How do you feel about AT&T sponsoring LTT at CTIA

mvitkun

I hope it doesn't harm anyone and fades to nothing. Still doesn't make it right though, especially with protests going on at the same time. Its done now and like you said, it is pretty small and hopefully will have no impact. I definitely don't think it should be a recurring thing though. Would you consider having AT&T as a regular sponsor or do you think that it is okay as long as it just this one time?

There's no issue at all. Why would it impact anything? If you don't mind me asking what are the protests you're mentioning? Why do you think it's not right?

There's no issue at all. Why would it impact anything? If you don't mind me asking what are the protests you're mentioning? Why do you think it's not right?

He's referring to the protest dubbed "Day of Action" where multiple large companies are banding together to throttle their own services in an effort to show what the consequences of internet fast lanes would be.

He believes it to be morally wrong because AT&T openly opposes net neutrality, they also promote fast lanes and pay lobbyists for the sake of having the government approve internet fast lanes and approve of a lower standard of internet broadband.

In his opinion since AT&T openly opposes things that LMG/LTT promote, and AT&T promotes things that LTT/LMG oppose, LTT is ruining their brand recognition and is at the same time using said brand recognition to sway the minds of people who might otherwise oppose internet fast lanes and support net neutrality.

This is why you oppose the AT&T sponsorship right @smjpl ?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

https://www.google.ie/search?q=collocated&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts&gws_rd=cr&ei=x6MRVOPTH6ev7AafvICYBA#rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&q=internet+go+slow+protests

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe LTT is now AT&T's corrupted sl*t or anything but I'd like to know if other people think this would be okay as a regular sponsor?

Regular can vary widely so please say if you mean from a couple of times a year at events like this or even to more regular sponsorship (1, 2 per month etc).

I ask because a lot of people seem okay with this.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

This is why you oppose the AT&T sponsorship right @smjpl ?

I am worried that the points you mentioned could be a factor in longer term affects, yes. The only people (who are career dependent on the internet) that I have seen promote the communications industry lately is console people (not trying to attack console people) but most of them simply don't know better. We do know better, we shouldn't promote them.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe LTT is now AT&T's corrupted sl*t or anything but I'd like to know if other people think this would be okay as a regular sponsor?

Regular can vary widely so please say if you mean from a couple of times a year at events like this or even to more regular sponsorship (1, 2 per month etc).

I ask because a lot of people seem okay with this.

I'm okay with AT&T sponsoring infrequent events like this one.

I don't mean that they could pay LTT to go to an event every month, but an event that is relevant to LTT and is of interest to LTT/LMG (CTIA, PAX, CES, Computex) that they would not otherwise be able to cover due to the financial burden.

If I recall Linus said that he wasn't covering a few  of the above events because finding sponsors for an event that had X amount of views previously was very difficult and not worth the time or effort of covering it.I'm fine with AT&T sponsoring in those types of situations. A last resort sponsor essentially.

In the end I doubt Linus would let AT&T sponsor them all that often, because he realizes that it would create a feeling of distrust within the LTT community.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I am of the opinion that sponsorship should be given to companies/products you would actually CHOOSE to use. That said if given an option i don't thin anyone would choose ATT or CTIA.  

I dont thin it would affect linus's opinion to much when coming to coverage, but again it goes against my idea of sponsorship = recommendation(of some nature). 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I'm okay with AT&T sponsoring infrequent events like this one.

I don't mean that they could pay LTT to go to an event every month, but an event that is relevant to LTT and is of interest to LTT/LMG (CTIA, PAX, CES, Computex) that they would not otherwise be able to cover due to the financial burden.

If I recall Linus said that he wasn't covering a few  of the above events because finding sponsors for an event that had X amount of views previously was very difficult and not worth the time or effort of covering it.I'm fine with AT&T sponsoring in those types of situations. A last resort sponsor essentially.

In the end I doubt Linus would let AT&T sponsor them all that often, because he realizes that it would create a feeling of distrust within the LTT community.

I do understand that these events are expensive to get to and if this is the only option Linus has to get there, I will support him but I urge him to not try make it to every event if he gets a free ticket (not that he would anyway). Events are cool and all but in the end of the day they are sales pitches so information can be limited.

