Haswell-E review (hardwarecanucks)

Kevinkt

I love this paragraph,

I truly do not understand the hard on this place seems to have for the 5820k, to me its very much like the 4820k, they just don't make a lot of sense.

It's still the better choice if you only care about using 1-2 GPUs and you do a lot of rendering.

They all are within margin of error, is pretty much explaining itself that they were GPU limited - reviewers arent doing anything else these days besides testing the variations of the GPU's performance. A 8350 at stock clock would have matched that 5960x, especially at 1440p and a single GPU.

Okay, I concede that point, though I'd still like to see a performance test in a CPU bound game.

But what were you banging on about with APU's? It didn't really make sense to me

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Okay, I concede that point, though I'd still like to see a performance test in a CPU bound game.

But what were you banging on about with APU's? It didn't really make sense to me

Just watch at that AIDA64 CPU hash benchmark. 9590 just 5% slower than a 5960x. That APU was faster than the 2600K, not 4770K my mistake: http://i.imgur.com/PH54Z2c.png

Who even needs 8 cores for gaming??? 6 cores is enough(talking about future games).

I need for the lulz?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Just watch at that AIDA64 CPU hash benchmark. 9590 just 5% slower than a 5960x. That APU was faster than the 2600K, not 4770K my mistake: http://i.imgur.com/PH54Z2c.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because AMD requires less ticks to execute that hashing instruction than Intel?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Just like to point out, Intel 8 core at 3.3GHz (I'm assuming that's the all core speed) = AMD 8 Core at 4.7GHz, with the Intel being at almost half the TDP

The GHz war is truly over

Do you have a idea what you are talking about?

Never compare Intel cores against AMD cores.

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Do you have a idea what you are talking about?

Never compare Intel cores against AMD cores.

My argument was that in the early days of processors, IPC was so similar that it was entirely based on processor speed. The fastest CPU was the one with the most MHz.

Now-a-days, it's entirely based on IPC. A 1.4GHz difference between CPU's back then would have been MASSIVE. Now, Intel's IPC entirely makes up for it.

It's why I said the GHz war was well and truly over, and the power war begins. Intel performing the same as a core with 1.4GHz higher clock speed at 140W compared to the 220W TDP of the 9590 shows how far we have come from the early days

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because AMD requires less ticks to execute that hashing instruction than Intel?

No ideas, it's maybe because AMD uses extensions for SHA1 but Intel doesnt have this until Skylake. 

It's still the better choice if you only care about using 1-2 GPUs and you do a lot of rendering.

Only 1 gpu you mean. Neither the 5820k nor Z97 can run two GPU's at full x16 speeds. So you have an X platform that does not have any real advantage in PCI-e over the consumer chipsets. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

did these guys break nda? i have seen no other major reviewer with haswell-E yet

No ideas, it's maybe because AMD uses extensions for SHA1 but Intel doesnt have this until Skylake. 

Yes. That is exactly the case. Though seriously who cares about hashing these days? ASICs or go home.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only 1 gpu you mean. Neither the 5820k nor Z97 can run two GPU's at full x16 speeds. So you have an X platform that does not have any real advantage in PCI-e over the consumer chipsets. 

FACEPALM* 28 lanes native + 8 from the chipset. Plus 8x 3.0 = 16x 2.0. There's barely a performance gain with 16x.

Plus, 28 lanes allows 3x SLI in 8x and has room for a sound card, wireless, network, and/or M.2 all at once. Z97 does not.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

did these guys break nda? i have seen no other major reviewer with haswell-E yet

According to this supposedly official Intel slide

Intel-HaswellE-E-VideoCardz_Com-Press-De

The embargo ends at 5PM BST, so they're a little bit early, but not enough to cause major problems I imagine

The main benefit is 3-way SLI and the fact you can actually buy boards with enough slots to do 4 way Crossfire

The only game I see 8 cores being an advantage in is Star Citizen (all them thruster calculations in vanduul swarm!), but even then, by the time Star Citizen actually comes out, better, and WAY cheaper CPU's will be available.

The only game I see 8 cores being an advantage in is Star Citizen (all them thruster calculations in vanduul swarm!), but even then, by the time Star Citizen actually comes out, better, and WAY cheaper CPU's will be available.

Well, I guess by 2099 we'll all be using Quantum Computers (or whatever comes after)

Still, I'll enjoy playing the full release of Star Citizen and watching Sherlock Season 4 

Found this to be the most intersting

Cinebench115CPU_Hyereerbedre.png

From: http://www.hardware.no/artikler/test-intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e/162871/4 (Norwegian)

Clocked up to 4.2GHz, that's quite nice for 8 cores

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

holy shit the gates of youtube are spamming me with x99 videos

Uh... okay? I think your frustration affected how you read my post. I didn't claim an advantage with 2 GPUs at all.

Uh... okay? I think your frustration affected how you read my post. I didn't claim an advantage with 2 GPUs at all.

Though it can do 3-way SLI and have lanes left over.

Though it can do 3-way SLI and have lanes left over.

Btw you know what you can do now? You can test each core individually out to see how well it is binned. So for example core#0 asks 1.10V for 4.5GHz, core#5 asks 1.15V, core#3 asks 1.30V, core#7 asks 1.22V and any other cores ask more than 1.40V. So you would most likely use the first 4 cores to push higher clocks out and use them for gaming and have the others disabled or just at stock.

Even 4 is enough. And Batllefield is pretty much the only multi-threaded game ou there, most are single.threaded.

dualcoremasterrace

dualcoremasterrace

p4masterrace

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

p4masterrace

NetburstItaniumMasterRace

Ill get the six core one if it OCs good

you got a 4670k. what do you need an 6 core for=

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans