Terrible ISP "packages"

RuecanOnRails

After running speedtest today, I began to notice my "rank" falling in the faster/slower than % compared to the rest of the nation.

Recently fibre lines were added in my area, I figured I should check my ISP for new offerings, speeds, and packages thinking there would be some new deals on top tier packages, damn was I remissed.

Here's what I found.

Their top of the line "High Speed Ultimate"

$253.95 per month

200 mbps down

10 mbps up

250gb limit, $1 per gb over. (cap reachable within approx. 3 hours of use)

The overage charges do not have any sort of flexibility, nor is there a cut off. Running at full speed with overage charges would cost $1 for every 40 seconds.

My current plan is 10% of their max, at a now below average of 20/1 mbps. However there is no data cap, and I've already used up over 700gb this month already. I can't see how anyone could survive with 250gb cap at such high speeds.

What crazy, or absurd plans does your ISP offer/try to sell you?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

24-hour "unlimited" mobile data promo with a speed of 20-100% of 5Mbps (dependent on hardware) and a data cap of 1GB for ~0.50USD...

Oh if you reach your data cap, the speed will be reduced to 56kbps for the rest of the month...

and

You can't avail of the promo for more than three days a week...

But that's on mobile...

15Mbps with 15GB monthly data cap for 40USD + extra charges per MB beyond said data cap...

ISPs are pretty great in the UK, lower tier packages have data caps though.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

$300 bundled with tv and home phone 

200gb monthly limit and no over extra after using the limit 

20down 

meant to be 10up only get around 1-3up

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I still can't wrap my head around data caps. I know they tried implamenting data caps here in Denmark back around 2004, but no one bought the packages with a data caps. 

And the gigabit fibre in Denmark is awesome. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I still can't wrap my head around data caps. I know they tried implamenting data caps here in Denmark back around 2004, but no one bought the packages with a data caps. 

It's so you don't use what you're paying for as much as they want you to.

its only for money. my current provider (details above) have the next unlimited cable deal at $300 monthly and no other features like tv and such 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

its only for money. my current provider (details above) have the next unlimited cable deal at $300 monthly and no other features like tv and such 

I know why the ISPs do it, but why don't people look through their bullshit? Internet is not a finite resource, so you shouldn't have to pay per quantity.

And 300 AUD/month? I can get a 500 Gb/s business plan for that price.

I pay 75$/month for 1Gb/s fibre with TV and landline phone

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

@RuecanOnRails

Ditch that shit and get novus. http://www.novusnow.ca/internet/

$100

300/15 Mbps

1000gb limit

- Winning

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Google Fiber, lol

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

wow thats sucks im in the uk and pay £50.00 or $80.00 and i get 300Mbs down and 30 up with no data cap 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

wow thats sucks im in the uk and pay £50.00 or $80.00 and i get 300Mbs down and 30 up with no data cap 

Yeah, North Americans get the shaft. It's fucking ridiculous over here.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Meanwhile in Roumania, farm in middle of nowhere has better internet

That also means you have to deal with living in Romania.

My package isn't horrible, it's $100 for 60mbps down/15mbps up and cable forced on me, with no data limit. I had another ISP that had a data limit but I went over it all the time and they never did anything to me, I'd hate to find one who actually pays attention.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Fibre 100mbps down/ 100mbps up, 20€/month. No data cap. Didnt know that someone still have data caps on home lines, I understand some kind of mobile data caps, but land lines...

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |

After running speedtest today, I began to notice my "rank" falling in the faster/slower than % compared to the rest of the nation.

Recently fibre lines were added in my area, I figured I should check my ISP for new offerings, speeds, and packages thinking there would be some new deals on top tier packages, damn was I remissed.

Here's what I found.

Their top of the line "High Speed Ultimate"

$253.95 per month

200 mbps down

10 mbps up

250gb limit, $1 per gb over. (cap reachable within approx. 3 hours of use)

The overage charges do not have any sort of flexibility, nor is there a cut off. Running at full speed with overage charges would cost $1 for every 40 seconds.

My current plan is 10% of their max, at a now below average of 20/1 mbps. However there is no data cap, and I've already used up over 700gb this month already. I can't see how anyone could survive with 250gb cap at such high speeds.

What crazy, or absurd plans does your ISP offer/try to sell you?

I did a calculation on the potential overage charges after the 3 hours of usage before the cap was reached.  I assumed a 31 day month.

66,690 dollars downloading at full speed in overages after a month.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

ISPs are pretty great in the UK, lower tier packages have data caps though.

Sky broadband 2am downloading from steam at 850kb\s le sigh.

15mbps, 20gb per month, $9.00 per extra gb, $129.99 per month. THAT is seriously fucked up, but if you live in middle-of-nowhere sister-fucker USA then that's what you fucking get

EDIT: Almost forgot to tell you about the 500-1500ms pings which are considered normal

-------

Current Rig

-------

bruh, isp's now :S for mine (optimum online / cablevision) my parents pay like butt low prices and i get 80 up and 40 down which is legit like perf. :D AND we get the tv, phone, all those goodies with it

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)