R9 285X Has 384 bit bus & 2048 GCN Cores

GPUXPert

I have too assume they don't consult with each other on pricing. 1 because they don't seem to like each other. 2 because that would collusion for price fixing which at least here in the US is illegal.

You're forgetting about the double agents they all have.  :ph34r:

Calling me the bratty one, when you think everyone needs to share your opinion and you snapped at for no reason. Hilarious. 

Also, I will admit to a typo in that post. I meant 290, not 290X.

Yes, you are bratty. You complain about everything when someone doesn't agree with you. I simply don't mind other opinions. I haven't snapped at you either, I just said that there's no point in responding to you. And you're proving I'm right.

Yes, you are bratty. You complain about everything when someone doesn't agree with you. I simply don't mind other opinions. I haven't snapped at you either, I just said that there's no point in responding to you. And you're proving I'm right.

Uh, no? I'm not the one who spent a whole thread calling other people's tastes wrong. I just like to debate/argue, but I admit when I'm wrong so long as the person I'm arguing with hasn't done something to make me think they don't deserve my respect. Builder did that, Misanthrope did that, and you're teetering.

Uh, no? I'm not the one who spent a whole thread calling other people's tastes wrong.

*facepalm* Yet you wouldn't even hear a reason even if I gave it.

I have too assume they don't consult with each other on pricing. 1 because they don't seem to like each other. 2 because that would collusion for price fixing which at least here in the US is illegal.

Well they did get sued for it in the past, so I guess it is good to see they have no clue about what the other is coming out with now. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ati-graphics,6311.html

I still don't get the 285 though (non x). AMD had to have known that all these games were going to be 3gb VRAM. Why did they bother with the thing. Just leave the 280 as is, and make this X. AMD was ahead of it's time putting 3GB VRAM on their cards then they do a 180 with games requiring it and make a 2gb version? 

I think the X is cool as long as the price point is good, but it might have to be sold for less than they were hoping for. Close to 300 is not happening with the GTX 970 being 330.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

*facepalm* Yet you wouldn't even hear a reason even if I gave it.

You literally called other people's tastes wrong. I fully understand why you were frustrated, but really, the world isn't going to bend for you. Also, look at my edit.

You literally called other people's tastes wrong. I fully understand why you were frustrated, but really, the world isn't going to bend for you. Also, look at my edit.

I said the taste was stupid because there's no real reason for having a massive phone. Not that their taste is wrong.

Well this still has a slot to fill its now going to come in a little bit faster than a 770, so im guessing they both will get a price drop to be around 250+, the 285 non x is slotting in above the 760 at around 200-250.  Hell if the price drops i might get a second 760

So it turns out the 770 is EOL now, and the 760 got dropped to $219

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I said the taste was stupid because there's no real reason for having a massive phone. Not that their taste is wrong.

I don't see any practical difference here.

At any rate, you responded to my completely civil post with hostility. I don't see a good reason for that, especially since I was right. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you know I was right, but responded that way because you didn't want to admit to being wrong. Either way, I'm sorry, and I'll just leave you alone I guess. Seeing your age in your profile and seeing how you were acting just made me view you as a kid, I suppose.

So it turns out the 770 is EOL now, and the 760 got dropped to $219

Makes sense. I don't see a lot of people buying the 770 with 2 GB of VRAM, and 4GB VRAM would prob be a crap profit margin for Nvidia.  If the 760 is 219 maybe 250ish for the 280x would be the sweet spot. It could be enticing there as a close to max/max 1080p card. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I hope this is still cheap when it gets to Australia, people keep asking for advice on good performing but cheaper cards. At the moment AMD really doesn't have cheap GCN 1.1 or higher unless it's too cheap. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well they did get sued for it in the past, so I guess it is good to see they have no clue about what the other is coming out with now. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ati-graphics,6311.html

I still don't get the 285 though (non x). AMD had to have known that all these games were going to be 3gb VRAM. Why did they bother with the thing. Just leave the 280 as is, and make this X. AMD was ahead of it's time putting 3GB VRAM on their cards then they do a 180 with games requiring it and make a 2gb version? 

I think the X is cool as long as the price point is good, but it might have to be sold for less than they were hoping for. Close to 300 is not happening with the GTX 970 being 330.

VRAM is costly despite common conceptions. It's a completely different system from SDRAM and it has to run at much higher speeds. I wouldn't be shocked if, per gigabyte, it cost 4x more than 2400MHz DDR3. This is very early into he tonga release, so I imagine they tried to cut costs and increase their revenues for a more important battle.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

so basically R9 285 has the same GPU die of R9 285X with some of clock and features is locked. i wonder are they really lock the cores due price or due to defective cores? :huh:

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

what is this GPU virtualization about? didnt know u could use GPU's for VM's??

I need more info on that too, but if it means what I hope it does it has to do with using your graphs card properly in a Virtual Machine. If so that is easily the most amazing news on this front this year, at least to me. So far only CPUs (AMD and Intel) have this feature where you can pretty much use your CPU power with little to no perf. loss in a VM which is what makes using VM's worthwhile but so far you could only use an emulated GPU with 256mb VRAM in a Virtual environment. That's why you can't play games (except for DOS-games) in a VM. However GPU virtualisation could mean you can run at full GPU speed.... ooooh I'm drooling hard.

I'm investigating this now, will be back.

EDIT: so apperently it is what I thought but it's still only conceptual?! Anyway this is still very very good news.

Dat source BTW... B)

so basically R9 285 has the same GPU die of R9 285X with some of clock and features is locked. i wonder are they really lock the cores due price or due to defective cores? :huh:

Um... Are you knew to graphics cards? There have always been versions of cards with locked cores...

I need more info on that too, but if it means what I hope it does it has to do with using your graphs card properly in a Virtual Machine. If so that is easily the most amazing news on this front this year, at least to me. So far only CPUs (AMD and Intel) have this feature where you can pretty much use your CPU power with little to no perf. loss in a VM which is what makes using VM's worthwhile but so far you could only use an emulated GPU with 256mb VRAM in a Virtual environment. That's why you can't play games (except for DOS-games) in a VM. However GPU virtualisation could mean you can run at full GPU speed.... ooooh I'm drooling hard.

I'm investigating this now, will be back.

EDIT: so apperently it is what I thought but it's still only conceptual?! Anyway this is still very very good news.

Dat source BTW... B)

hmm it seems like its a concept for VMware but supposedly Xenserver from citrix already supports it.

But I agree, I would love to have a server in the back room of the house, and then everyone in the home have thin clients and still be able to play games and stuff over a VM network :D

only question is will they make this compatible with "gaming" cards? such as an upcoming R9-390X maybe??

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1