Is Linus's Watercooling Room Terribly Designed?

Why do people keep saying this? I have no doubt of his plumbing expertise. Balancing a multi-radiator system is a furnace installer's job. I have simply stated that from vague pictures that it seems to have little control and insulation. Great, he's a plumber, now address the concerns I and others have listed.

You mean help you hate on an idea that hasn't even been realized yet? How bout you wait and see till the project is done and if it's still 'terribly designed' as you put it, then we can have a discussion..

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Personally, the whole project sounds like its more trouble than its worth.

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Why do people keep saying this? I have no doubt of his plumbing expertise. Balancing a multi-radiator system is a furnace installer's job. I have simply stated that from vague pictures that it seems to have little control and insulation. Great, he's a plumber, now address the concerns I and others have listed.

Insulation?? The idea I to get rid of heat not keep it in. So why would you have it insulated? Exposed copper with ambient air flow can help reduce the heat in the system over the length of the pipe.

As for freezing water, thermal shock etc, LN2 is use with extreme Over clocking with internal core temps well into the minuses. Don't think 0 or a few minus degrees will hurt a cpu. May be they'll use some kind of anti freeze in the system during winter?? Who knows. Personally

I have seen another post some in this thread about pressure regulators, why? There is no need for pressure regulators. The highest pressure they may have in this system will around 5 maybe 10 psi max. Any more than that, fittings inside the computer will start blowing off. So why pressure regs? There won't be enough pressure to regulate.

I think this idea is awesome. Kudos to them for going ahead with it.

I'd love to this to my systems at home but just don't have the money for the plumbing.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

Insulation?? The idea I to get rid of heat not keep it in. So why would you have it insulated? Exposed copper with ambient air flow can help reduce the heat in the system over the length of the pipe.

I have seen another post some in this thread about pressure regulators, why? There is no need for pressure regulators. The highest pressure they may have in this system will around 5 maybe 10 psi max. Any more than that, fittings inside the computer will start blowing off. So why pressure regs? There won't be enough pressure to regulate.

Yes, insulation. The issue they were having was not with machines overheating, it was with the room overheating. They want the heat outside. So insulating the interior pipe keeps the heat out of the room...                    ...Insulation.

Regulators are not for stepping down the pressure on the system, they are for regulating the amount of water going to a given machine so that they all get equal water flow from the loop. Imagine if the first machine in the loop has a single water block and the one at the end had a triple.

Sorry if i'm asking a question that someone has asked before, but what is linus planning to do with the 'Whole Room Watercooling'? 

Watercool all the computers in the room to reduce noise level and heat levels.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

He's done it essentially so he doesn't have to buy air conditioning :P

Also Edzel's rig was overheating  

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Think he's also done it simply because he can.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I think he's going to install water blocks on everybody's CPU and GPU, and connect them all to the same custom water cooling loop (I think there's 5 PCs in the loop), and they're gonna run the tubing outside to a giant radiator so the heat doesn't have to be expelled inside the house. That's what I assume anyways

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

basically its a custom loop with all computer on it, and the rads are mounted outside the house. basically he made the house his case

basically its a custom loop with all computer on it, and the rads are mounted outside the house. basically he made the house his case

Who lives in a Canada in a giant PC?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Linus Tech Tips

Anyway will be interesting to see how they do it to be honest. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Linus! Linus! Linus Sebastian! Hahaha :P 

He does it so i doesn't have to bay aircondition.

Sorry if i'm asking a question that someone has asked before, but what is linus planning to do with the 'Whole Room Watercooling'?

Why don't you ask the man himself?

@LinusTech

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Every computer in the room is set up for external watercooling

The computers will be linked up to large radiators hanging off the roof of the house, outside, where it's cool (especially in the winter) and back into the house, and into the PCs.

There's probably a large reservoir somewhere in the house. 

He's doing it due to the massive amounts of heat that the PCs are producing, seeing as they produce videos and overclock all their components.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Linus Tech Tips

Anyway will be interesting to see how they do it to be honest.

The worrying thing I've just seen is that it does match the sopngebob theme...

And OP it's so Mr. Sebastian doesn't have to bow to his employees wishes for air conditioning and instead gets to have some fun with PCs.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

As far as I know, the concept is as follows: connecting multiple PC's to a radiator external to the building however the main issue he'll face is sub zero temperatures during winter. 

As far as I know, the concept is as follows: connecting multiple PC's to a radiator external to the building however the main issue he'll face is sub zero temperatures during winter. 

Just put antifreeze in the coolant. It has worked for cars for over a hundred years.

Just put antifreeze in the coolant. It has worked for cars for over a hundred years.

That won't be the issue, it'll be the condensation when the cold liquid enters the room.

The worrying thing I've just seen is that it does match the sopngebob theme...

It's supposed to :D 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

That won't be the issue, it'll be the condensation when the cold liquid enters the room.

A thick plastic box with insulation that the radiator is housed in will solve that.  Something as simple as a fan controlled by a arduino that is reading a thermoresistor to ensure the insulated box doesnt get too cold.

The idea of dumping heat outside during the winter sounds pretty dumb anyway.

he plans to address this issue by not having as many fans running when its that cold so the water temp in the loop dont dip below a specific temp.... also in winter he could just use the quick disconnects and run each on separate rads

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

And if it is too cold and they have absolutely nothing intensive to do on the machines, they can always have them all contribute to the LTT Folding at Home team :D

EDIT: WTF, I didn't want to mention anyone...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz