New World Record Haswell OC

Well, a Chinese OC'er, Chi-Kui Lam from Hong Kong, managed to get an i7-4770k up to 7.2GHz (technically 7193.8MHz). That's a huge 105% increase over stock, and 84% over what Intel's built in Turbo allows.

Of course, there are certain costs to reaching such a high frequency. These include using liquid nitrogen for cooling as well as a staggering core voltage of 2.048 V. The CPU's Hyperthreading also had to be disabled, along with two of its cores.

Far from practical, but that's freakin' insane. Also, that voltage scares me...

His system specs during OC:

• I7-4770k @ 7,193.8MHz
    • LN2 cooling
    • 2.048V 
  • GeForce GT 630 DDR3 HOF
    • Stock clocks of 810MHz/910MHz
  • Z97 Chipset MB (not specified)
  • DDR3 RAM (not specified)
  • 256GB OCZ Vertex

Source Links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/haswell-overclocking-hwbot-4770k,27485.html

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=14096&cpu=Core%20i7-4770K%204-Core%203.5GHz&title=Chi-Kui%20Lam%20Sets%20Haswell%20Overclocking%20World%20Record%20At%207193.8%20MHz

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Overclocker-Pushes-Intel-Haswell-Core-i7-4770K-CPU-Beyond-7GHz

http://elitegamingcomputers.com/chi-kui-lam-hits-7ghz-sets-haswell-overclocking-record/

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

So it is basically a pentium with because it has 2 cores disabled and hyperthreading disabled then :P

But that is pretty sick

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Hory Sheet...2.048 volts...

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

So old. 

6 days since any post I could find, and I didn't see any on here... cut me some slack

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Well, a Chinese OC'er, Chi-Kui Lam from Hong Kong, managed to get an i7-4770k up to 7.2GHz (technically 7193.8MHz). That's a huge 205% increase over stock, and 184% over what Intel's built in Turbo allows.

You mean 105% and 84% right? : D 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

You mean 105% and 84% right? : D 

Yes... I thought my math was off. Pro tip... use a calculator, and not your brain...

7.2Ghz on two cores...so 14.4Ghz total vs. 28Ghz on 4 cores+HT. Oh, and don't forget about voltage and cooling.

Awesome world record, but to me, the fact that this "OC" actually hinders practicality, deters the "awesome"-ness factor.

If we can get 7.2Ghz with only HT disabled, then that would be sweet, but we would need to cherry pick some high end chips.

7.2Ghz on two cores...so 14.4Ghz total vs. 28Ghz on 4 cores+HT. Oh, and don't forget about voltage and cooling.

Awesome world record, but to me, the fact that this "OC" actually hinders practicality, deters the "awesome"-ness factor.

If we can get 7.2Ghz with only HT disabled, then that would be sweet, but we would need to cherry pick some high end chips.

I wish I knew like... anything about OC'ing, and to know why HT would have to be turned off. I imagine it's just unstable, same with having to turn off the other cores. Regardless, even understanding why those had to be switched off, that voltage can burn in the pits of hell.

So... as fast a standard non overclocked 4770 with 4 cores and hyperthreading?

Not in singlethreaded and low-multithreaded applications.

144Hz goodness

So it is basically a pentium with 2 cores disabled and hyperthreading disabled then :P

But that is pretty sick

They should've just used the Pentium G3258 :D

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Except this one probably is a better overclocker for some reason

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

binning ;) pentiums are inherently low quality parts

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Kind of cool, except it brings up the question... What kind of sorcery, power supply and awesome cooling does it take to get a CPU to 2.0329234233449234498324892398234892348432984923 (can't remember the exact number ) volts?

Kind of cool, except it brings up the question... What kind of sorcery, power supply and awesome cooling does it take to get a CPU to 2.0329234233449234498324892398234892348432984923 (can't remember the exact number ) volts?

lots of soldering and a powerful 12v rail

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

PSU: High Current Pro 1300W (According to Google that's this: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706571&fid=357&lan=uk)

Cooling: LN2

AMD overclockers based in Finland managed to overclock an FX 8 core (unspecificed) to 8.720Ghz on all cores during the AMD 30 years celebration live event setting a new world record and besting their previous world record by 300mhz.

still mostly not comparable to the i7 :P

AMD overclockers based in Finland managed to overclock an FX 8 core (unspecificed) to 8.720Ghz on all cores during the AMD 30 years celebration live event setting a new world record and besting their previous world record by 300mhz.

That's also on an AMD chip, which tend to 1) start with high clocks, and 2) from my limited knowledge overclock further in general

That's also on an AMD chip, which tend to 1) start with high clocks, and 2) from my limited knowledge overclock further in general

yes amd uses a process that has transistors that like high clocks. intel uses trigate finfet, which isnt known to clock high

yes amd uses a process that has transistors that like high clocks. intel uses trigate finfet, which isnt known to clock high

Ah. I know virtually nothing about OC'ing. I should probably lurk around OC forums to learn, but seeing as I don't own a desktop, I don't see the point atm.

What caught my eye is "GT 630 HOF"?!?!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Ah. I know virtually nothing about OC'ing. I should probably lurk around OC forums to learn, but seeing as I don't own a desktop, I don't see the point atm.

this isnt something that most OC people know the reason for, i do because i study physics and am interested in computational lytography :P 

BUT FOR GODS SAKE I CANT REMEMBER WHAT PROCESS AMD USES :( 

That's true however it's down to the microarchitecture itself as well not only the manufacturing process.

Sandy Bridge chips were manufactured using a 32nm HKMG process very similar to AMD's own 32nm HKMG process which is still used today to manufacture the FX chips.

However Sandy Bridge's highest record overclock was just 6Ghz & 7.2Ghz with the i7 980X "Gulftown" manufactured on the same 32nm process.