Oculus reveals details on Rift consumer version

rift-e1409908673595.jpg

Oculus has revealed a few details surrounding the upcoming consumer version of its virtual reality headset. For a start, the specifications for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift have already been decided on and the team already has a price point in mind.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Oculus founder, Palmer Luckey said: “We know what we’re making and now it’s a matter of making it. The consumer version is significantly improved, the jump from DK1 to DK2 is similar to the jump from DK2 to CD1, the consumer version.”

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift will feature a “significant increase” in resolution and will have a 90Hz refresh rate.

it’s possible that we could see it utilize a 4K screen- or a 1440p screen at the very least. Additionally, the final version will be smaller, lighter and much easer to set up compared to today’s development kits.

As far as price goes, we could either see it release as low as $200 or as high as $400, according to the Oculus founder, it could “slide in either direction” depending on pre-orders, scale, final components and business arrangements.

Where the hell is the consumer version?

Consider that Oculus Rift DK2 (development kit two) has just been released and the consumer version is understandably not imminent. More than 20,000 DK2 units have been shipped and more than 60,000 units ordered. Oculus has its hands full fulfilling that. What about in 2015 - will we see the consumer version then? Like a well-oiled robot Luckey replies, "We don't have anything to announce at this time." Mitchell laughs. "Sorry," he says, "that's the toughest question - it's the one that pains me the most!

Saucehttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-01-oculus-answers-the-big-rift-questions (delicious)

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/oculus-reveals-details-on-rift-consumer-version/

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

$200 low?

Woah.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I've never thought I'd say this but isn't that price... a bit low?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

though gonna release sooner definilty. price is OK. but i expect the will have perfect headwear with their own panel.

$200 to $400 is an awfully big range. If it ends up being close to $200, I might get it (although I'm more likely to wait for a second generation) but if it's $400, that's a little much.

if $200 dollar price they are bound to make it up with units sold now that they have better backing they can make that possible, but if bullshit facebook features are put into it i am out the second i see them.

reading that the consumer is a "couple years off" turned me down. i was sure it was going to be released in 2015...

Saucehttp://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/oculus-reveals-details-on-rift-consumer-version/

the actual source doesnt give anything about when its coming

"We don't have anything to announce at this time." Mitchell laughs. "Sorry," he says, "that's the toughest question - it's the one that pains me the most!"

nobody knows if its coming tomorrow or in 2030

like always kitguru are  talking out of their ass (click bait ftw)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if $200 dollar price they are bound to make it up with units sold now that they have better backing they can make that possible, but if bullshit facebook features are put into it i am out the second i see them.

i dont think we will ever see some Facebook features... or at least i hope so...

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

the actual source doesnt say anything about when its coming

"We don't have anything to announce at this time." Mitchell laughs. "Sorry," he says, "that's the toughest question - it's the one that pains me the most!"

nobody knows if its coming tomorrow or in 2030

like always kitguru is talking out of their ass (click bait ftw)

thanks i will update this 

i dont think we will ever see some Facebook features... or at least i hope so...

We all do.

I think what is more likely, is that eventually they might release a separate "Facebook edition" that has all the integration. I believe the Rift will stay a gamer oriented device, and we don't have to worry about it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

the only thing that's news to me is the spec's. price point hasn't really changed (originally they had aimed for $300-ish iirc), and release date depends on too many factors to predict accurately. Given that Facebook owns it, and setting up mass production to produce millions of units for a launch date will likely take months instead of decades (if Oculus hadn't been bought), I think 2 years is a worst case prediction.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would happily pay 200 for the consumer version.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

$200 isn't half bad. This is something I would love for some driving games, maybe even Thief, if it gets support. Anything above $300 will be a little steep for me. 

And Facebook, keep your grubby bullshit mitts out of my gaming. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

i am going to buy this but i have a feeling it will make me sick

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

VR ... could care less ....

With them saying crouching features and jumping features won't be coming to regular consumers for a long time while the US military gets their hands on the stuff I don't care about VR. 

In regards to Oculus yay it will be good for fighter pilot games.  I don't like fighter pilot games as they make me dizzy.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The price seems about right; They did say they could even consider selling it at a loss to make sure the general public can embrace the technology—'Cause if that doesn't happen, the VR push might just as well die for another 10 years.

The problem with the specs though... what "general public" has the PC to power a 1440p (or even 4k) display decently enough to run any games on it? They might have to market the device as a "new way to watch movies" or something.. eww.

Cheers,

Linus

Ohh VR Gaming is one of those things that built hype but it sucks so bad

I agree in the sense of it like how slick and other people think of it where we will be running around with it etc i dont think that will happen for a very long time and id probs just rather play paintball and do it for real but stationary games like euro truck simulator 2 and flight sims i think it will be really cool.

VR ... could care less ....

With them saying crouching features and jumping features won't be coming to regular consumers for a long time while the US military gets their hands on the stuff I don't care about VR. 

In regards to Oculus yay it will be good for fighter pilot games.  I don't like fighter pilot games as they make me dizzy.  

Have you used the Rift before? Obviously it doesn't work perfectly in every genre, but even using it in conjunction with keyboard + mouse/controller pad with an FPS game is quite sweet.

And yeah... Military VR tech is, uhm, Military. And probably classified lmao. We won't be seeing that kind of tech in a consumer product for years. Even if it's legal to make, it'd be so stupidly expensive that no one would buy it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The price seems about right; They did say they could even consider selling it at a loss to make sure the general public can embrace the technology—'Cause if that doesn't happen, the VR push might just as well die for another 10 years.

The problem with the specs though... what "general public" has the PC to power a 1440p (or even 4k) display decently enough to run any games on it? They might have to market the device as a "new way to watch movies" or something.. eww.

And with FB behind it now, they also might sell it at a loss just for the research possibilities, seeing what could be improved and how the public responds (they might come up with candy crush intergration! /s) 

And for that 1440p res, we probs need more powerful GPU's (and cpu's) although I hope DX12 makes a good improvement for everyone. And it still isn't really for the true "general public", more like general techheads, not just the ones with too much money and who really like to try the newest. And I think it would be amazing for watching movies, I've heard that there is a program for the Rift that makes a virtual movie theater in which you sit, that would be awesome

Personally I like that Gear VR Totem more (only because of the cameras in it tbh) 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

And I think it would be amazing for watching movies, I've heard that there is a program for the Rift that makes a virtual movie theater in which you sit, that would be awesome

It's truly horrible for movies, I would never be able to watch a complete movie in it; your eyes will die and your face will melt. We never wear it for more than 25-30 minutes in one sitting at the office, it'll give you massive headaches and hurting eyes for the rest of the day otherwise.

Cheers,

Linus