Windows 10 - Technical Preview - Availible NOW - Download Link Here

GoodBytes

it seems like the individual windows have an invisible border around the boarder of something because i cant seem to get a window to line up with the task bar. When I try to get it to work it locks in like it is supposed to but it leaves a gap about the same size as windows 7's borders.

You guys have probably used the Windows 10 Preview more than me. Do you think it's stable enough to use as a daily driver? Because I love it a lot in the little time I've used it, and it's slow on the hard drive it's currently installed on. Would like to install it onto my SSD, but I don't have enough room for two operating systems...

COMIC SANS

Free for W8 users.

$30 for W7 users.

Does that mean that it is an upgrade only? Will they release a full copy? You know, for fresh install?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

wtf happened to 9?

I think I heard or read somewhere that Windows 8.1 is supposed to be Windows 9. So they f*cked that up. So now they cant call the next OS windows 9... 

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

At first I thought the live tiles would be nice in the start menu, but it seems to be a pain in the ass to rearrange them properly.

Video related.

Hopefully they fix this in the final release. If I drag and drop something at a certain spot, I want it to stay there, not rearrange itself.

If you do not like it, tell them!  That's what the feedback button is for!  :)

My PC specifications are in my profile.

My Hyper V virtual network switch messes up my internet, I can't connect to the internet with my WiFi adapter bridged...... This happens on my SP3 as well as my main rig. Virtual PC on Windows 7 worked so much better out of the box.... 

I really want to try this Preview since it looks so much better then this goddamned Win8.1 (I hate it so much)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

So much for windows 10 being called windows 10

acd224cbd7474a9a283dcef407308145.png

that's because they haven't incremented the version number in the technical preview. CC Cleaner still reads the kernel version as 6.3, which was the same kernel used in 8.1

You guys have probably used the Windows 10 Preview more than me. Do you think it's stable enough to use as a daily driver? Because I love it a lot in the little time I've used it, and it's slow on the hard drive it's currently installed on. Would like to install it onto my SSD, but I don't have enough room for two operating systems...

If you have the most important stuff backed up then yes since the changes seem to just be in the UI shell. The core is the same as windows 8.1. I have it on my gaming pc and my laptop. Only my mac mini doesn't have it as that is just for school work and important files.

Also it was strange putting it on a laptop that previously had Vista and I didn't have to install any drivers for the laptop.

virtualbox is a no go, at least for me, it doesn't even boot on my rig so i think VB hates me for some reason, downloading virtual pc to see if that works

I managed to get it to work in Virtual Box.

I had to use the Wizard and selected a Windows 8.1 VM that I was preparing, then when booting it I pointed it to the ISO and completed the install without an issue.  After that I bumped the memory up to 4096MB and upped the gfx memory to 256MB.

Still stuck using 1600x1200 though which is strange.  My Ubuntu VM adapts to whatever screen setting I am on when it boots.

But basically, the Start menu is ugly and slower to navigate than Metro due to lots of mouse wheel scrolling.  I am running a clean build and I have to scroll through a whole bumch of default and suggested (read: useless) apps before I get to the folders at the bottom of the list.  The Start Menu is not a great feature.

I thought that it would have been quicker than the drag distance of the mouse to get to tiles in Win 8, but this Start meny feels positively ancient in design.  Clunky old garbage. I hope you're happy people :\  OH BUT IT HAS TILES yes tiles for all the useless things you didn't use like built in Mail or Skype or Music app.

The cool thing is at least those apps are now able to be windowed and the format of the application layout adapts brilliantly with re-sizing the windows.

Desktop switching is a neat idea, I will likely have a couple set up, particularly on my laptop for gaming/working.

Other than that, it is Windows 8.1 and still has all the great features and looks that 8.1 does.

is it just ne or is this more like windows 8.2 than windows 10?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"The Best Windows Yet" don't they say that about every windows?

Maybe because what they're saying is technically correct. It is the best windows "yet".

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

is it just ne or is this more like windows 8.2 than windows 10?

It's 8.1 with some of the features of windows 10 atm. You can't expect much on it since it's new. Give your feedback to Microsoft about it and hopefully they'll listen. I want to download this but my account cannot be used because "I'm underage".  :mellow:

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

It's 8.1 with some of the features of windows 10 atm. You can't expect much on it since it's new. Give your feedback to Microsoft about it and hopefully they'll listen. I want to download this but my account cannot be used because "I'm underage".  :mellow:

its windows 10 preview...they may add features and change elements but its going to be similar to this when it gets released

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I managed to get it to work in Virtual Box.

