Christina Hoff Sommers on video game sexism

There isn't a patriarchy in modern life? So the government is run by men, religion is run by men, (whether or not you are religious, churches have a huge impact on a huge amount of society), the business world is run by men, a large portion of home life is run by men (if you don't think societal views about women rating kids and men bringing home food aren't alive and well idk what to say), and the entertainment industries are run by men, and a lot of the fashion industry is run on the highest levels, by, shock of shocks, men(though it's better than some industries), sports are run by men, high levels chefs are men, etc, etc, etc.

But we don't live in a patriarchy? Really?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Christina Hoff Sommers, also known as the "factual feminist" has released a fairly short video (6 and a half minutes) about her views on sexism in the gaming industry.

I encourage everyone to watch the full video and have an open mind. In my eyes, Christina Hoff Sommers is a true feminist, and I have a lot of respect for her.

I think it's nice to see some people being rational about this whole thing and I hope this video will open some peoples' eyes, but I seriously doubt it will.

Edit: For those of you who are interested, she is in lot more videos on that YouTube channel.

"Check your facts, not your privilege"

This is technology, right? I was unsure if this was off-topic or general discussion material.

truthfully, i thought it was gonna be a load of crap....but im glad i watched it til the end and i totally agree with her points 

I really like everything she says in this video...full stop! .....I just want to point out that she isn't a feminist. She is actually rather an anti feminist who's career is pretty much based on saying that sexism doesn't exist anywhere. Her being a fellow at

There are several issues with some feminists, but American Enterprise Institute is not exactly a good sign. But what she said in this video is true.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

There isn't a patriarchy in modern life? So the government is run by men

Nope.

There are no laws prohibiting women from entering government and as of right now, 18% of the people in the house of representatives are women. 18% is not exactly a super high number, but the idea that "government is run by men" is simply false when almost 1 in 5 are women.

In fact, I think you're pretty sexist for ignoring those 79 women and their achievements because getting into the house of representatives is a big achievement for any person, male or female.

religion is run by men, (whether or not you are religious, churches have a huge impact on a huge amount of society)

How exactly is religion run by men? Isn't it suppose to be run by God?

the business world is run by men

That's partially true, but have you even stopped and thought about why? Do you think it's because people don't buy products from companies with female owners? I don't think so. Do you think it's because women are somehow unable to start companies? I don't think so (in fact, here in Sweden you get extra monetary subsidy from the government if you are a woman who want to start your own business, you're also more likely to get your request accepted. You get these two benefits solely for being a woman, which is sexist towards men). Even with this pretty significant advantage, only ~25% of small businesses in Sweden are owned by women.

Andreas Mångs who has a PhD in economics and has written books about female business owners gives two general reasons for this:

1) Women are often more interested in areas which are hostile towards small businesses, so they get crushed by their competitors. Different fields have different barriers to entry. You can blame this on "society manipulating women to like certain things" if you want, but biologically men and women are wired to be skilled at different things. For example men are generally more logical than women (due to more gray matter in the brain), and better at team work because during out evolution that was required for hunting. On the other hand women are superior at language. Men and women are different.

(Christina has a good video where she talks about the lack of female scientists which I highly recommend).

2) When they have a child they have to either neglect their business, or not start it until their children are quite a bit older. You can of course blame this on things like "why don't the dad stay home and take care of the child then!?" but the cold hard truth is that giving birth is very stressful of the woman's body, both before and after. Not only that but women are better at taking care of children than men, so it's best for the child. Some reasons for this is because the mom cares more for the child than the dad, but also because they are faster and better at spotting danger (when a child is about to hit its head the mom is usually slightly faster at jumping to the rescue).

This gives women a significant advantage when it comes to starting their own businesses.

If you look at the world average of female top executives then about 8% are women (in China, which is a pretty misogynistic country the percentage is actually 19%, and in south Korea it's 30%). That's by no means a good number, but it's still pretty significant. Almost 1 in 10 on average.

Yes the business world is run by men, but it's not because women are being discriminated.

As for the rest of your points, sure they are dominated by males. Delivery people, car mechanics, construction workers, firemen and so on. All of them are male dominated. I got plenty of examples of areas where women dominate though.

Pharmaceutical and medicine, advocacy/civic organizations, elementary and middle school teachers, social workers, accounting, veterinarians, psychologists and the list goes on.

Certain things will be dominated by a certain type of person. You can pick some examples if you want and I can pick examples if I want.

I really like everything she says in this video...full stop! .....I just want to point out that she isn't a feminist. She is actually rather an anti feminist who's career is pretty much based on saying that sexism doesn't exist anywhere. Her being a fellow at

There are several issues with some feminists, but American Enterprise Institute is not exactly a good sign. But what she said in this video is true.

But she is a feminist. She has never said that sexism do not exist, she has actually said the exact opposite many times.

What she is against is lies, twisted facts and sexism (sexism goes both ways) because it just gets in the way of actual progress. She wants equality and the best for everyone, not just women.

A feminist is someone who believe that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. That is certainly what she wants (and I do too).

After much deliberation i decided to actually watch the video (Feminists are great. But "Feminists" are not.. and there are plenty of those) A prime example is the femnazi that's running FI here in sweden... 

It was great^^ She made tons of great points and kept it entertaining :)

Yes this was sarcastic xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

But she is a feminist. She has never said that sexism do not exist, she has actually said the exact opposite many times.

What she is against is lies, twisted facts and sexism (sexism goes both ways) because it just gets in the way of actual progress. She wants equality and the best for everyone, not just women.

A feminist is someone who believe that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. That is certainly what she wants (and I do too).

I don't want to derail the thread into a discussion about Christina Hoff Sommers since we frankly agree 100% on this topic, but I'll be more than willing to do so in PMs since I feel that she isn't coming from this truthfully, and I think some of her attacks in the past has been less than ideal. 

Just message me if you want a friendly yet passinate clash of the minds:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Very good video. But of course, most of the media responses I've seen to this either call her a "dangerous anti-feminist" or completely sidestep any of the points made by pointing out that AEI is a conservative group, as if that simply enough to invalidate her entire argument. Surprise surprise... :rolleyes:

Feminism(over feminism actually, a lot of times feminism is actually good)  is going to become another natural selection method...just like stupidity.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The heroine we need.

There is more fact, reason and equal argument in this video than anything Anita "I know nothing about anything except for my horrible agenda" Sarkeesian could ever HOPE to achieve.

patriarchy/male dominance/male privilege problems are inherent to our societies at large

No there isn't, go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing a person that did research and know what they are talking about.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650