What happens if you plug a Ethernet cable into one pc and the other end into another?

aidenrelkoff

so what happens?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

"Connected via Lan", and if their sharing folders, you can see them, if not setup to share at all, nothing happens.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

so what happens?

Nothing, you need to have a crossover cable that just a specially pinned cable that takes the output data from the pins and puts it into the input pins of the other computer, it'll let you basically have two communicate without using a network.

Here's a good explanation if you want to know more:

Nothing until you do something in the OS.

lol

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Best explanation, I was just about to post that video.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

These people are all wrong. The link between computers creates a super computer twice as strong as a regular computer. You may now use this to take over the world. 

just kidding please don't hate me

You probably won't need a crossover cable. Modern NICs should auto negotiate.

I'm not too familiar with IPv6 but if enabled I believe it will automatically try to configure itself so that the machines can talk to each other.

Nothing, you need to have a crossover cable that just a specially pinned cable that takes the output data from the pins and puts it into the input pins of the other computer, it'll let you basically have two communicate without using a network.

Here's a good explanation if you want to know more:

Not really, most modern computers have AUTO-MDIX and will detect that two you're connected to another computer, and if neither of the computers have a dhcp server running, Windows will assign themselves a random link local address (in the range of 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.254).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I always just set the IP addresses and default gateways as one another and that seemed to work :D

Computer 1:
Adapter: 192.168.0.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.2

Computer 2:
Adapter: 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I could then share files between the two etc. As many others have said they may just detect one another, been a while since I tried doing the above.

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

Like Blade of Grass said, if you have a fairly modern computer they will auto negotiate IP addresses and configure themselves to be able to exchange data.
If you got things like network discovery on then you can start transferring files in Explorer. If you got some LAN capable multiplayer game you can start playing that. It's just like connecting two computers to a switch.