I had to use the Wizard and selected a Windows 8.1 VM that I was preparing, then when booting it I pointed it to the ISO and completed the install without an issue.  After that I bumped the memory up to 4096MB and upped the gfx memory to 256MB.

Still stuck using 1600x1200 though which is strange.  My Ubuntu VM adapts to whatever screen setting I am on when it boots.

But basically, the Start menu is ugly and slower to navigate than Metro due to lots of mouse wheel scrolling.  I am running a clean build and I have to scroll through a whole bumch of default and suggested (read: useless) apps before I get to the folders at the bottom of the list.  The Start Menu is not a great feature.

I thought that it would have been quicker than the drag distance of the mouse to get to tiles in Win 8, but this Start meny feels positively ancient in design.  Clunky old garbage. I hope you're happy people :\  OH BUT IT HAS TILES yes tiles for all the useless things you didn't use like built in Mail or Skype or Music app.

The cool thing is at least those apps are now able to be windowed and the format of the application layout adapts brilliantly with re-sizing the windows.

Desktop switching is a neat idea, I will likely have a couple set up, particularly on my laptop for gaming/working.

Other than that, it is Windows 8.1 and still has all the great features and looks that 8.1 does.

Your the only person I've seen complain about having a start menu. Everyone else was the opposite. Anyways, no need to complain about it because you can still use Metro if that's what you prefer. I think their philosophy for this iteration is that "No user gets left behind" I.E everyone can have a choice of what they want to use. You can see it so far with new CMD features, bringing back the start menu etc. So far being a key phrase, let's see if they keep it up! 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

That's actually hilarious. Did you upgrade from 8.1?

Nope windows 7

Steve

Your the only person I've seen complain about having a start menu. Everyone else was the opposite. Anyways, no need to complain about it because you can still use Metro if that's what you prefer. I think their philosophy for this iteration is that "No user gets left behind" I.E everyone can have a choice of what they want to use. You can see it so far with new CMD features, bringing back the start menu etc. So far being a key phrase, let's see if they keep it up! 

You just need to look harder :)

The loudest people are those crying about a lack of Start Menu without realising that the solutions provided in 8 are more elegant and bizarrely enough quicker and easier to navigate.

I don't sing Metro's praise, it's just not as bad as people claim it to be, and the Start menu is nowhere near as useful or as elegant or quick as people will have you believe.

He has a point IMO. The charm search, for example, is way faster than the start menu search. The start menu is also unnecessarily huge, yet at the same time doesn't have a lot on it. Basically, hope that a "Start10" is made, because this start menu sucks.

I have installed it in VMware. 

if you click right button on the desktop menu opens on the left side of the mouse. that sucks!

start menu sucks!

Many desktops like in ubuntu or mac OS is done very purely. this feature sucks too!

it's name sucks. :D

It must be Windows OS X!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I have installed it in VMware. 

if you click right button on the desktop menu opens on the left side of the mouse. that sucks!

start menu sucks!

Many desktops like in ubuntu or mac OS is done very purely. this feature sucks too!

it's name suck.

It must be Windows OS X!

*looks at signature* Yup.

You just need to look harder :)

The loudest people are those crying about a lack of Start Menu without realising that the solutions provided in 8 are more elegant and bizarrely enough quicker and easier to navigate.

I don't sing Metro's praise, it's just not as bad as people claim it to be, and the Start menu is nowhere near as useful or as elegant or quick as people will have you believe.

That's my whole point though, you obviously prefer Metro to Start Menu, and I prefer Start Menu to Metro and Microsoft has taken note for once, they have offered both. I personally think Metro isn't too bad and not as bad as most made out, however I don't find it that great for Desktops and find the Start menu to be much faster for me personally. This is from my own use, not someone else's influence. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Weird shit. Does it function like Windows 10?

Yeah it just says that in cleaner

:P

Steve

He has a point IMO. The charm search, for example, is way faster than the start menu search. The start menu is also unnecessarily huge, yet at the same time doesn't have a lot on it. Basically, hope that a "Start10" is made, because this start menu sucks.

The start menu is bigger, granted, but not as big as Metro. This start menu isn't as good as Windows 7's start menu, and I personally submitted my own feedback to suggest that MS should offer the ability to switch between any previous iterations of the start menu, everyone wins then, however I do find even this version of the start menu better than Metro for me personally. However, you can switch back to Metro with a few clicks so everyone should be happy!

You know you can make the tiles really small or just remove them entirely. And you can resize the Start menu from the top by dragging it up or down the same way you would resize a regular windowed application.

win10-start-menu-small-980x734.png

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit