295x2 vs gtx 780 sli

farhanorakzai

i will be selling my laptop soon to buy a new gpu. i was wondering if i should get a second gtx 780, since i already have one, or just make the 500 extra investment and get the 295x2. 

EDIT: resolution is 4k

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Since you already have a gtx 780 get another 780.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You might be able to fetch some good coin for that GTX 780 but then again you would still need to spend more on the 295x2 which will only net you a bit more performance for a significant amount of money.

I would opt for the extra 780 since you already have one. Just oc the two and im sure you will be satisfied. :)

I would opt for the extra 780 since you already have one. Just oc the two and im sure you will be satisfied. :)

I've actually never overclocked a gpu

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I would sell you current 780, if you can get a good price for it, and buy a 295x2. I would do that if you're on 4K. If not, I would keep the single 780 and save the laptop money.

Spoiler

I would sell you current 780, if you can get a good price for it, and buy a 295x2. I would do that if you're on 4K. If not, I would keep the single 780 and save the laptop money.

This is a good option as well. Maybe check to see if the 9xx will be badass? Either way, once it's released, the 780 price will drop anyway so you got nothing to lose if you wait a bit (I believe you are not encountering problems playing any game at 1080p so no need to rush).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

This is a good option as well. Maybe check to see if the 9xx will be badass? Either way, once it's released, the 780 price will drop anyway so you got nothing to lose if you wait a bit (I believe you are not encountering problems playing any game at 1080p so no need to rush).

i forgot to mention, resolution is 4k

I've actually never overclocked a gpu

tumblr_inline_n3xkmpLOCD1rulpuu.jpg

i forgot to mention, resolution is 4k

sell 780, get the 295x2. I might be just a fanboy though. 

However, if I do a bit of maths, you currently have a 500$ 780 and look at two options :

1- Buy another 780 for 500$

2- Sell the 780 for around, say 400$ and buy a 295x2 for 1000$

Option 1 costs 500$

Option 2 costs 600$ and yields "much" better performance

Go with option 2

Spoiler