I do understand that these events are expensive to get to and if this is the only option Linus has to get there, I will support him but I urge him to not try make it to every event if he gets a free ticket (not that he would anyway). Events are cool and all but in the end of the day they are sales pitches so information can be limited.

I completely agree that he shouldn't try to make it to every event.

Linus Sebastian said:

The issue can be easily toned down as long as there is as much transparency as possible.

Having the company as a sponsor itself might be not the best idea, but ultimately what needs to be cleared to the viewers is what's behind.

Companies do not sponsor people for charity, they do it to have something in return, being it brand visibility or whatever else.

So what's behind AT&T? 

Are they trying to make peace with the tech internet community that hates them so much?

And to me as long as there is clarity and transparency as much as possible, then I have no problems.

Ultimately what counts is the trust between the content creator and the viewers, and being transparent is the best way to build that trust.

So what's behind AT&T? 

Linus clarified already, it's in the OP, seems like people aren't noticing it.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback in here so far, and I want to provide some clarifying information about the deal so that you don't feel like we've got anything to hide
The deal has the usual time-limited non-disparagement clause (end of September in this case). That DOESN'T mean on WAN show we can't report on something like AT&T's comments that 4Mbit is enough for broadband
We do need to cover some specific AT&T stuff at the show including the connected home and connected car showcases
We are not prevented in any way from covering OTHER stuff at the show
ATT has asked to review our videos before they go live to ensure the ATT messaging (thanking them at the beginning and end) is correct, which since we pre-recorded half of it (the pre-roll) it damn well better be.
Beyond the show, we have no plans to work with AT&T and if you guys prefer that we keep it that way, this thread is where to let your voice be heard.
Linus
Linus Sebastian said:

Linus clarified already, it's in the OP, seems like people aren't noticing it.

I did read that :)

Mine was more of a rhetorical question, since it might be very well possible that AT&T can try to do that again in the future or with other internet/youtube personalities.

And the way of marketing and business are always more subtle than what you might find on a piece of contract between companies.

So what's behind AT&T? 

Are they trying to make peace with the tech internet community that hates them so much?

Doubtful. But Linus does now have a connection with one of the key ISP players. I would love if he fills his AT&T contact in about some of the discussions that have been hand on his show regarding the topic. Then it could properly be transparent but I don't think Linus would do that. He doesn't seem to be in the business of burning bridges. That's Tek Syndicate's job!  

Linus if we all vote, will you try get some AT&T rep and Wendel to come on the WAN Show...? Please...?

Linus if we all vote, will try get some AT&T rep and Wendel to come on the WAN Show...? Please...?

Last time I checked Linus didn't want to be an accessory to murder.

Linus Sebastian said:

Last time I checked Linus didn't want to be an accessory to murder.

awwwh :(

While I am no fan of AT&T (I am a current subscriber with sub-optimal performance and would switch to almost anyone else, if given the chance), I am well enough informed that I have no real issues with this sponsorship.  The short sponsor spot at the beginning of CITA coverage is short and very blunt; Linus isn't going out of his way to make them seem great.  Luke's coverage of AT&T Drive was well done as too, it was more a -this would be kinda cool- video about the tech, and if they removed the branding could easily have been applied to any other company offering similar services.

In the end I trust everyone at LMG to give an honest review and I don't see them bending over backwards to comply with a sponsor they don't like.  If Linus felt they'd be compromised, he would have passed on the deal.

Since I've seen at least 5% - 10% of the people here describe an option they want available, but not one that can be accurately summed up in one option, I've created a general  "I don't want AT&T as a sponsor because X, X described below" option.
I've tried to quote all those who seemed to feel this way so that they might also be represented somehow.

Thanks, but adding it so late makes the poll pretty meaningless. A lot of people had already voted and likely won't return to change their vote or add their vote and comment making the new option unfairly handicapped. Would be better to just leave it excluded. For this reason I am continuing to not vote. I'm sure my comment will be read.

Thanks anyway :)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

As long as the integrity of content is in no way affected by an agreement then I don't care too much for a public company just being a public company.

Simply presenting information about a product is fine in my eyes even if the presentation is sponsored by the product owners. It's essentially just an ad and we understand that.

