Car Performance

Guest Philosophy

I recently posted about the transmission of my Lumina. The problem I was having was with the idle and that's why it would make the noise when shifting got that done by changing the idle. I would like to know what I can do to improve horsepower with out ruining the trans. I don't need a racecar just a little more pep in the step then it has now. I was thinking Air Filter, Gas filter, Air intake. What are your recommendations? By the way right now I dynoed it and it has 218 Woo hoo 3 more than stock xD Edit: I have $400 to spend. 

Twin turbo

I don't need a twin turbo I want a little more pep not a speeding ticket...

A single turbo or a supercharger. Just for the eargasmic sound they make.

Or maybe a ram air intake.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Maybe replacing the air filter with a better one is one thing you can do if you don't want to spend a lot to upgrade the car's performance.

I recently posted about the transmission of my Lumina. The problem I was having was with the idle and that's why it would make the noise when shifting got that done by changing the idle. I would like to know what I can do to improve horsepower with out ruining the trans. I don't need a racecar just a little more pep in the step then it has now. I was thinking Air Filter, Gas filter, Air intake. What are your recommendations? By the way right now I dynoed it and it has 218 Woo hoo 3 more than stock xD

uum you could change the ECU. load a custom "trim" to it. you cna change the gas nozzles ( not sure if thats the real name as im norwegian we don't use english for everything haha). polish the cam's or change them to some tighter ones exhaust there are lots of ways :P depends on how much money u wanna spend 

edit its called fuel jet i believe ?

A Lambo. Linus might sell you his 7th if you're lucky.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Exhaust + tune. Should net you an easy 30HP

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

uum you could change the ECU. load a custom "trim" to it. you cna change the gas nozzles ( not sure if thats the real name as im norwegian we don't use english for everything haha). polish the cam's or change them to some tighter ones exhaust there are lots of ways :P depends on how much money u wanna spend 

I have about $400 to spend. 

I have about $400 to spend. 

if you're handy with welding. you can make yourself a custom manifold and fit a used turbo on there. but then you need a turbo tune ( here again if you know your way around u can do this alone with a laptop and some software ) 

not sure if you can do it for 400. kinda hard when prices aren't the same by a long shot ( US - EU ) 

if you're handy with welding. you can make yourself a custom manifold and fit a used turbo on there. but then you need a turbo tune ( here again if you know your way around u can do this alone with a laptop and some software )

not sure if you can do it for 400. kinda hard when prices aren't the same by a long shot ( US - EU )

My dad is a professorial welder and has car experience I just have rope him into doing it... xD

It's an automatic Lumina.. save your money.

It is just for the hell of it mate. I want to do it. don't worry about my finical situation I am well off.

My dad is a professorial welder and has car experience I just have rope him into doing it... xD

you could do a engine swap. alot of work but if i saw a lumina with a V8 id probably turn my head around hahaha

Turbo on a automatic is kinda eeh tho. probably better off with a supercharger. there are literally a million ways to squeeze ponies out of a engine. all comes down to how much time u wanna spend under the hood hehe

Honestly, for that car, the only real way you will get a decent boost in power is if you go forced induction. There really is not much power to be made with the stock normally aspirated motor. You would be lucky to get 10hp after exhast, intake and a tune with the v6 in that car.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I recently posted about the transmission of my Lumina. The problem I was having was with the idle and that's why it would make the noise when shifting got that done by changing the idle. I would like to know what I can do to improve horsepower with out ruining the trans. I don't need a racecar just a little more pep in the step then it has now. I was thinking Air Filter, Gas filter, Air intake. What are your recommendations? By the way right now I dynoed it and it has 218 Woo hoo 3 more than stock xD Edit: I have $400 to spend. 

The best advice is to not bother, it's a friggin Lumina.

That being said the whole air filter thing is a joke, sure a high flow filter "can" increase power but you only notice power increases when you're adding 20 or more. You still lose power through the drivetrain so anything you gain through the air filter will just be lost elsewhere. Getting a larger throttle body is a relatively cheap and effective way to boost power but so is running higher octane gas and that will show more improvement that buying expensive filters.

If you INSIST on modding a awful car the easiest things to do would be

Tune up(engine rebuild)

Larger Throttle body

Chip

Exhaust(headers, pipe, mufflers)

Higher octane fuel

Hotter plugs and wires

another easy way to get "power" is to shed some weight off the car.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

ok, your transmission having its doubts can be related to the idle change. there is

a device called the throttle position sensor. factory calibrated to a specific position.

moving the idle stop changed that value and now your transmission table using

any inputs of TPS are foul. along with manifold absolute pressure (MAP/vacuum)

that senses load. the transmission table in the PCM uses RPM, MAP, TPS and

MPH/KMH to shift and perform. any imbalance can cause issues in other areas.

for performance enhancements, yes an aftermarket air intake can help. but not all

air intakes are worthy of making power, just making noise (placebo). one that

isolates the air from the engine compartment (hot air) is one to consider.

the best bump in power increase is programming. within the PCM (computer) there

are "safe bets" programmed to make the best with what you have, but in some areas

(transmission shifting/pressure, torque converter lock up points, torque management,

etc) will increase the feeling and power betterment, but the caveat is you have to run

better/best fuel. no el cheapo fuel or you'll have detonation (ping).

bigger throttle body won't do much if anything as your engine doesn't need 1000cfm TB

to increase power it needs efficiency.

exhaust can help, but mainly a noise maker and only at wide-open throttle. look for

any torque improvement products and you'll then feel better with the performance while

driving, not just at the drag strip.

