880 or 780 ti ?

Santho

I'm going to build a new gaming pc very soon but i'm just wondering if i should buy the 780 ti or wait for the 880? will the 880 even be better than the 780 ti performance wise?

Thx in advance

Depends. What card are you running now? If you can get by, you can wait. Though 2015 is still a fair ways away.

I'd personally wait but it all comes down to how badly you want a GPU.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

what about 290/x?

Because the 780 ti is better.

That's not the point.

Why would he want a worse card?

I was wondering if he'd looked at other solutions out there that are cheaper and offer most of the performance that the 780ti does. 

290X is ~$200 cheaper and is 5-10% slower. Go figure.

Get the EVGA 780ti now and when the 880 is out use the EVGA step-up program to get the 880.

this ^^

the 880 is poised to be a side-grade for performance at best by all indications, by going the EVGA route, you get to have your cake and eat it too.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Because the 780 ti is better.

and cooler, although more expensive.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

That's like telling someone with a $400 budget to buy a 780 Ti BECAUSE WHY WOULD HE WANT WORSE?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

this ^^

the 880 is poised to be a side-grade for performance at best by all indications, by going the EVGA route, you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Get the EVGA 780ti now and when the 880 is out use the EVGA step-up program to get the 880.

The step-up program only works if you do it within 14 days after you buy the 780 ti (or 90 days if you get a lifetime warranty) and we don't know when the GTX 880 comes out.

Case: Silverstone TJ07 CPU: i5 3570K Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Dominator Platinum 8GB GPU: SLI GTX 970 G1 Storage256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 3TB WD Green PSU: Corsair RM850 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Cooling: Water cooling with acrylic tubes HeadphonesPhilips Fidelio X2 DAC: Schiit Modi Amp: Schiit Vali

A Titan Z is better than both a 780 Ti and a R9 290X, let's completely ignore that the cost of one is the same cost of a decent entire new rig. :P

The step-up program only works if you do it within 14 days after you buy the 780 ti (or 90 days if you get a lifetime warranty) and we don't know when the GTX 880 comes out.

Yea no, as long as you register the card within the first 14 days, you get a 90 day step up program. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Depends. What card are you running now? If you can get by, you can wait. Though 2015 is still a fair ways away.

Well now im runing Nvidia gtx 570 and a Intel Xeon W3550.. P: So i need a upgrade.

That's like telling someone with a $400 budget to buy a 780 Ti BECAUSE WHY WOULD HE WANT WORSE?

But he said he could get a 780 ti

But he said he could get a 780 ti

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You COULD stick your dick in a beehive filled with bees and furiously wriggle it about but that does not mean you should.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Well now im runing Nvidia gtx 570 and a Intel Xeon W3550.. P: So i need a upgrade.

I'm running on a 560 Ti, so... I need to upgrade as well, though your GPU is a smidge better than mine at least. :P

I'm waiting for whatever AMD or Nvidia releases new myself since I'm not really a hardcore gamer.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You COULD stick your dick in a beehive filled with bees and furiously wriggle it about but that does not mean you should.

THE MENTAL IMAGES

Guys! i did not make this thread to be Team red vs Team green

Guys! i did not make this thread to be Team red vs Team green

Not my intention. Some people just don't realize there's more to a GPU than how many FPS it can pull.

Not my intention. Some people just don't realize there's more to a GPU than how many FPS it can pull.

And i totally agree but i'm more comfortable with Nvidia's products and i have the money for the 780 Ti so why not ?

And i totally agree but i'm more comfortable with Nvidia's products and i have the money for the 780 Ti so why not ?

I'd still save the $200 myself but if you really want a 780ti and have the money then get it I guess.

Could I ask why you feel more comfortable with nvidia though?

And the award for weirdest comment of the day goes to, this one.

But seriously if it's in your budget why wouldn't you get one?