Car Performance

Guest Philosophy

Its a supercharged 3800, same as the Grand Prix. I don't think they had a supercharged Corvette or Camaro until this recent body style, even then they were the same unit or extremely close.

I'm not much of a GM guy so I wasn't sure if the V6 corvettes has superchargers on them or not but I know the cameros had one. I know V6 corvettes are not all to common since people spend the extra $1000 for the V8 model so they could have just used the extra superchargers and put them in different cars. I would have to use the power of the internet to actually find out what engines the superchargers actually came from.  

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

That still isn't a good comparison, I honestly believe the K&N panel filters are worse than stock for both airflow and messing up the MAF. Typically you can just clean it, but I've seen it before where the oil somehow corrodes them and no amount of cleaning will get it back to proper air/fuel ratios.

I fell into the K&N marketing when I was in high school, put one in my Jeep Cherokee, Pontiac Grand Prix, and my Honda 450R. One by one all of them began having issues: gummed up throttle body in the Jeep, MAF sensor issues in the Grand Prix, and a toasted head in the 450R from too much dust getting thru the filter. Around the same time my uncle had issues with his near brand new GMC Sierra with the Duramax, the oil completely destroyed the sensors, threw the computer off and it was around $20k to fix, luckily under warranty, but we were told to quit using K&N as they have seen it a few times already. I just bought a Subaru Legacy and the previous owner had a K&N filter in it, I could tell something wasn't running right and swapped it out with a dry film panel, cleaned the MAF, and runs great now.

So literally EVERY experience I've had with K&N has turned out bad, and I'm a bit sour about it lol.

I still have never seen solid actual proof there are gains from it. The only solid proof I have seen about K&N filters is that they more dust through than OEM filters, and have personally witnessed what it can cause. Then again for the normal person driving on streets it would never be an issue, but I'd stay away from gravel roads with one. I'll see if I can find it, but I have a picture of the inside of the engine side of my airbox on the Grand Prix after running a K&N filter for 10k miles, the plastic was coated in dust. My Legacy was the same way, but I didn't get a picture of that.

I personally hate K&N also, most of my friends believe in them because they read the brochure and it says it gains up to 50 HP, so I know the marketing gimmick they do and other companies. The reason why I never use K&N air filter on any products is because they starve the engine for air to allow for fuel to be dumped in the cylinder. Yes, K&N filters does protect it from dust but it doesn't let air through (which I encounter on my friends truck/car, and small engines). Stock intake is always best for most cars and only need aftermarket if you are running a high performance engine 400HP or high since you need that extra air flow. Even then I would rather get a Aftermarket intake that stays in the fender or a Ram air kit since those help with more airflow than the pretty little engine bay one that do nothing so matter what. 

Random rant here :

To be honest I don't understand why some people keep saying they Dyno'd their car when they only added a air intake. Makes no sense since most places charge $300 for a dyno test so either they are lying or they really don't know anything and trying to make themselves look good.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

That still isn't a good comparison, I honestly believe the K&N panel filters are worse than stock for both airflow and messing up the MAF. Typically you can just clean it, but I've seen it before where the oil somehow corrodes them and no amount of cleaning will get it back to proper air/fuel ratios.

I fell into the K&N marketing when I was in high school, put one in my Jeep Cherokee, Pontiac Grand Prix, and my Honda 450R. One by one all of them began having issues: gummed up throttle body in the Jeep, MAF sensor issues in the Grand Prix, and a toasted head in the 450R from too much dust getting thru the filter. Around the same time my uncle had issues with his near brand new GMC Sierra with the Duramax, the oil completely destroyed the sensors, threw the computer off and it was around $20k to fix, luckily under warranty, but we were told to quit using K&N as they have seen it a few times already. I just bought a Subaru Legacy and the previous owner had a K&N filter in it, I could tell something wasn't running right and swapped it out with a dry film panel, cleaned the MAF, and runs great now.

So literally EVERY experience I've had with K&N has turned out bad, and I'm a bit sour about it lol.

I still have never seen solid actual proof there are gains from it. The only solid proof I have seen about K&N filters is that they more dust through than OEM filters, and have personally witnessed what it can cause. Then again for the normal person driving on streets it would never be an issue, but I'd stay away from gravel roads with one. I'll see if I can find it, but I have a picture of the inside of the engine side of my airbox on the Grand Prix after running a K&N filter for 10k miles, the plastic was coated in dust. My Legacy was the same way, but I didn't get a picture of that.

The filter came with the car, so I used it. I'm perfectly fine with just using the paper ones

"Rawr XD"