what are some good pc games that are free

Planetside 2 is meant to be good, it's on Steam F2P. Though apparently you need a good rig to run it smoothly.

Arctic Combat is also pretty good for an occasional fps shooter, again on Steam F2P.

There about the only games I know about that are free :)

Check Steam's F2P section, you will find a good variety there.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Yea, i played combat arms for long time. It has some nice modes, but if you dont play with friends cooperatively and stuff, it can be frustrating ( hackers, teamkillers, ... ). I recommend taking a look at other-newer FPS F2P titles.

Also there are some awesome indie games out there. Last I played was Aurora Wager and Volo airsport. Fun games :)

Also, on steam you get free games, on origin you get (old, no mods) battlefield 1942

F2P mmorpgs Fun to try, explore with friends, but not to play constantly. Tonns of them are free... 

But there are also some steal deals on steam. Sales are just ridiculus. $3 for a fully supported game ( Killing Floor ). Its $15

usually, but sometimes there are sales. 

Portal is a must-to-play game seriously. 

Tribes ascend

Tera

Hawken

You can also have dota 2 for free, there is so much gift keys around here

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Tribes Ascend

Planetside 2

Team fortress 2

Left4dead 1/2

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

World of tanks

Tribes ascend

Blacklight: Retribution

Team fortress 2

Just a few that i play :)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Dota 2
Planetside 2
Team Fortress 2

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Cry of Fear is interesting

The free to play games that I frequently play and would highly reccomend are Path of Exile, Warframe, and Vindictus. Path of exile is a diablo type game except that it has a really cool way of doing it's market in that you trade scrolls and other rare gems rather than there being a concrete currency. I think it's really awesome and unique, plus it's not pay to win in any way, the only things that you can buy with money is cosmetic items.

Warframe is a really awesome third person shooter with power mechanics that differentiate between the different "warframes" aka playable characters. It does have a little bit of a pay to win business model to it in that you can buy guns or warframes with platinum, but if you just play the game naturally you shouldn't have alot of trouble getting decent gear.

Vindictus is kind of a mixed bag imo. The game itself is amazing, it has the most unique and fun combat system out of ANY mmo out there. It's a combat system where you have to actively dodge and use your weapon combos in order to do damage. The only characters that have "abilities" like in traditional mmos are evie and kai, but is in no way like other mmos where you spam 3 to do damage. The other characters don't have these abilities at all and only use there weapons that have varying combos based on how you use the mouse. It's probably best to look up a gameplay video of it to see what I'm talking about. The bad thing about vindictus is that the NA version is kind of laggy/bad at time. The servers aren't the best, but despite that I have over 450 hours logged on it, so it's not that bad once you get used to it. Plus if you play solo (which is easy for a while) then you don't even have to deal with it.

Those are the 3 free to play games that I play frequently enough and could easily reccomend to someone that enjoys gaming in general. Since they are free they are at least worth giving a try.

Anyone tried AION, was a bit addicted a while ago to that.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Arma 2 free is not that bad, however the graphics are pretty bad...

I`m playing BF P4F and is great, but i play with friends now after was boring. blaclight is good if you dont have any problem with driver or something!!

Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 are both pretty good.

The wonder is, not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it. - Anatole France

League of Legends

Hawken (Mech FPS)

Path of Exile (dungeon crawler)

Neverwinther (MMO)

World of Tanks (FPS)

Well, never played World of Tanks but it's there.  :)