Using an Asus X99 Motherboard will maybe lose the Warranty of your CPU

Mystorius_
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Okidoki, to (help) keep this from causing more confusion, I'm

consolidating these two posts and marking them as best answer

for thread so that people can easily see.

Thread will be left open though in case people want to discuss

more.

The rumor is false :)

1)      At stock speeds the special sauce is not active – so people that don’t want to use it don’t have to worry.

2)      When overclocked, the things we are doing still fall under the banner of overclocking. Nothing changes and any Intel protection plan would still be honored as usual overclocking.

3) We have been using similar tricks via other methods for years on our boards. Here we used it via socket pads as it made sense for some of the things we found.

Well damnit. I'm going to get an Asrock board if thats the case.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Well damnit. I'm going to get an Asrock board if thats the case.

Which gets you an Ultra M.2 Slot which will be more future-proof than the standard slots.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If this is real, it is just a troll, MSI/AsRock/Gigabyte for the win man

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

That's not really an issue. How many times have you heard of someone RMAing their intel CPU?

I have been here many months and never heard of it happening.

I have seen it quite a bit on overclock.net, people murdering their CPU's from OC'ing without intel protection plan and still being able to RMA it saying it won't post ETC.

( i think part of the reason you haven't seen much here is because 80% of the user base on this forum is probably <14 and follows OC guides, rather than pushing their hardware to the limits.)  (not many people do that here from what I've seen)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have seen it quite a bit on overclock.net, people murdering their CPU's from OC'ing without intel protection plan and still being able to RMA it saying it won't post ETC.

( i think part of the reason you haven't seen much here is because 80% of the user base on this forum is probably <14 and follows OC guides, rather than pushing their hardware to the limits.)  (not many people do that here from what I've seen)

But the intel warranty does not cover OCing...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It has many a time.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

its no longer a by far situation, last year gigabyte sold merely 100,000 less boards then asus, sounds like a large number but in the grand scheme gigabyte has exploded in terms of sales. asus has remained so large because they have an excellent pr and marketing department. people know the asus name before you know the gigabyte name or the msi name. A large majority of people are likely to buy asus because of how much other people have them, now the tides are changing, gigabyte and msi even asrock are boasting about how robust their screening systems are in the last two years and the results show.  The asus rma department in the uk is very bad as well.

Asus' RMA department is bad in general, I had a similar experience when trying to RMA a laptop for my sister which had a bad solder on the power input.

They kept trying to say that they couldn't do anything about it, then afterwards tried to convince me to send it to their repair department based in Asia.

Took hours to convince them to accept the rma to a repair department based in the U.S since she needed the laptop back soon.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I'm not saying that the Haswell architecture is bad, I'm saying the Haswell line of CPUs had more potential. A great example is the 4670k and the 4770k, why was devil's canyon even necessary? Because Intel cheaped out the first time and they knew they could hit us up a second time with empty promises of better overclocking. I honestly would not be surprised if Haswell still has more potential that is being artificially held back.

When someone from Intel was doing a Q&A session with Linus, didn't he say that the intention for Devil's Canyon was more consistent overclocks, not necessarily better ones per se.

When someone from Intel was doing a Q&A session with Linus, didn't he say that the intention for Devil's Canyon was more consistent overclocks, not necessarily better ones per se.

Just before release, Devil's canyon was promised overclocks of 5 Ghz on air. Seeing as the average 4770K taps out at around 4.3 Ghz, I'd say they were promising better overclocks. And of course now we know they were full of it because most 4790Ks are lucky to reach the same overclocks as their 4770K brothers and usually require more voltage to do so. Is it possible that they had a Q&A session after release where they tried to emphasize consistency instead of their early boasts of crazy overclocks? Sure, but the damage was already done and they were just trying to put out fires at that point.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

You can upgrade your warranty to cover it for $25-35, and that's retroactive.

And not everyone has to, that's the great part about this. If you're the type of person who would willingly give up your warranty in pursuit of extra performance, then congrats Asus now offers you just that. If you'd rather keep the warranty on your CPU and lose the potential performance increase then don't buy a motherboard that has the extra pins. There's no reason to bash Asus for providing a beneficial feature that you happen to not be interested in. You don't burn down a museum for displaying a painting you don't like, you walk away and let everyone else enjoy the museum because there will be people who like that painting. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one should have the option.

This would be a decent argument if this didn't affect their workstation boards too. That part, however, trows this out of the window.

Does this affect the X99-WS? Because i was planning on picking that up for the dual intel nics.

This would be a decent argument if this didn't affect their workstation boards too. That part, however, trows this out of the window.

Asus has already stated that they would cover the cost of the CPU if something does go wrong, so pretty much every debate in this topic is moot anyway. I just wanted to smack around the people bashing Asus for absolutely no reason. Asus gave us the potential for more performance that had never been thought of and some people had the nerve to complain that they did not have Intel's blessing.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

i haven't seen any Intel direct response on this.

dunna know, one article, five google hits two from same person (signed up

yesterday) and in the Paul's Hardware Channel, J J alludes to something a

design implementation that ASUS does, that others do not to be followed

up at a later date.

at 7:00 to 7:40

Does this affect the X99-WS? Because i was planning on picking that up for the dual intel nics.

Maybe, the Videos about it are not mentioning if it has more than 2011pins (and its not out on their official website)

And not everyone has to, that's the great part about this. If you're the type of person who would willingly give up your warranty in pursuit of extra performance, then congrats Asus now offers you just that. If you'd rather keep the warranty on your CPU and lose the potential performance increase then don't buy a motherboard that has the extra pins. There's no reason to bash Asus for providing a beneficial feature that you happen to not be interested in. You don't burn down a museum for displaying a painting you don't like, you walk away and let everyone else enjoy the museum because there will be people who like that painting. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one should have the option.

