So, I want to shift to some serious headphones...

Clauricaune

Which ones would you guys recommend in the $200-$300 range? I listen to a bunch of different genres but mostly I'd be blasting metal and rock. Thinking of the DT 880s. 

Also, is the Blue Snowball a good option for a desk mic?

Which ones would you guys recommend in the $200-$300 range? I listen to a bunch of different genres but mostly I'd be blasting metal and rock. Thinking of the DT 880s. 

Also, is the Blue Snowball a good option for a desk mic?

If your going for a baller pair of headphones, you should get the Mod Mic. Its a mic you attach to your headphones

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Don't be silly, there is no best. These look good for a closed headphone, but not everyone will like or want that sound.

Nope, I have tried these headphones and can easily tell you that at the same MSRP the V-Moda M-100s are much better overall, sound quality, build quality, not to mention they look better too. This is probably because the M-100s fit my listening preferences so well, but with metal and rock, it's a tough choice. But thought you should know, a new and improved version of the PSBs were released a month or two ago. The NAD HP50, (NAD if PSBs sister brand) which look better and apparently sound better too.

P.S. I wouldn't put too much stock into those long forum posts on Head-Fi which are titled thoughts on a specific product. They are almost always just filled with the fans of the product, and few that will actually criticize what's being discussed, which creates a biased view.

Nope, I have tried these headphones and can easily tell you that at the same MSRP the V-Moda M-100s are much better overall, sound quality, build quality, not to mention they look better too. This is probably because the M-100s fit my listening preferences so well, but with metal and rock, it's a tough choice. But thought you should know, a new and improved version of the PSBs were released a month or two ago. The NAD HP50, (NAD if PSBs sister brand) which look better and apparently sound better too.

P.S. I wouldn't put too much stock into those long forum posts on Head-Fi which are titled thoughts on a specific product. They are almost always just filled with the fans of the product, and few that will actually criticize what's being discussed, which creates a biased view.

I wouldn't put stock into ANY post on the headfi.

Don't be silly, there is no best. These look good for a closed headphone, but not everyone will like or want that sound.

Did you read the article? It's true that not everyone will want that sound, but it doesn't even need to go that far. They list several reasons besides sound that make them really good headphones. They also came out on top in all of their testers' subjective listening tests, and for what it's worth I do put some stock in that. 

Also I don't trust Head-Fi that much, I've had some traumatic experiences there, but I'm not really an audiophile so I thought it would be better to show that several audiophiles like their sound.

Also the M-100 weren't in any of the testers top picks. Frankly I don't think they sound as good either, too bassy. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The PSB-M4U1 is the best.

I simply thought they were uncomfortable. the mechanism/hinge for folding the headphones doesn't fit very nicely on top of your head.

I simply thought they were uncomfortable. the mechanism/hinge for folding the headphones doesn't fit very nicely on top of your head.

Yeah. For some reason they copied the headband design of Beats. As far as comfort goes I'd say they're decent but if comfort is more important than sound quality there are better options.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Aiaiai tma-1 studio young guru edition it my recommendation. I just flat out love them and are the one headphone I forget I'm wearing.

Yeah. For some reason they copied the headband design of Beats. As far as comfort goes I'd say they're decent but if comfort is more important than sound quality there are better options.

The NAD Viso HP50 sounds very similar and costs the same. I thought the HP50 was more comfy, though I have seen reports of the headband causing issues for some people. It's one of those situations where you have to try both and see what works best for the individual - there is no "best"

f003b4e68d.png

1418eab671.png

The NAD Viso HP50 sounds very similar and costs the same. I thought the HP50 was more comfy, though I have seen reports of the headband causing issues for some people. It's one of those situations where you have to try both and see what works best for the individual - there is no "best"

So their frequency response is very similar, with the NAD being slightly more muted towards the high end? 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So their frequency response is very similar, with the NAD being slightly more muted towards the high end? 

Very very slightly. During my brief inspection/side-by-side at the store, I couldn't really tell the difference sound-wise. Fit and finish differences were much more stark.

Very very slightly. During my brief inspection/side-by-side at the store, I couldn't really tell the difference sound-wise. Fit and finish differences were much more stark.

It is extremely slight. The curve is still almost identical, just a couple dB lower or so.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So you would recommend the NAD Viso HP50? How does it compare to the Beyer DT 880 or 990?

buy an sennheiser hd800 with a hdvd 800 , you'll be poor, but nobody can say you have a bad headphone :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

So you would recommend the NAD Viso HP50? How does it compare to the Beyer DT 880 or 990?

82d914e04c.png

Most people will say that the 880 is better for rock as it is slightly brighter than neutral. Personally, I think an individual's preferred tonal balance is up to their ears, not the genre. I can't stand the treble spike on Beyerdynamic headphoens because I'm treble sensitive, but other people don;t mind it, and some quite enjoy it. No one can tell you which will sound best to your ears.

edit:

It is extremely slight. The curve is still almost identical, just a couple dB lower or so.

Oh, apparently the PSB M4U lineup and the HP50 were designed by the same guy: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-viso-hp50-headphone