What is NOT acceptable is when you are providing additional input such as personal input such as preferences, and whether or not you would personally purchase it for yourselves while being influenced by something like a non-disparagement agreement or financial incentives both past, present, and future. Suggesting use cases, compatibility, and factual information shouldn't be an issue since it would just make us better informed.

Starting and argument where one isn't needed again I see.

He always does. As do I (admittedly). He's sort of like the liberal version of me. Which is why I have him on ignore.

Actually you're starting an argument.

DO NOT PERSECUTE ANYBODY FOR HAVING DIFFERENT VIEWS INSIDE OF THIS THREAD.

Yeah that's basically what Builder was doing in the first place?

ASIDE FROM THAT POINTLESS CRAP.

I do not want any ISP sponsoring the WAN show or anything else LMG does.. They are too goddamned big and evil (they are evil). While I trust Linus more than any other youtube personality in existence, I don't like to see him working with or for an ISP. Especially one that's hellbent on fucking it's customers over (5mbps connection is broadband? really?). Not to mention one of the ISP's fighting against net neutrality. I know Linus needs money (or wants, probably needs since he made a second baby with his genitals) but there are other, less degrading ways to get it.

Long story short, working/for with hardware companies is one thing @LinusTech, but working for an ISP is like working with satan. You ought to know that. At least you aren't being sponsored by TWC or Comcast lol

Edit: I forgot. Linus, if you have to ask us if we don't want a company sponsoring you, that's kind of an answer to the question in the first place.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

He always does. As do I (admittedly). He's sort of like the liberal version of me. Which is why I have him on ignore.

Yeah that's basically what Builder was doing in the first place?

ASIDE FROM THAT POINTLESS CRAP.

I do not want any ISP sponsoring the WAN show or anything else LMG does.. They are too goddamned big and evil (they are evil). While I trust Linus more than any other youtube personality in existence, I don't like to see him working with or for an ISP. Especially one that's hellbent on fucking it's customers over (5mbps connection is broadband? really?). Not to mention one of the ISP's fighting against net neutrality. I know Linus needs money (or wants, probably needs since he made a second baby with his genitals) but there are other, less degrading ways to get it.

Long story short, working/for with hardware companies is one thing @LinusTech, but working for an ISP is like working with satan. You ought to know that. At least you aren't being sponsored by TWC or Comcast lol

Edit: I forgot. Linus, if you have to ask us if we don't want a company sponsoring you, that's kind of an answer to the question in the first place.

There's at least one person that has complained about every sponsorship LMG/LTT has had, so if he didn't take a sponsorship any time he had to wonder whether every single person would approve of it then he'd be flat broke living in a box.

And he didn't (have to) ask, he made the decision and felt it was right. I then asked how the community felt and Linus added in after 5 pages of comments that he's paying attention to how people feel about the sponsorship.

Linus Sebastian said:

There's at least one person that has complained about every sponsorship LMG/LTT has had, so if he didn't take a sponsorship any time he had to wonder whether every single person would approve of it then he'd be flat broke living in a box.

And he didn't (have to) ask, he made the decision and felt it was right. I then asked how the community felt and Linus added in after 5 pages of comments that he's paying attention to how people feel about the sponsorship.

Yeah and the fact that hotspotshield add supported service is crap is small potatoes vs a company that can ironically enough drive youtubers like Linus right the fuck out of business with their fast lanes policies.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I saw, good to know he's paying attention to stuff like this. but

Yeah and the fact that hotspotshield add supported service is crap is small potatoes vs a company that can ironically enough drive youtubers like Linus right the fuck out of business with their fast lanes policies.

^took the words out my fuckin mouth, how are you penetrating my tin foil hat? DAMN YOU!!!!

Edit: I DO NOT think that Linus would allow himself to be censored by that kind of company, he'd drop them as a sponsor before doing that. However I just find it conflicting for them to sponsor him when they are in the consortium of companies trying to ruin the internet.

I saw, good to know he's paying attention to stuff like this. but

^took the words out my fuckin mouth, how are you penetrating my tin foil hat? DAMN YOU!!!!

I had some liberals inject a tracking device the last time you had an injection.....ha ha ha ha!

-------

Current Rig

-------

I had some liberals inject a tracking device the last time you had an injection.....ha ha ha ha!

Unnecessary. I offer my opinions to liberals freely, if they wake up I have won, If I annoy them, I have won lol.