Asus X99-E WS Motherboard

Danielm888

I didn't say it was a GOOD system.

Understood

I just said it was a technically complete system.

Minus the PSU, OS (not going to use Linux on a workstation) and a few other things

Also, check out pcpartpicker. 1x4 sticks are available.

I see

And the 5820k does have a core advantage.

Only slight, but again, that 4GB will be a bottleneck

Broadwell and sky lake are staying at 4 cores on mainstream.

Ok

Did anyone else feel a drop in air density as JJ started inhaling to prep for the marketing? 

Why would he need to do that?

The way M.2 is out on motherboards you are limited to shorter PCB's which limits capacity to a degree. PCI-E drives are better because many of them have a RAId card on them and run some form of RAId such as RAID 0 or 10, allowing them to achieve insane performance numbers upwards of 2GB/s The PCI-E cards that act as pass throughs do suck, I will agree. Also, adding a m.2 slot on the motherboard limits the space for other things on the board. I'll stick with my 840 EVO.

Even though the Crucial MX 100 is cheaper and faster? Also, M.2 controllers just have to get better. When performance demands and density demands cross we will see faster M.2. There's nothing you remove by incorporating M.2. Still I wish we could dump SATA Ports altogether and put everything on the PCIe bus. It's a much more efficient protocol and the royalties for it are cheaper. Micro PCI connectors right where the SATA ones used to be, with wired connections of course.

As for PSU, I recycle my old ones until they die. PC Power & Cooling server-grade PSUs take decades to die.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why would he need to do that?

He can speak for days on end about a motherboards features without even slightly slowing down to take a breath xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Even though the Crucial MX 100 is cheaper and faster? Also, M.2 controllers just have to get better. When performance demands and density demands cross we will see faster M.2. There's nothing you remove by incorporating M.2. Still I wish we could dump SATA Ports altogether and put everything on the PCIe bus. It's a much more efficient protocol and the royalties for it are cheaper. Micro PCI connectors right where the SATA ones used to be, with wired connections of course.

Agreed, but right now I just don't think M.2 is worth it for the reasons I stated earlier. If M.2 is going to take up PCI-E lanes then mainstream chips better get more lanes to work with, otherwise the people wanting to run SLI and Crossfire won't be too happy. Also I would like M.2 drives to have black pcb's, otherwise they are an eye soar.

As for PSU, I recycle my old ones until they die. PC Power & Cooling server-grade PSUs take decades to die.

What PSU do you use?

He can speak for days on end about a motherboards features without even slightly slowing down to take a breath xD

He probably knows how to circular breathe. 

He probably knows how to circular breathe. 

I was joking...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Hahahahaha, your funny.

Seriously, all black boards are the best. It makes life easy when you want to do a build with a specific color scheme because they go with anything and don't stand out.

A few years ago it was like this:

Asus - Red

Gigabyte - Green, Orange, other weird colors

MSi - Blue

Asrock - Yellow, Silver, other weird colors

Okay! Looks like I'll buy an MSi board for my blue/black themed system!

Then it turned into this garbage:

Asus - Red and bright freaking Gold

Gigabyte - Red

MSi - Red, and some Yellow

Asrock - mothaf***ing rainbow (but they kind of suck so who cares about asrock)

Ohh you want a high end board that is <insert color other than "Gaming Red">, well too bad, because we only make red!

Dammit, all I want is a blue/black board.

Gigabyte still make orange boards. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Agreed, but right now I just don't think M.2 is worth it for the reasons I stated earlier. If M.2 is going to take up PCI-E lanes then mainstream chips better get more lanes to work with, otherwise the people wanting to run SLI and Crossfire won't be too happy. Also I would like M.2 drives to have black pcb's, otherwise they are an eye soar.

What PSU do you use?

A 2005 PC Power & Cooling 1250. Still no voltage degradation on any rail.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hawt!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

4GB of RAM on a X99 platform???? What the hell are you smoking? 4GB is never acceptable, especially when you have a CPU catered to professional work. Besides, I don't even think they are making 4GB kits for DDR4. On top of that a 5820k won't provide any real benefit over the 4790k other than giving you more PCI-E lanes to work with, and will be outperformed by next years flagship LGA1150 chip (it always happens). The 5820k and all is predecessors are for people who need something cheap, but also need to utilize a million PCI-E lanes, it provides almost no performance gain over an equally priced LGA1150/1155 chip. This was true with the 3820k and the 4820k

That may have been true with the 3820k and the 4820k, but isn't the 5820k a six core?  I think it's worth it over the 4790k if you're rendering and such.

That may have been true with the 3820k and the 4820k, but isn't the 5820k a six core?  I think it's worth it over the 4790k if you're rendering and such.

Most things take advantage of CUDA

Most things take advantage of CUDA

Because as a programming language it's far easier to work in than OpenCL (at least until we see what Mantle has done).

Because as a programming language it's far easier to work in than OpenCL (at least until we see what Mantle has done).

I don't care for OpenGL/OpenCL or any other "open/free" amd crap. CUDA has shown to be faster in professional applications time and time again. Plus OpenGL can't even compete with DX12 in terms of graphical prowess (look at the opengl version of Metro: Last Light)

We need more workstation grade motherboards available for consumers. Almost every enthusiast does rendering or mining these days. People should be more interested in server and workstation stuff, or at-least for more knowledge.

I don't care for OpenGL/OpenCL or any other "open/free" amd crap. CUDA has shown to be faster in professional applications time and time again. Plus OpenGL can't even compete with DX12 in terms of graphical prowess (look at the opengl version of Metro: Last Light)

DX 12 is a set of proprietary libraries which link in with OpenGL... Also, DX 11 was such a pain very few game makers moved up from 9 or 10. Hopefully 12 fixes that.

Looks much better but then their other boards but the MSI x99S Plus SLI is the best looking one. It's all black.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

should have ditched the fancy audio and put an m.2 slot there as well.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I'll say it again, for 500$ Supermicro gives you real LSI raid and dual Intel 10Gbit ethernet. This board is a cash grab.

Microcenter, Newegg, and Amazon still do not have this listed as available. :/

Microcenter, Newegg, and Amazon still do not have this listed as available. :/

It's a Newegg Business exclusive.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-13-132-263

Creative Build Name Here

i7 3930K | Rampage IV Extreme | NH-U14S | GTX 680 x2 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Coolermaster 1000W | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Western Digital Black 2TB x2 | 12GB RAM Disk | HE-500 Headphones

All in the Fractal Design Define XL R2

should have ditched the fancy audio and put an m.2 slot there as well.

There is one, lower right side of the board clearly labeled M.2 x4

Nice! the Quad-Sli is sweet! Any diea when it will be avalibal on newegg or Amazon?

If God exists, you'll want to know Him

If God is Christ, He died so that you could. (Romans 5:6-11)