a bad PSU can affect the perfomance of a pc?

Joadc

so, i have always had problem with my pc since i bought a HD 7770, the problems were always fps issues, i can start a game playing at 100fps and randomly dropping to 20 fps, even if i didnt even move in game, i have always though that the problem is the HD 7770 since the first one i get was defective and i needed to get a replacement, so i was always thinking that i have bad luck (wich is kind of true because anything related to PC ends wrong in my hands, like really im bad luck bryan of pc). the problem comes now, this sound stupid but i downloaded pokemon like 3 weeks ago and started playing in an emulator, and for my luck playing at 400% speed in the emulator it started randomly going down to 100% speed (wich i dont like even if its the original speed) i didnt even give a shit about it because this is a normal think for me playing any game.

3 days ago my PSU just died, i take out my grapich card and installed a generic PSU wich cost me like 10 bucks, im not using any GPU, and because im really boring i started playing pokemon again (wich i stopped playing after a few days) now it happens that im not having any speed issues with the emulator, the speed is always at 400% and no dropdowns wich makes me though, maybe the PSU was the problem all the time? and the GPU is fine?

i dont know much about this kind of stuff, and this can be a really stupid question but i really want to know if this can happen.

im sorry if there is any grammatic error in the post since english is not my first language.

A $10 PSU? WTF?

Pray that your computer doesn't go up in flames.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

whats was the original PSU that you have used?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

NEVER NEVER EVER USE OR BUY A GENERIC PSU! IT WILL EFFECT PERFORMANCE AND MAY ALSO DAMAGE YOU INTERNAL COMPONENTS!!!!!!

BUY A CHEAP ONE FROM CORSAIR OR EVGA!

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Oh god, please tell me you haven't used that PSU for more than a day. I had a 10 dollar PSU go up in flames then explode shortly after.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Take a picture of the side of this psu showing it's specs and possibly the brand.  I would just love to know the psu you are using.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

A bad PSU can cause your PC to just sit there and do absolutely nothing! (Kill it)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

A $10 PSU? WTF?

Completely off topic, but your profile pic is awesome

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

post-88470-0-56547600-1409024235.gif

By using a bad PSU, this is what you are doing to your computer

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Infinite_facepalm.gif

GET THAT PSU OUT OF THERE

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

A majority of the time a bad piece of shit PSU will work perfectly fine and you'll be happy ever after. If it works, you won't hear about it, and generally it won't hurt your performance. In some rare cases, a defective PSU will lead to freezing and shutdowns. Most of the time, a defective piece of shit PSU will stop working, sometimes it'll fry the computer's components. And crap PSUs fail significantly more than decent ones... 

People say don't use bad PSUs and they're mostly right. Only use crap PSUs in crap PCs, and only if you have to... People on tech forums are disproportionately harsh on crap PSUs though.

It can. If the psu was going bad or was just bad to begin with it would be giving under and over voltages to components. A gpu is one of the heavier draws and would show problems fast. Make sure you get a high quality unit, don't try and repair the broken one. And do this soon. As you can see, nobody is very impressed with the temporary replacement.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

angry-computer-fire-gif-hahahahahahahahahahahaha-Favim.com-371896.gif

lmfao this is probably @Askew when he sees a meme being misused.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

A $10 PSU? WTF?

A generic PSU is more the problem.

It could kill your parts on a whim.

NEVER NEVER EVER USE OR BUY A GENERIC PSU! IT WILL EFFECT PERFORMANCE AND MAY ALSO DAMAGE YOU INTERNAL COMPONENTS!!!!!!

Oh god, please tell me you haven't used that PSU for more than a day. I had a 10 dollar PSU go up in flames then explode shortly after.

A bad PSU can cause your PC to just sit there and do absolutely nothing! (Kill it)

I have a $20 "generic" 400W PSU that's been powering an Athlon X2 and a 512MB 8800GTS for 8 years without a hitch. 

A generic PSU will not be guaranteed to blow up. If you're lucky, it'll actually last quite a while.

"Rawr XD"

so, i have always had problem with my pc since i bought a HD 7770, the problems were always fps issues, i can start a game playing at 100fps and randomly dropping to 20 fps, even if i didnt even move in game, i have always though that the problem is the HD 7770 since the first one i get was defective and i needed to get a replacement, so i was always thinking that i have bad luck (wich is kind of true because anything related to PC ends wrong in my hands, like really im bad luck bryan of pc). the problem comes now, this sound stupid but i downloaded pokemon like 3 weeks ago and started playing in an emulator, and for my luck playing at 400% speed in the emulator it started randomly going down to 100% speed (wich i dont like even if its the original speed) i didnt even give a shit about it because this is a normal think for me playing any game.

