Apple is reportedly considering charging $400 for its wearable device

Bloodyvalley

Not hard, just inconvenient. 

Or people could not be lazy

Or people could not be lazy

This isn't a question of laziness. Actually, the very existence of a smartwatch is laziness due to its pairing with a smartphone, never having to take your phone out of the pocket. People already depend on their smartphones and other electronics, they don't need an additional device to depend on. 

You could argue back with "then stop using smart devices" - fair point. I use them, but am still capable of functioning without them. I don't need Google maps to find my way around a city, I'm capable of reading a regular map. I don't need to set an alarm on my phone, as I can train my body clock to wake up at a certain hour. I don't need to rely on a calendar app, as I can use a personal organizer or erasable wall calendar. 

A regular watch will always be more practical than a smartwatch. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

This isn't a question of laziness. Actually, the very existence of a smartwatch is laziness due to its pairing with a smartphone, never having to take your phone out of the pocket. People already depend on their smartphones and other electronics, they don't need an additional device to depend on. 

You could argue back with "then stop using smart devices" - fair point. I use them, but am still capable of functioning without them. I don't need Google maps to find my way around a city, I'm capable of reading a regular map. I don't need to set an alarm on my phone, as I can train my body clock to wake up at a certain hour. I don't need to rely on a calendar app, as I can use a personal organizer or erasable wall calendar. 

A regular watch will always be more practical than a smartwatch. 

You're right it isnt about laziness. The smartwatch idea wasnt made because people are lazy, it's a convenience factor.

You're right it isnt about laziness. The smartwatch idea wasnt made because people are lazy, it's a convenience factor.

Extra convenience is a side effect of laziness. There's also a fine line between laziness and efficiency, easily confused. 

Why do people use disposable utensils? Convenience, and too lazy to spend a few minutes washing up reusable utensils. 

Why do people need a TV remote? Convenience, and not having to walk over to the TV to switch channels. 

Some time-saving devices are essential, as it'll start to get tiresome after a while. Some time-savers contribute to destroying the planet further, and should be avoided. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

To all those justifying you $400 watch purchases, you know full well you bought into the brand and the luxury, not the quality. Maybe the craftmanship but that's not a given.

Had a Casio watch for 5 years now. No scratches, simple look analogue face. Cost me a fiver, and has never failed. Even if it conked out tomorrow, I would happily pay for it again, because if you can stretch a fiver for five years there is no point buying an expensive watch, unless it's about status and luxury.

No one is saying it is too much to pay in general for a watch, but for a first-gen, new type of product its far too much. Much like the iphone competed with smartphones at the time in price, the iWatch should do the same. Apple is relying on its image to charge more, which is well enough, but don't tell us it's 'worth it' or any of that crap.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

It's just speculations. The ipad was speculated to cost 1000 dollars. And besides the new apple under tim cook is a little bit more lenient in pricing especially after various cuts across their mac and iPod line. And 400 dollars for a premium watch isn't that high especially when you consider most enthusiasts spend about 700 dollars on a new phone every 2 years atleast

Omega charges 4 grand on a Seamaster just because they can. Cause they have a name, decent materials and and largely because, and don't quote me on this, "Fuck poor people who can't afford our stuff"

God damn those are some beautiful watches.

My ideal smartwatch would just be a normal mechanical watch with the transparent glass covering being able to be switch to an opaque screen. I would be super on board with that.

The other day I was thinking about designing something in inventor like that then getting a kickstarter going, but that takes to much effort and someone else will end up doing it before me.

Don't worry guys, there are plenty of sheep in this world ready to jump off a cliff. If it's good, I will buy mine off kijiji.

No one is saying it is too much to pay in general for a watch, but for a first-gen, new type of product its far too much. Much like the iphone competed with smartphones at the time in price, the iWatch should do the same. Apple is relying on its image to charge more, which is well enough, but don't tell us it's 'worth it' or any of that crap.

Don't worry guys, there are plenty of sheep in this world ready to jump off a cliff. If it's good, I will buy mine off kijiji.

Herein lies the problem with this forum.

You people are bitching about a product that doesn't exist yet costing too much based on essentially unfounded speculation. You just take every opportunity you can to attack Apple and its fans.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Apple die-hards would eat it up even at a $400 price point. And then six months after release when sales start to slow, Apple will probably reduce the price to ~$250. Not an Apple hater btw, I own a MacBook Pro and  MacBook Air and love em both, but hate iOS so there's about a snowball's chance in hell I'd consider purchasing this thing anyway.

I'm still not sold on these wearable devices (whether iOS or Android), personally. Even $250 is a stretch for me. I just don't like having something wrapped around my wrist at all times, so they need to basically eliminate any need for me to ever take my phone out of my pocket, save perhaps to surf the web or watch youtube or something like that which requires a bigger screen.  

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

Herein lies the problem with this forum.

You people are bitching about a product that doesn't exist yet costing too much based on essentially unfounded speculation. You just take every opportunity you can to attack Apple and its fans.

Dude. Who the fuck is attacking apple's fans? Certainly not me.

If you have a problem with people attacking apple, then you are far too invested in a single company. Apple isn't god, steve jobs wasn't jesus.

This is a news article on a rumour that the iwatch will cost $400. This price was given by the same people that told us september 9th was the iphone announcement. We can assume apple are going for a higher price point than android wear because of this. Hence, my argument is perfectly valid. Its a comment on a forum. You know, a place of fucking discussion? I didn't attack anyone. I simply stated my opinion. If my opinion was flawed in any way, please tell me so rather than putting words into my mouth.

And if you don't like this forum, please feel free to leave. The users are what make a forum, and if you find yourself at odds too often with the users, perhaps this isnt the right forum for you.

If you meant to say that certain users have issues with apple and apple fans, please choose your words more carefully next time.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Dude. Who the fuck is attacking apple's fans? Certainly not me.

If you have a problem with people attacking apple, then you are far too invested in a single company. Apple isn't god, steve jobs wasn't jesus.

This is a news article on a rumour that the iwatch will cost $400. This price was given by the same people that told us september 9th was the iphone announcement. We can assume apple are going for a higher price point than android wear because of this. Hence, my argument is perfectly valid. Its a comment on a forum. You know, a place of fucking discussion? I didn't attack anyone. I simply stated my opinion. If my opinion was flawed in any way, please tell me so rather than putting words into my mouth.

Then what is this gem:

"Apple is relying on its image to charge more, which is well enough, but don't tell us it's 'worth it' or any of that crap." 

That statement assumes there are people who will buy Apple products just because of Apple's "image," implying that they are a company supported by a majority of blind followers. If you intended otherwise please tell me what you meant.

I don't think Apple is god, and I don't think Steve Jobs is jesus. I hate Steve Jobs. He was a self-possessed idiot who convinced himself that special diets would save him from cancer. You are very good at attacking straw men though. 

So now I can't defend Apple at all? Even when people are spouting logical fallacies and being wrong all over the place? I just have to let the ignorance slide? Bullshit.

You can't assume anything about price because the last time prices were guessed on a new product, (the iPad) they were off by $500. You're saying it's too much to charge for a first gen product, etc. We literally don't know if this thing exists, (we still have absolutely no reason to) and you're already saying that paying $400 for it is going to be too much.

There's just too many assumptions being made in your post for it to be reasonable.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'll just wait until smart watch devices are <150 and actually good.

Pebble almost meets your stardard

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Then what is this gem:

"Apple is relying on its image to charge more, which is well enough, but don't tell us it's 'worth it' or any of that crap." 

That statement assumes there are people who will buy Apple products just because of Apple's "image," implying that they are a company supported by a majority of blind followers. If you intended otherwise please tell me what you meant.

Again, putting words into my mouth. That statement was a response to the posts in this thread which stated '$400 is not much for a watch' or something along those lines. i.e. it is worth the cost. I was comparing it to actual smartphones, not luxury items. Apple should be competing in the smartwatch category, which is completely seperate to traditional watches.

I don't think Apple is god, and I don't think Steve Jobs is jesus. I hate Steve Jobs. He was a self-possessed idiot who convinced himself that special diets would save him from cancer. You are very good at attacking straw men though. 

