Haswell-E review (hardwarecanucks)

Kevinkt

Only 18 months ago, Intel’s enthusiast platform was on the chopping block. While X79 and Sandy Bridge-E did well and Ivy Bridge-E was on the horizon, the desktop PC market was in a downturn and the continuity of interest for ultra-high-end platforms was in doubt. And yet here we are reviewing Haswell-E and Intel’s first 8-core 16-thread enthusiast processor, the Core i7-5960X. So what happened? A resurgence in the desktop space has created a rapid succession of roadmap updates, adding processors like Devil’s Canyon, the Pentium Anniversary Edition and a now full Haswell-E lineup. 

Dat 8core.

5960X123-5.jpg

5960X123-6.jpg

5960X123.gif

Not bad not bad, a little underclocked but what about games?

5960X123-60.jpg

Keeping up with an AMD 8core but still falls behind due to clock speeds. Kinda wish they did more testing with mantle.

full review and source

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67240-intel-haswell-e-i7-5960x-review.html

Newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117404

Who even needs 8 cores for gaming??? 6 cores is enough(talking about future games).

Ill take a 4790k at < 250$ not euros(whenever thats gonna become reality) thank you.

Ill wait for a mainstream intel 6-core that can OC under 300$ too, im sick of 5% per generation.

Edited by deviant88

god i hope people dont buy this for gaming ........

yeah reading all the benchmarks it's not worth it. the six core would be fine if you wanted x99

The 5820K has quite a good price in my opinion, dat six-core for 350€.

Luckily the 5960x is out of my price range because I'd render it to death

144Hz goodness

Ill get the six core one if it OCs good

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Who even needs 8 cores for gaming??? 6 cores is enough(talking about future games).

If you can overclock it to around the same frequency as the 4790K, it would perform almost identically. As it is, there is very little difference.

It's designed for professional use, but works well for gaming. Don't forget that people don't need watercooling equipment, they want it.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Just like to point out, Intel 8 core at 3.3GHz (I'm assuming that's the all core speed) = AMD 8 Core at 4.7GHz, with the Intel being at almost half the TDP

The GHz war is truly over

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

So no 5820k review

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Just like to point out, Intel 8 core at 3.3GHz (I'm assuming that's the all core speed) = AMD 8 Core at 4.7GHz, with the Intel being at almost half the TDP

Yep, lol and core war.

I love this paragraph,

Finally there’s the i7-5820K which is a bit of an oddball addition since it plays the part of a bridge between Haswell-E and the less expensive Devil’s Canyon i7-4790K. While it boasts six physical cores and the potential to process up to twelve threads (a definite benefit over the i7-4820K’s 4/8 configuration), clock speeds are about 10% lower than the comparable IVB-E part. Then there are the 28 PCI-E lanes which had us scratching our collective heads since this is a layout which won’t allow buyers to run two graphics cards at full x16 speeds. Without that capability and unless having those 12 threads is an absolute necessity, gamers may as well turn towards the Z97 platform which is less expensive and whose higher end processors will run circles around Haswell-E in games.

I truly do not understand the hard on this place seems to have for the 5820k, to me its very much like the 4820k, they just don't make a lot of sense.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I love this paragraph,

I truly do not understand the hard on this place seems to have for the 5820k, to me its very much like the 4820k, they just don't make a lot of sense.

I know, the reason you buy x99 in my opinion is for the core count and the ton of pci-e lanes you get

28 in some ways does make sense, as you can run 3 way SLI, unlike Z97 where you can only run 2 way SLI

You can technically run 4 way Crossfire on both 28 and 16 lanes, but I can't think of one Z97 board with 4 x16 slots.

The only thing you need 40 lanes for is 4 way SLI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

seems to me that a 5960X would be like having two underclocked 4790Ks on the same system. and to think i'm fine with just one...

well, at least there's M.2, SATA-Express, DDR4, and the sheer number of PCI-E lanes to look forward to. :)

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

Gee that thing smashes the productivity benchmarks tho! Will be interesting to see how the cheaper chip fares

Great, OP just links us some GPU variation benchmarks >.>

Post Single threaded benchmarks & Multithreaded, thermals info whatever

Ill take a 4790k at < 250$ not euros(whenever thats gonna become reality) thank you.

Ill wait for a mainstream intel 6-core that can OC under 300$ too, im sick of 5% per generation.

You do know the max ilc is 1, right? They're sitting at .83 ipc. It's not like there's a lot of headroom to improve, and then if they reach a perfect 1 then it's about finding more exotic parallel instructions, faster clock rates, or more cores. Don't complain about 5% average across all instructions. Broadwell's 5% comes from its Floating Point and small vector multiply/divide instructions being reduced from 5 cycles to 3. That's a huge scientific computing performance gain. Almost all integer instructions are 1 or 2 cycles now. Stop bitching about 5% performance gains.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And the Intel has like 4x the multithreaded performance...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Where do you see a 8350 at 4.7GHz being equal to an intel 8 core at 3.3GHz? Don't bring that hashing crap out, a 4770k getting outperformed by a richland APU makes complety no sense.

Danish online hardware store komplett has just put the prices of x99 up on their site

https://www.komplett.dk/intel-core-i7-5930k/822373 (use currency converter)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Where do you see a 8350 at 4.7GHz being equal to an intel 8 core at 3.3GHz? Don't bring that hashing crap out, a 4770k getting outperformed by a richland APU makes complety no sense.

It was a 9590 in the test. Look at the benchmarks. I was making reference to the benchmarks. The benchmarks clearly show that, for gaming, the traditional ground of MHz > anything else, a very low clocked CPU matches a very high clocked CPU, showing the dominance of Intel's IPC right now

Also, I made no reference to APU's, so I don't know where you're getting that from

Even 4 is enough. And Batllefield is pretty much the only multi-threaded game ou there, most are single.threaded.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It was a 9590 in the test. Look at the benchmarks. I was making reference to the benchmarks. The benchmarks clearly show that, for gaming, the traditional ground of MHz > anything else, a very low clocked CPU matches a very high clocked CPU, showing the dominance of Intel's IPC right now

They all are within margin of error, is pretty much explaining itself that they were GPU limited - reviewers arent doing anything else these days besides testing the variations of the GPU's performance. A 8350 at stock clock would have matched that 5960x, especially at 1440p and a single GPU.