3 days ago my PSU just died, i take out my grapich card and installed a generic PSU wich cost me like 10 bucks, im not using any GPU, and because im really boring i started playing pokemon again (wich i stopped playing after a few days) now it happens that im not having any speed issues with the emulator, the speed is always at 400% and no dropdowns wich makes me though, maybe the PSU was the problem all the time? and the GPU is fine?

i dont know much about this kind of stuff, and this can be a really stupid question but i really want to know if this can happen.

im sorry if there is any grammatic error in the post since english is not my first language.

A $10 PSU? WTF?

whats was the original PSU that you have used?

A generic PSU is more the problem.

It could kill your parts on a whim.

Take a picture of the side of this psu showing it's specs and possibly the brand.  I would just love to know wth you are using?

Completely off topic, but your profile pic is awesome

attachicon.gifangry-computer-fire-gif-hahahahahahahahahahahaha-Favim.com-371896.gif

Infinite_facepalm.gif

GET THAT PSU OUT OF THERE

A majority of the time a bad piece of shit PSU will work perfectly fine and you'll be happy ever after. If it works, you won't hear about it, and generally it won't hurt your performance. In some rare cases, a defective PSU will lead to freezing and shutdowns. Most of the time, a defective piece of shit PSU will stop working, sometimes it'll fry the computer's components. And crap PSUs fail significantly more than decent ones... 

People say don't use bad PSUs and they're mostly right. Only use crap PSUs in crap PCs, and only if you have to... People on tech forums are disproportionately harsh on crap PSUs though.

It can. If the psu was going bad or was just bad to begin with it would be giving under and over voltages to components. A gpu is one of the heavier draws and would show problems fast. Make sure you get a high quality unit, don't try and repair the broken one. And do this soon. As you can see, nobody is very impressed with the temporary replacement.

lmfao this is probably @Askew when he sees a meme being misused.

I have a $20 "generic" 400W PSU that's been powering an Athlon X2 and a 512MB 8800GTS for 8 years without a hitch. 

A generic PSU will not be guaranteed to blow up. If you're lucky, it'll actually last quite a while.

I only did this to outdo Aniallation's ridiculous quote length.

GOML

hence the "If you're lucky"

Nothing to see here, move along

hence the "If you're lucky"

I had 3 generic PSUs blow up in my face.

I only did this to outdo Aniallation's ridiculous quote length.

GOML

At least my post fits as a whole on a 1080p screen lol

"Rawr XD"

If you're lucky.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

Sorry, I beg to differ. Ever heard of a Gutless Wonder? No? Well, not to worry, good ol' OklahomaWolf @ Jonnyguru has got you covered.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=335

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=154

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=123

You might be thinking, oh, but a Coolmax PSU with Gold certification can't be all that bad? Or 'I have an Apevia PSU; it's got 80+ Bronze certification, LED lighting, sleeved cables...truly it can't be a Gutless Wonder?'. There is more to a PSU than what can be seen on the outside. In fact, way too much to explain here.

Anyways, with that out of the way, I do agree with you that people can be inappropriately harsh in criticizing certain budget PSUs. These units include EVGA's 500B/600B/430 and Corsair's CX/CXM series. True, these PSUs from CWT and other lesser known OEMs are nowhere near what Seasonic's KM3/XP3 platforms can achieve. The words "high quality" and "CX500M" shouldn't be found in the same sentence. However, they belong to different segments of the market. The CX500M is also greatly more reliable and safe than the mentioned Coolmax/Apevia/Sunbeam PSUs, even though it is a budget unit.

However, with wattage requirements, it's still better to opt for a higher quality unit. For example, given the choice between a G Series 750W and a CX750M, disregarding price, choosing the former should be a no-brainer. Even though the CX750M is no Apevia, it is a cheaper design that is less capable in the voltage regulation and efficiency categories, and uses inferior-quality caps. So in a high-wattage rig where a 750W PSU is recommended without taking into account cap aging or future upgrades, the CX750M might run into problems whereas the G Series might still be chugging along fine 4 years down the road.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of what you said.

hence the "if you're lucky"

Nothing to see here, move along

I've also had a generic 500w break and I smelled a burning smell and Grinding noise. Never again..

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Generic PSUs are big mistakes, the amount of money I have lost to cheap PSUs is so embarrassing I will not bring it up. DON'T USE THEM.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.