So now I can't defend Apple at all? Even when people are spouting logical fallacies and being wrong all over the place? I just have to let the ignorance slide? Bullshit.

You can't assume anything about price because the last time prices were guessed on a new product, (the iPad) they were off by $500. You're saying it's too much to charge for a first gen product, etc. We literally don't know if this thing exists, (we still have absolutely no reason to) and you're already saying that paying $400 for it is going to be too much.

There's just too many assumptions being made in your post for it to be reasonable.

Defending apple by disproving the legitimacy of my comment is one thing. Defending apple by saying 'you just take every opportunity to attack apple and it's fans' is something in a completely different ballpark.

And surely you, a self-proclaimed apple fan, know the history of apple and leaks? There is a massive difference between speculation and a leak. What we had on the ipad was speculation, because it was a revolutionised concept pretty much unprecedented (at least for a consumer), and we had little information to go on. Steve jobs was brilliant at keeping his fans on edge. What we have now, on the so-called iWatch, is leaked information, from the same people who also leaked the information on the 9th september announcement event. Hence, the information is trustworthy enough to provide an opinion on, which is all i fucking did. Did i do something wrong in your eyes? If so, I think you might need to rethink your idea of what a forum is.

And surely you, a self-proclaimed apple fan, know the history of apple and leaks? There is a massive difference between speculation and a leak. What we had on the ipad was speculation, because it was a revolutionised concept pretty much unprecedented (at least for a consumer). What we have now, on the so-called iWatch, is leaked information, from the same people who also leaked the information on the 9th september announcement event.

The price is not a leak. Someone is just saying that it happened, there is no proof.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The price is not a leak. Someone is just saying that it happened, there is no proof.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/08/05/apple-iphone-event-sept-9/

http://recode.net/2014/08/30/apple-9-9-2/

Leaked info is a leak. There is no 'proof' for any leak. leaked info is not known to be true or false until verified in some fashion. The leaked info on the sept. 9th event was verified by apple's announcement.

And i still don't see your argument. I made my post on this thread, based on apple considering a $400 price tag. Basically, you are saying no one can comment on this info because it isn't verified?

When the ipads came out in Australia they were $1000.  (I paid $967 for our first one).

Just saying.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

When the ipads came out in Australia they were $1000.  (I paid $967 for our first one).

Just saying.

Well, to be fair, Apple being a US based company probably doesn't care for (or can control) the asshattery that occurs across other borders. 

You're talking to the Canadian who pays more for Apple stuff despite literally cuddling with the USA at night. It makes little sense, but thems the cards we get dealt. In the ideal world you pay one price globally, in the ideal world you also have a singular currency, but thats a whole different topic.

Unless google make a nexus-like android wear device, samsung will f-up and release 20 all of which will be sub-par, htc can't afford to, LG will put buttons on the back and sony will release a decent smartwatch at a decent price but it will never be released over to you americans and thus wont be relevant.

Apple will make an expensive luxury usable item.

Come on moto 360, you are o

ur only hope

Oh come on, don't put them out of the game yet.

HTC is doing well with the M7 and 8 line. LG is up there too these days, Sony is decent indeed. There is still more hope.

To all those justifying you $400 watch purchases, you know full well you bought into the brand and the luxury, not the quality. Maybe the craftmanship but that's not a given.

Quality and craftsmanship depend on the brand. From experience, Citizen and Seiko have decades of reliable and quality watches, and their products range in price. I've used cheaper watches in the past too, and they don't last as long. I also don't do ultra-cheap digital watches either probably for a more vain reason (they're not as manly >.>). Most recent watch I got was about $60 and the battery drained within 6 months, whereas a low-end Citizen watch would easily last a couple of decades. 

Sure, $5 for 5 years is pretty good value, but $200-400 Citizen watch for potentially decades/centuries is better value. 

I wouldn't go for the really luxurious brand watches like Rolex or Omega. 

I'd rather buy a real watch that doesn't need recharging.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Well, while its not for me there are people out there who will spend whatever on something because its Apple.   But, Apple has kicked off allot of technology into popularity and demand.  And if Apple releases it and its successful it will push other companies to make equally good products at a cheaper price. 

If it shoots tranquilizer darts, I would still not consider it.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...