EVGA could lose out on quite a bit of money due to trying to cut costs in putting together GTX 970/980 cards

DeViLzzz

When Asus screws up the R9 290 and 290X nobody bats an eye, but when EVGA has the cooler on a slight offset position, everyone loses their minds.

If people make enough noise, EVGA is more likely to do something about the cooler screw-up, like give a free game, or offer discounts or something.

With the DCU2 290, Asus responded in their typical fashion with "our products are high quality, the cooler works fine. It's your cases air flow. The card is already overclocked etc.."  not much point complaining if the company denies any problem.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Looks to me that the cooler is simply off center by a few millimeters. All they really need to do is realign them?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Looks to me that the cooler is simply off center by a few millimeters. All they really need to do is realign them?

no they dont, its not like the card is throttling or anything. the cooler works fine, people are just inventing problems where there are none... -.-

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Because theres anything that they can do to win.....

The heatpipes aren't in direct contact--people complain. 

The heatpipes are in direct conatact--people complain. 

thats what people on the internet do... even if you do everything right, they will find something

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

no they dont, its not like the card is throttling or anything. the cooler works fine, people are just inventing problems where there are none... -.-

I was saying that it's not too big, it's just off center and needs to be realigned if anything.

I was saying that it's not too big, it's just off center and needs to be realigned if anything.

yeah and im saying it doesnt. the cards arent even loud on full throttle, thats how good this cools already. they are using the same cooler for both cards, so its well overdone for the 970 anyway... 

and they will probably use it for the 20(or 16)nm Maxwell/Pascal/Whatever too, if the cards will fit it

yeah and im saying it doesnt. the cards arent even loud on full throttle, thats how good this cools already. they are using the same cooler for both cards, so its well overdone for the 970 anyway... 

and they will probably use it for the 20(or 16)nm Maxwell/Pascal/Whatever too, if the cards will fit it

Wouldn't you say though, that from the looks of the thermal paste, the cooler is just off center? Not talking about whether or not it works like it is, just addressing the people saying that the cooler is too big.

Yupp still will buy EVGA since I never had any problems with them and it always lasted

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wouldn't you say though, that from the looks of the thermal paste, the cooler is just off center? Not talking about whether or not it works like it is, just addressing the people saying that the cooler is too big.

yes i would. but that is probably due to the reference 970 design having the core ofset, compared to the 980 design or something

yes i would. but that is probably due to the reference 970 design having the core ofset, compared to the 980 design or something

I'll say this, they need to come up with something new, as do gigabyte and asus and MSI. their coolers are all starting to bore me. I want LED's and something that looks badass. The windforce in particular to me just looks retarded.

I'd like to see a cooler with 1 or possibly 2 standard sized 120mm fans so that I can slap some noctua's in there. aww yeah

I'll say this, they need to come up with something new, as do gigabyte and asus and MSI. their coolers are all starting to bore me. I want LED's and something that looks badass. The windforce in particular to me just looks retarded.

I'd like to see a cooler with 1 or possibly 2 standard sized 120mm fans so that I can slap some noctua's in there. aww yeah

rajiintek for you then ;) anyway, i just want them to go more subtle... all these coolers are starting to cater to 12 y/o. the only thing they lack for that are leds... Currently, for me its either Gainwards Phantom line, or EVGA ACX, or reference blower. everything else is so flashy

The fact that is not a hot chip should be used for overclocking headroom, not being lazy with the cooler design. Yes it might work but I expect better than "meh, it works" from EVGA

-------

Current Rig

-------

The fact that is not a hot chip should be used for overclocking headroom, not being lazy with the cooler design. Yes it might work but I expect better than "meh, it works" from EVGA

these cards already overclock like beasts... seen linuses? and thats on a blower cooler

rajiintek for you then ;) anyway, i just want them to go more subtle... all these coolers are starting to cater to 12 y/o. the only thing they lack for that are leds... Currently, for me its either Gainwards Phantom line, or EVGA ACX, or reference blower. everything else is so flashy

I'd honestly like the cards to have the same Geforce logo that reference blower cards have -- just with an interchangeable LED color plate (or RGB LEDs). Nothing too much, just a little something. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I wouldn't mind a more sleek futuristic design with some subtle led lighting and 120mm replaceable fans. I would imagine it would look like something apple would make.

I wouldn't mind a more sleek futuristic design with some subtle led lighting and 120mm replaceable fans. I would imagine it would look like something apple would make.

Not gonna lie, I'd like to slap my NF-F12s onto my GPU and see just how silent and cool that baby would be. 

Not gonna lie, I'd like to slap my NF-F12s onto my GPU and see just how silent and cool that baby would be. 

Try it, pull out the fans and tape a pair of NF-F12s on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

How badly have they screwed this up exactly? As I said before I am planning to liquid cool them in the future, how screwed am I if I buy the ACX 1.0 version. Does the ACX 2.0 have the same problems?

How badly have they screwed this up exactly? As I said before I am planning to liquid cool them in the future, how screwed am I if I buy the ACX 1.0 version. Does the ACX 2.0 have the same problems?

Its not an issue at all. The temps are in-line with everyone else; and more than likely, had EVGA designed a cooler specifically for the 970, it wouldn't even have had that heatpipe in the first place. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is hilarious. People see something they think is a design flaw and suddenly everyone turns into GPU design engineers and thermodynamics experts.  <_<

The only reason there was an issue with the Asus DCUII cooler on the R9 series cards was because those were very hot running chips and actually needed better contact with the cooler to properly dissipate the heat. These Maxwell chips (970/980) are much cooler running chips and if you'd take the time to actually look at the temps, you'd see the ACX cooler works just fine with plenty of overclocking headroom. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's not screwed up, nor is it a problem. It works just fine.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

IKR? not to mention it would just look ballin

Its not an issue at all. The temps are in-line with everyone else; and more than likely, had EVGA designed a cooler specifically for the 970, it wouldn't even have had that heatpipe in the first place. 

It's not screwed up, nor is it a problem. It works just fine.

thanks!