Anything bolt on for $400 isn't going to noticeably increase power and keep your transmission intact. If you're well off and want to have some fun, get a small nitrous kit and drive it into the ground.

Honestly, for that car, the only real way you will get a decent boost in power is if you go forced induction. There really is not much power to be made with the stock normally aspirated motor. You would be lucky to get 10hp after exhast, intake and a tune with the v6 in that car.

The best advice is to not bother, it's a friggin Lumina.

That being said the whole air filter thing is a joke, sure a high flow filter "can" increase power but you only notice power increases when you're adding 20 or more. You still lose power through the drivetrain so anything you gain through the air filter will just be lost elsewhere. Getting a larger throttle body is a relatively cheap and effective way to boost power but so is running higher octane gas and that will show more improvement that buying expensive filters.

If you INSIST on modding a awful car the easiest things to do would be

Tune up(engine rebuild)

Larger Throttle body

Chip

Exhaust(headers, pipe, mufflers)

Higher octane fuel

Hotter plugs and wires

another easy way to get "power" is to shed some weight off the car.

I think what people are lacking to understand is I am a 20 years old guy with no prior exerpiance with cars. I want to mod this one to learn how. This is the car I have (It was my first, way back in 2009)

ok, your transmission having its doubts can be related to the idle change. there is

a device called the throttle position sensor. factory calibrated to a specific position.

moving the idle stop changed that value and now your transmission table using

any inputs of TPS are foul. along with manifold absolute pressure (MAP/vacuum)

that senses load. the transmission table in the PCM uses rpm, MAP,TPS and

MPH/KMH to shift and perform. any imbalance can cause issues in other areas.

for performance enhancements, yes an aftermarket air intake can help. but not all

air intakes are worthy of making power, just making noise (placebo). one that

isolates the air from the engine compartment (hot air) is one to consider.

the best bump in power increase is programming. within the PCM (computer) there

are "safe bets" programmed to make the best with what you have, but in some areas

(transmission shifting/pressure, torque converter lock up points, torque management,

etc) will increase the feeling and power betterment, but the caveat is you have to run

better/best fuel. no el cheapo fuel or you'll have detonation (ping).

bigger throttle body won't do much if anything as your engine doesn't need 1000cfm TB

to increase power it need efficiency.

exhaust can help, but mainly a noise maker and only at wide-open throttle. look for

any torque improvement products and you'll then feel better with the performance while

driving, not just at the drag strip.

That may be the most helpful thing I have received on LTT Forum. I much appreciated it. I like that you did not tell to not waste my money and just told me what you thought about the question at hand :)

I think what people are lacking to understand is I am a 20 years old guy with no prior exerpiance with cars. I want to mod this one to learn how. This is the car I have (It was my first, way back in 2009)

I think they understand, but you should understand that most people will not see the sense in modding that car and would suggest not bothering and getting something that would be easier to mod and leave you with more to show for it.

I do very much understand the principle of "workin with what you got" but it's also good to start with something that has potential.

That's what I did

MjZqInN.jpg

wR06elS.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I think they understand, but you should understand that most people will not see the sense in modding that car and would suggest not bothering and getting something that would be easier to mod and leave you with more to show for it.

I do very much understand the principle of "workin with what you got" but it's also good to start with something that has potential.

That's what I did

What would you recommend then man, I am willing to buy new my car is worth something...

i've been tuning/dyno cars since fuel injection became mainstream.

once fuel injection went electronic thats what i did, remap PCM, do cylinder head

flow work, flow analysis, power analysis, camshaft/head compatibility studies.

all you can do is make a decision on the feedback from your posting. you feel

a need to upgrade, you need feedback on what's available and draw your own

conclusion.

If you are wanting to mod it, i would start with simple stuff like suspension upgrades.If you get some upgraded springs/struts or coilovers and some stiffer anti-roll bars, it will make the biggest noticeable difference.  Personally, i always go for suspension and tires before i touch the motor. If you want to make more power, you could find a used Eaton m90 supercharger and try and retro fit it to the car.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What would you recommend then man, I am willing to buy new my car is worth something...

Well that would depend heavily on what you like, though modding 88-96 5.0 mustangs is easy as pie and the parts are plentiful and cheap. Honestly I can't make that decision for you, if you want to mod your Lumina then go ahead but I would suggest taking a look around to see if you can find anything that you fancy more than what you have now.