB, and OEM system have a way to do it. Usually a special keyboard combination is what you need to do, and a second BIOS chip will start the recovery process.

I know. It's just that VMware workstation's bios by default leaves the FDD controller enabled. It drives me crazy seeing yellow triangles in device manager.

Also, I can confirm that the FDD controller driver from Windows 8.1 works on the technical preview.

Hyper-V is part of Windows 8 Pro and Server edition since Windows Server 2008

For some reason, Windows would not install Hyper-V when I selected it in the features section.  I have virtualization enabled in the UEFI.  It said something along the lines of 'we couldn't add the features, undoing changes'.  It said this at about 92% complete.  This issue is strange to me because I have never had issues installing Windows Updates.  What could be the issue here?

Has anyone else had major performance improvements in games?

I can run BF4 @ 1440p @ 80 FPS with a mix of medium to high with a 770 and an i3 3220

A bit in BF3 when coming from Windows 7. AMD 7850k and a R9 290. 

For some reason, Windows would not install Hyper-V when I selected it in the features section.  I have virtualization enabled in the UEFI.  It said something along the lines of 'we couldn't add the features, undoing changes'.  It said this at about 92% complete.  This issue is strange to me because I have never had issues installing Windows Updates.  What could be the issue here?

Here are the possible reason on why it fails:

-> There is a bug in WIn8 Hyper-V where for some region the system is set to and local time/format is set to, it will fail. I am not sure if this was fixed in Windows 8.1, thaugh. Set your country to US or Canada, and set the date time to either format, and restart the system, and try again.

-> Update BIOS/UEFI. Some had issues where it didn't support Hyper-V. I forgot the reason exactly, but it has to do with shortcuts motherboard manufactures did on their BIOS/UEFI, where it worked fine for VMs (as the VM manufactures did some extra work to make their solution work), but Hyper-V was the one where it failed. As Hyper-V was deigned to run on servers, where things are usually done really properly, especially that you pay a premium price for the hardware. So, as Microsoft just ported Hyper-V from Server to Windows 8, it failed for some people. So updating the BIOS/UEFI, can possibly fix it

-> Your CPU is not compatible with it, despite the option in the UEFI/BIOS

-> Your Windows is broken. On my side, the first time I used it, it failed similarly to you. A fresh re-install, and boom it worked.

You can try this, which I haven't as it was not there at the time: https://www.interworks.com/blogs/ijahanshahi/2013/12/06/fixing-windows-2012r2-hyper-v-role-failing-99-percent

A bit in BF3 when coming from Windows 7. AMD 7850k and a R9 290.

can't resist asking. How does the R9 290 perform with that CPU?

can't resist asking. How does the R9 290 perform with that CPU?

just fine, I play all games on max settings with frames almost always above 75.

Is it really free for windows 8 users

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Is it really free for windows 8 users

Windows 10 will be free for windows 8, and 30 dollars for 7 and XP users.

This is just a technical preview, don't pay for it. if you did pay, you got screwed

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Windows 10 will be free for windows 8, and 30 dollars for 7 and XP users.

This is just a technical preview, don't pay for it. if you did pay, you got screwed

Wow, for once I'm glad I have windows 8

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Sooo...They finally understood that THIS works well for multitasking I see...:P

post-78536-0-28527100-1412344111.png

Since I only use Windows as a secondary OS, I won't be getting this, but I like where it is going so far. Let's hope for the next 7 guys!

I am currently testing OS X Yosemite as you can see, which will be released to the public likely later in October...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz