New World Record Haswell OC

That's true however it's down to the microarchitecture itself as well not only the manufacturing process.

Sandy Bridge chips were manufactured using a 32nm HKMG process very similar to AMD's own 32nm HKMG process which is still used today to manufacture the FX chips.

However Sandy Bridge's highest record overclock was just 6Ghz & 7.2Ghz with the i7 980X "Gulftown" manufactured on the same 32nm process.

its also down to the node sizes as well as types of transistors. architectural details have little to do with it. if we manufactured a gulftown on the haswells 22nm trigate finfet process, i can guarantee it would be harder to get high clocks out of it, but it would consume way less power

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

its also down to the node sizes as well as types of transistors. architectural details have little to do with it. if we manufactured a gulftown on the haswells 22nm trigate finfet process, i can guarantee it would be harder to get high clocks out of it, but it would consume way less power

AMD also uses FinFET's, just not Tri-gates. Tri-gates are technically FinFET's, but Intel doesn't want to associate them with FinFET's because they're 2 gates, not 3. (just based off some quick research) Even if this WR 4770k is slower than the WR 8-core FX, I'd still want the 4770k 'cause it's gonna use a lot less power comparatively.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Architectural details have a LOT to do with clocks the examples I've given already are sufficient to highlight that.

Gulftown/Sandy Bridge & Bulldozer/Piledriver were manufactured on the same process node class both in terms of lithography and masks but Bulldozer/Piledriver clocked higher.

You can see more examples of this with Jaguar & Steamroller, both manufactured on the same 28nm HKMG bulk process but Steamroller clocks twice as high at the same voltage.

Simply because the Steamroller architecture is aimed at a higher level of performance and was designed with high frequencies in mind.

Again, Intel's Pentium 4 "Netburst" architecture clocked significantly higher than all of their subsequent architectures even when you account for process improvements.

So it is basically a pentium with 2 cores disabled and hyperthreading disabled then :P

But that is pretty sick

Then that leaves the CPU with 0 cores and -2 threads.  :P

I think Intel needs to scrap HT and use actual cores, but that's just me rambling.

still mostly not comparable to the i7 :P

Actually the 8350 IN GAMING can beat the quad core I7 and the socket 2011 quad core...

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Actually the 8350 IN GAMING can beat the quad core I7 and the socket 2011 quad core...

not deserving my response since this is plain wrong, but. 

this is wrong completly. now the burden of proof is on you to prove your statement, otherwise it holds no weight. quote me with proof

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Then that leaves the CPU with 0 cores and -2 threads.  :P

grrrrrr, I am grammer good with ok

I will edit it to make more sense now :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

IS this not faster?

Yes, it's a faster clock, but it's also not a HASWELL chip, which is what this record is for. The technologies each side uses, and their manufacturing process and micro-architecture are completely different. Faster clocks don't mean everything.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

What caught my eye is "GT 630 HOF"?!?!

What caught my eye was them using a ddr3 gpu.

What caught my eye was them using a ddr3 gpu.

Meh, they must have some reason.

Meh, they must have some reason.

Lower power draw?

It displays.

Lower power consumption = more amps on the rail for the CPU.

Even then, there's lower draw cards than the GT630

Even then, there's lower draw cards than the GT630

true, most overclockers just use whatever they got lying about, look at hwbot and you'll find so many extreme oc submissions are done on low end cards / extremely old ones

true, most overclockers just use whatever they got lying about, look at hwbot and you'll find so many extreme oc submissions are done on low end cards / extremely old ones

One day I'll look up "famous" OC'ers and research how to OC, and the guidelines and such. It's something I'd like to learn, but being on a laptop, I don't think I can OC it, lol.

One day I'll look up "famous" OC'ers and research how to OC, and the guidelines and such. It's something I'd like to learn, but being on a laptop, I don't think I can OC it, lol.

Probably not.

I know some older ones could be overclocked by the PLL.

Probably not.

I know some older ones could be overclocked by the PLL.

I did that with my old E5300 with a DG35EC at one point because it didn't have any options from the motherboard. :P Crashed at 2.9 (Stock 2.6) though ='(

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I found out there's an Intel Xtreme Tuer which can apparently OC a 4700-MQ, I'm just... afraid to tweak any of it.

While this is nice, I'd like to know how it can overclock with all cores and HT enabled

heres how i feel about this. congrats on getting the frequency that high. BUT this should not count as the CPU is essentially not fully operational. to me setting the highest OC record should be an unaltered CPU. all cores active, HT enabled, then push it. bin it all you want, but the CPU should not have any features or cores disabled.

heres how i feel about this. congrats on getting the frequency that high. BUT this should not count as the CPU is essentially not fully operational. to me setting the highest OC record should be an unaltered CPU. all cores active, HT enabled, then push it. bin it all you want, but the CPU should not have any features or cores disabled.

The AM FX-8350 (8 core) that holds the current world record, only had 2 cores running, out of 8. It's simply a requirement when you're trying to pump that much voltage through a CPU, and hit those kinds of clock speeds.

The AM FX-8350 (8 core) that holds the current world record, only had 2 cores running, out of 8. It's simply a requirement when you're trying to pump that much voltage through a CPU, and hit those kinds of clock speeds.

Maybe that's the case, but I still want to see how far someone can overclock a CPU on LN2 with all cores and hyperthreading enabled

Maybe that's the case, but I still want to see how far someone can overclock a CPU on LN2 with all cores and hyperthreading enabled

I have a feeling no where close to that, but as I've stated many times in this thread, I don't know overclocking, so I could be incredibly off base.