Influx of fake GPUs into US Market. Why is this a thing? (Bootleg GPUs & eBay Scamming)

I was recently looking for a new gpu since I am running a barebones GTX 660. I was going through my options when I stumbled upon a perplexing result under the GTX 780 search.  I was aware that there were a lot of scams going around on ebay but this just took the ridiculousness to a whole new level. Why in the world would someone buy this? It is literally a green PCB off of what looks like an OEM entry level card from 2007 with a poorly made heatsink with cheap paper stickers placed on the fans. I never really thought of a bootleg graphics card market so coming across this listing really showed me a whole new slew of ways somebody can scam you. What is keeping somebody from placing a 780 heatsink on a 680 etc.. I think this listing should show you guys that if you see something too good to be true on eBay... IT IS! So please be wary about what you buy and if you have any concerns the forum community is more than willing to help out.

9751b88e9b05338067bb1e2e9892a88b.png

System- CPU: i5 3570k MB: Asrock Extreme3 Z77 RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mHz GPU: EVGA SC GTX 660 Case: NZXT Tempest 210 Storage: Intel 730 Seriese SSD, WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0 PSU: 800W Seasonic PSU Displays: Asus VE248H---x2 Cooling: CM Hyper 212+ KB: Daskeyboard Professional 2012 Blue Switch Mouse: Original Razer Deathadder

•  

lol single slot,single 6 pin and it has vga.....................

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Why? because people are scum

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

lol single slot,single 6 pin and it has vga.....................

It's like 1 1/2 slot...... it makes literally 0 sense.

System- CPU: i5 3570k MB: Asrock Extreme3 Z77 RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mHz GPU: EVGA SC GTX 660 Case: NZXT Tempest 210 Storage: Intel 730 Seriese SSD, WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0 PSU: 800W Seasonic PSU Displays: Asus VE248H---x2 Cooling: CM Hyper 212+ KB: Daskeyboard Professional 2012 Blue Switch Mouse: Original Razer Deathadder

•  

Because money...

And they think that the buyers are stupid enough to not see outright fakes...

because people are stupid enough to buy

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Because money...

And they think that the buyers are stupid enough to not see outright fakes...

You've no idea how retarded people are on the web when it come's to being scammed lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Model: smiliar with GTX780

Would it really be a bootleg item without broken english.

•  

I took a good look at the pictures...

Some of the pins are connected to a neighboring pin only...

Would it really be a bootleg item without broken english.

but what does similar to gtx 780 mean? 

but more importantly 45 PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

but more importantly 45 PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

No matter what it is, there is always someone with more money than brains.

•  

Hopefully at least one of them bought it for testing and teardown...

Hopefully at least one of them bought it for testing and teardown...

I would be too scared to plug this monstrosity into a motherboard.

•  

I don't believe its a scam. If you read the description the spec is low (Or a bit jumbled information wise). The title could simply be a spelling error intended for another product.

Also the seller has over 33000 feedback and has over 1600 listings so obviously its only a title mistake.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

a lot of times sellers buy there own shit to raise that number

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

a lot of times sellers buy there own shit to raise that number

so...they buy it to...put it back into the pool of available items?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I don't believe its a scam. If you read the description the spec is low. The title could simply be a spelling error intended for another product.

Also the seller has over 33000 feedback and has over 1600 listings so obviously its only a title mistake. Seriously all these comments above this and not one person thought to read the spec?

You don't understand... This seller is selling countless numbers of things such as wall adapters and dell oem keyboards to gain feedback. Then they use the GTX 780 name but put a "similar" before it in all lowercase. Some unsuspecting child could ask there mother for this and be met with a shorted out computer. This seller is trying to make money with Nvidia's product name. 

Edit: Not to mention Nvidia branding placed on the Fans.

•  

I wonder how they perform in comparison to the real GPU's.

I doubt a pc would even post with this thing installed.

•  

Probably, but if it did it would be interesting.

I do have a throwaway Mobo so i might be uploading a build log if i feel like i have deep pockets.

•  

Why is this a thing

Scamming

You answered your own question.

I do have a throwaway Mobo so i might be uploading a build log if i feel like i have deep pockets.

Someone needs to write about this... I did a google search and there's no 'official' news other than people asking if this is real...

You answered your own question.

The title was a reference to the lack of effort put into the fake.... it is not even close to resemblance of a real 780.

•