I did not intended to "bash" Asus but if this is true and you can't find it anywhere on their Homepage that's not right. They at least have to say "If you use this Motherboards you will lose the Warranty of your CPU" or something like that especially for a company like Asus.. Furthermore if you are really into overclocking you normally don't buy WS or Deluxe boards, do you?

How will they prove you used said boards?

I guess they're able to tell from the damage caused?

What damage...

No damage is caused...

They can tell if you used it from the contact surface on the CPU. If you use a "normal" socket at thes contact points doesnt have contact to anything. But if you use the modefied Socket the Pins in that socket "scratsch" thes Contact sufraces. Theres a picture in the artikle wich show this. So they can easily tell if you used the modefied socket or not.

But ASUS said that if the waryenty is voidet they will garanty you to replace it till thes have talked with intel.

Official Statement from Asus:

"1. Has the OC-Socket been co-developed with or validated by Intel?

No, this is ASUS feature, just like our power design or the rest of ASUS features. We are dedicated to provide the best to our users as always. This feature went through very comprehensive testing and validate in ASUS lab and we have no doubt because we know and guarantee it’s fully compatible with all Intel LGA2011-3 CPUs

2. Will ASUS cover the warranty if there is a compatibility issue with CPU or if the design damages the CPU?

Our warranty policy principle will be the same, if any issue happen DURING NORMAL AND PROPER USE, we will take care of it. However, we are fully confident about the compatibility and this feature won’t damage the CPU during normal and proper use.

Asus"

Official Statement from Asus:

"1. Has the OC-Socket been co-developed with or validated by Intel?

No, this is ASUS feature, just like our power design or the rest of ASUS features. We are dedicated to provide the best to our users as always. This feature went through very comprehensive testing and validate in ASUS lab and we have no doubt because we know and guarantee it’s fully compatible with all Intel LGA2011-3 CPUs

2. Will ASUS cover the warranty if there is a compatibility issue with CPU or if the design damages the CPU?

Our warranty policy principle will be the same, if any issue happen DURING NORMAL AND PROPER USE, we will take care of it. However, we are fully confident about the compatibility and this feature won’t damage the CPU during normal and proper use.

Asus"

Still sounds a bit dodgy to me. It'd wait until there are some reviews, or some testing has been done.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

i haven't seen any Intel direct response on this.

dunna know, one article, five google hits two from same person (signed up

yesterday) and in the Paul's Hardware Channel, J J alludes to something a

design implementation that ASUS does, that others do not to be followed

up at a later date.

at 7:00 to 7:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBa8UokMhLA&list=UU_SN80_V2GymyCWM2oTYTeg

Go to 28:40. 

This was posted 2 days ago by TTL.

I did not intended to "bash" Asus but if this is true and you can't find it anywhere on their Homepage that's not right. They at least have to say "If you use this Motherboards you will lose the Warranty of your CPU" or something like that especially for a company like Asus.. Furthermore if you are really into overclocking you normally don't buy WS or Deluxe boards, do you?

No, the WS boards are for semi-pro's and pro's who need a workstation grade board that they can throw a million things on and no worry about failing. The Deluxe is the feature savvy board. This socket belongs on the ROG crap, not the rest of the x99 boards

While I appreciate the fact that ASUS had the balls to do this, yet as I will most likely be investing around 2000$ in RAM / MOBO / 5960x  / New CPU Block, as I will be doing a shit load of video editing and stuff for the next few years atleast, I think I might go with Gigabyte.

I was going for an ASUS RoG [i know it's for the 13yrs old] or a WS-E over a Gigabyte solely for the Socket. But the problem is if this actually voids the warranty and may have long term effects on the CPU, I will go with Gigabyte [most likely afterall].

There is no Intel OC protection where I live [CH], and 1000CHF / 1150$ for a CPU will bankrupt me quite a bit, considering I'm a student. I plan on using this upgrade for at least 3-4yrs if not 5+. Damaging a 1000CHF CPU will make me have no PC for a few months, which I cannot afford.

The only thing that somewhat bothers me is that I can't seem to find a Gigabyte Workstation board, as the SOC-Force and so on seem to have about 1/2 of the USB / Sata-Ports of the ASUS boards. [i have about 8 USB ports + 6USB-HUb stuffed on my Z77 soooo....] ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

"The OC Socket does not void the warranty, the warranty remains the same. This was reported out of context of what Intel said. Intel stated they do not *validate* the socket, but this is true of all motherboard customizations. If, for example, a motherboard with bad VRM design with standard socket was on the market this would also not be validated, yet, you would damage your CPU. That's why buying a product from a company with proven track record in quality and validation - like ASUS - is so important! Every MB enhancement on our X99 MBs has gone through rigorous validation so you can buy in confidence." -Asus ROG Facebook Page

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Yet another reason why i never recommend asus motherboards, time and time again they prove to do stupid things, maybe they should even try to improve their failure rate or customer service, those are things which let down asus.

I think its more the fact that you should never buy a platform at release, like that one acouple of years back with ram problems?

I have had warranty claims with asus, yes it was slow but what you expect with such a huge company. but the communications and result was great.

always teething issues with releases, give it a month or so and it will see if this socket is worth it or not

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I just ordered the x99S XPower AC, If I knew that my decission would have been a hell lot easier :D

Thanks for the news fellow :3

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean