Windows 10 - Technical Preview - Availible NOW - Download Link Here

GoodBytes

That's my whole point though, you obviously prefer Metro to Start Menu, and I prefer Start Menu to Metro and Microsoft has taken note for once, they have offered both. I personally think Metro isn't too bad and not as bad as most made out, however I don't find it that great for Desktops and find the Start menu to be much faster for me personally. This is from my own use, not someone else's influence. 

Eh ok, whatever you say bud.

I don't really like either system, just because I find one to be more efficient and better looking does not mean I prefer it.

I very much dislike the Charms bar, I dislike the size of the tiles, I dislike the distance I have to travel to access the tile I want, I dislike the order of items displayed.  I dislike the automated colour correction on the tiles (orange background for an orange icon.... ok....), I dislike the splah of icons vomited on the screen when I click on Start, and even worse when going further in to all Apps.

It's still, however, still faster than Start in W10.

but that makes sense, they only go by odds. Its not like they went i3 i5 i6 i7 i9

R5, R7, R9? You notice a pattern?

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Found my first bug, I was watching videos in youtube when I reached up and caught my headphone's cable by accident, unpluging them. I plug them back and the sound kept playing through the speakers of the laptop, I unplug and plug the headphones a few times and the sound didn't changed, I had to stop the video, then play it again for the sound to come out on the headphones.

That is your sound card driver. I believe you have a Realtek sound card. It does the same thing on my Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1.

It doesn't happen with my ASUS Xonar Essence STX

is it just ne or is this more like windows 8.2 than windows 10?

The list will be a lot longer. Windows 7 technical preview looked like Vista. Not even the new task bar was there.

R5, R7, R9? You notice a pattern?

wheres R5? O.o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

oh xD never even heard of the R5 series, guess thats why

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The list will be a lot longer. Windows 7 technical preview looked like Vista. Not even the new task bar was there.

i hope so but if i remeber windows 8 was close to how it ended up

edit: is anyone going full hardcore and using this as a daily driver yet?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

You know you can make the tiles really small or just remove them entirely. And you can resize the Start menu from the top by dragging it up or down the same way you would resize a regular windowed application.

Posted Image

I know. There's still too much space between lines, so it's not very dense.

Yeah it just says that in cleaner

:P

Ah, okay. It's just that CCleaner needs to be updated. Lol

I know. There's still too much space between lines, so it's not very dense.

It feels very cramped. I'm going to put in feedback for an option to use the layout from 7 and Vista.

It's 8.1 with some of the features of windows 10 atm. You can't expect much on it since it's new. Give your feedback to Microsoft about it and hopefully they'll listen. I want to download this but my account cannot be used because "I'm underage".  :mellow:

Just go in to setting and change you age, thats wath i did!

More bugs, found (all added to feedback):

-> File History can't see eSATA drives. Only USB.

-> Close/Maximize/Minimize buttons are 1 pixel too low.

-> Cannot keyboard navigate the Start menu.

-> Windows size doesn't restore itself when you unsnap it.

-> When snapping a program left or right, closing it, and opening it again, it's size is smaller than before.

-> When uninstall Modern UI app, the program item remains on the Start Menu list.

so looks like i'll be clearing up some over-night downloads to make room for this one.

i'm going to install this ASAP

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

May be a long shot here, has anybody tried and been successful at installing Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Installed Windows 10 at work to see how well it integrates into our network, but can't get the tools I need for admin work :<

I have noticed that Windows 10 fixes a but introduce in Windows 8.1 Update 1. If you click on a open program task bar item, it minimize and restores properly, in Windows 8.1 Update 1, it would just restore, and be stuck there, despite clicking repeatedly, it won't minimize again.

May be a long shot here, has anybody tried and been successful at installing Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Installed Windows 10 at work to see how well it integrates into our network, but can't get the tools I need for admin work :<

It installs fine on my side, but I don't know how to check to see if it works. I never used this before.

This is the download I used: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44280

"The Best Windows Yet" don't they say that about every windows?

wel same can be said for everyone have you ever heard apple say "well the iphone 5 is better why what the heck people wanted the iphone 6" or Nvidia saying " the 780TI is the best we ever done but if you want the new gen they you have to settle for the 980

Needs Update

I have noticed that Windows 10 fixes a but introduce in Windows 8.1 Update 1. If you click on a open program task bar item, it minimize and restores properly, in Windows 8.1 Update 1, it would just restore, and be stuck there, despite clicking repeatedly, it won't minimize again.

It installs fine on my side, but I don't know how to check to see if it works. I never used this before.

This is the download I used: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44280

It for working with servers. As well as having to having server hosting something like Active Directory or DHCP, I think your machine also has to be a part of a domain.

I've got a little further at least, I've found out that it's only available for US (and I would presume Canada). Changed all of my region settings, but it's still not working, got to work out what's left that I need to change.

I highly doubt that windows 10 is going to be very much different from windows 8. Microsoft just seems to be pulling and apple and releasing things and new products way too fast with no real improvements to generate revenue. Although windows 8 came about a little more than 2 years ago, that is still a short time for an OS to be used and alive. Many rigs, such as my own, will still be running with windows 8 for quite a long time as long as I don't have another HDD failure (Please no!). So personally, I am kind of upset with Microsoft for being Apple when they really don't need to be doing anything anytime soon. But that is just my opinion. I'm sure that windows 10 is going to be more productive for some people than windows 8 is.

I highly doubt that windows 10 is going to be very much different from windows 8. Microsoft just seems to be pulling and apple and releasing things and new products way too fast with no real improvements to generate revenue. Although windows 8 came about a little more than 2 years ago, that is still a short time for an OS to be used and alive. Many rigs, such as my own, will still be running with windows 8 for quite a long time as long as I don't have another HDD failure (Please no!). So personally, I am kind of upset with Microsoft for being Apple when they really don't need to be doing anything anytime soon. But that is just my opinion. I'm sure that windows 10 is going to be more productive for some people than windows 8 is.

Windows 10 is coming up in sometimes 2015. Mid to end.

What is released now, is not the final Windows 10. Windows 10 will have a long list of features.

All this talk about streaming games... did anyone tried Remote desktop?

It freaking works! :D

Not great, to be honest, but it works. I tried Hit Man 5 (no audio for some reason), and Civ 5 (no issue beside a few blurred textures that get sharp in a sec later).

I know Steam streaming, I am just amazed that remote desktop works. Because before under Win7 and older, you had limited colors and performance was bad to a point that if you played a video over remote desktop, you would be pretty much screwed, as you would have a seriously hard time closing it.. But here it worked, full colors and all.

And if you have a very strong connection, you can potentially play a game outside your house. Maybe latency would be an issue, but hey, still fun regardless.

Anyway, fun little experimentation. If you are interested, set Remote desktop to max quality and connect to the system that will host the game (Win8 or Win10)

All this talk about streaming games... did anyone tried Remote desktop?

It freaking works! :D

Not great, to be honest, but it works. I tried Hit Man 5 (no audio for some reason), and Civ 5 (no issue beside a few blurred textures that get sharp in a sec later).

I know Steam streaming, I am just amazed that remote desktop works. Because before under Win7 and older, you had limited colors and performance was bad to a point that if you played a video over remote desktop, you would be pretty much screwed, as you would have a seriously hard time closing it.. But here it worked, full colors and all.

And if you have a very strong connection, you can potentially play a game outside your house. Maybe latency would be an issue, but hey, still fun regardless.

Anyway, fun little experimentation. If you are interested, set Remote desktop to max quality and connect to the system that will host the game (Win8 or Win10)

When I first installed Windows 8 and was in college, I used Remote Desktop Connection to log in to my home PC and play Angry Birds (the Modern UI version from the App Store) from my classroom computer, which ran Windows 7. It was playable, but still laggy (keep in mind I was running Remote Desktop at 1920x1080 and high quality visual settings). At home I had a 50 Megabits down 30 Megabits up connection and our school had 40 MegaBYTES both directions. :)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I'm considering making a partition on my laptop's hard drive for the preview, but I only have one USB stick large enough to use. There needs to be a way of doing something like using a VM in install on a partition lol

I'm considering making a partition on my laptop's hard drive for the preview, but I only have one USB stick large enough to use. There needs to be a way of doing something like using a VM in install on a partition lol

You mean boot from VHD? Windows 8 supports that.

You mean boot from VHD? Windows 8 supports that.

Oh god, I totally forgot that existed. *facepalm*