Indian spacecraft reaches Mars for less than it cost to make 'Gravity'

Naveen

India has successfully reached mars with MOM(Mars Orbiter Mission) and it did it in a budget.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6837745/india-spacecraft-reaches-mars-orbit-less-than-gravity

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/23/world/asia/mars-india-orbiter/index.html

While the Orbiter is not as sophisticated or advanced as NASA's orbiters but reaching Mars orbit is no small feat.

1150989_1556039351286088_213828544387758

With just $74 Million Budget India becomes the First country to enter the Mars orbit in first attempt and the first country in Asia.

With a price tag of $74 million, the Mars Orbiter Mission cost a mere fraction of the $671 million NASA spent on its MAVEN spacecraft, which arrived to Mars earlier this week. Some space observers noted that India's Mars orbiter cost less than the $100 million budget for the space thriller film "Gravity

The odds, were stacked against us. Of the 51 missions, attempted across the world so far, a mere 21 had succeeded. But we have prevailed - Indian Prime Minister

@MarsCuriosity congradulated @MarsOrbiter and @MarsOrbiter said "keep in touch. I'll be around".

last.jpg

Proud Moment for Indians

yay for india

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is actually really good, and has some amazing implications for the future. maybe US can learn and support NASA more, now that they see stuff can be made on the cheap. And NASA can stop overbudgeting

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Nice one India. Space on a budget, who would have thought.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

This is actually really good, and has some amazing implications for the future. maybe US can learn and support NASA more, now that they see stuff can be made on the cheap. And NASA can stop overbudgeting

US cut the budget because NASA couldn't stop spending all the money in the universe for seemingly no reason.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

US cut the budget because NASA couldn't stop spending all the money in the universe for seemingly no reason.

Hence the "NASA can stop overbudgeting". but the people could stop hating on space program as well

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Made with 20% plastic and 80% child labour.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is fantastic news! However, we must also consider that India has the benefit of having 51 missions flown there first (Even if only 21 of them were successful). That means that many of the potential pitfalls were avoided because - presumably - the Indians were really smart and learned from NASA's (and others) mistakes.

Also when comparing this to MAVEN, and the huge price difference, we must also consider the difference in mission, design, and capabilities. MAVEN could be a much more advanced spacecraft with more capabilities (could be - I for one would love to see a comparison of the different MARS spacecraft).

Never the less, this is great news for space exploration. NASA is currently aiming for the 2030's to 2040's for a manned MARS mission. We shall see if they can keep up with that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hence the "NASA can stop overbudgeting". but the people could stop hating on space program as well

Not really. To me space program is still a giant waste of money whether it wasted 700 million or 70 million or even 7 cents.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Not really. To me space program is still a giant waste of money whether it wasted 700 million or 70 million or even 7 cents.

in that case, your opinion doesnt fit wiht mine. to me, it would be better if the millions were used on space program, than on stupid films, that do not contribute to teh advancment of our race in any way

I think you misunderstood China for India

I think you misunderstood the fact that India has some of the worst child labour and abuse in the world.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

in that case, your opinion doesnt fit wiht mine. to me, it would be better if the millions were used on space program, than on stupid films, that do not contribute to teh advancment of our race in any way

Not that I support Hollywood but I wouldn't say they are a non-factor in the advancement of the society. For one thing they contribute to/make up culture. The culture which influences all kinds of people from artists to scientists.

How many of our current technology was first portrayed in movies? All those smart watches in the movies are now a real thing. Would they have existed without Dick Tracy, James Bond and many others?

I think you misunderstood the fact that India has some of the worst child labour and abuse in the world.

What you are saying was true 5 years ago but now you can hardly see any child labour at least in major corporations and cities.

What you are saying was true 5 years ago but now you can hardly see any child labour at least in major corporations and cities.

Go to Bangladesh M8 you will see for yourself.

Spoiler

Bangladesh is a different country.

Bangladesh is not in India  :unsure:

With some REALLY advanced binoculars?

Bangladesh is not in India  :unsure:

Bangladesh is a different country.

Whatever. It's basically the same thing, right beside eachother.

Either way both of you obviously didn't get that my first post was a joke. Some people really need to get a sense of humour here. This forum was a much happier place when there were more people like Askew with a good sense of humour.

Spoiler

This is the video of first Indian Made Cryogenic Engine used in GSLV rocket.

Yes India failed in it's first attempt.

Only France succeeded in developing Cryogenic Engine on its first attempt.

But India successfully launched at GSLV rocket with cryogenic engine on January 2014

I don't understand how it is related to this topic :mellow:  :(  

Whatever. It's basically the same thing, right beside eachother.

Either way both of you obviously didn't get that my first post was a joke. Some people really need to get a sense of humour here. This forum was a much happier place when there were more people like Askew with a good sense of humour.

the problem with such jokes is that on the internet Nobody can tell if you're actually a retard or if you're joking. Because there are plenty of ignorant people around.