HTC M8 with Windows Phone listed with double the battery life of the Android version

nicolas_as

I'd believe that based on my experience with Android devices. As soon as I load them up with my usual apps battery life takes a crap. This gen is better (M8 noticeably better than M7) but idle power on "daily driver" Android devices is rubbish.

That's a bit off double, but yeah. Very nice. Android isn't exactly good on battery. I am lucky if my Shield lives for a day.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'd believe that based on my experience with Android devices. As soon as I load them up with my usual apps battery life takes a crap. This gen is better (M8 noticeably better than M7) but idle power on "daily driver" Android devices is rubbish.

Is the battery life as advertised? How has it held up? I am planning on getting one in a couple of days and would like to know.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Im thinking about a windows phone, and the m8 is a nice one...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Interesting. Might consider this.

Before people bash the windows phone, I got the darkness 2 by telling the joke "I have a windows 8 phone and I actually like it" in a game key giveaway here on LTT. So that's one perk of owning it lol. Also I have to say, I drop mine three times a day and the screen is still perfect. I just wish they would do away with the obnoxious bing button. Honestly, who uses bing?!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I hope the idle power fixes they promised for L will improve battery on android. I simply can't switch from android now. Way to invested in it.

I'd definitely get the M8 if it had windows. I hate android.

Linus has spoken on a post :), /\

I really can't believe in that 21h advertisement, I have one Samsung Ativ S and I just bought a Lumia 930 and both just get me thought the day, both are on WP 8.1

Before people bash the windows phone, I got the darkness 2 by telling the joke "I have a windows 8 phone and I actually like it" in a game key giveaway here on LTT. So that's one perk of owning it lol. Also I have to say, I drop mine three times a day and the screen is still perfect. I just wish they would do away with the obnoxious bing button. Honestly, who uses bing?!

Im thinking about it too, but next gen.

When my Moto X is old, ill see what windows phones are their. I like it, infact, i have a windows 8 type homescreen on my moto x.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If you don't feel like waiting just enable Preview for developers and Cortana will take the place of Bing dedicated button!

Interesting, but not surprising. I've heard how well even the lowest end Lumia phones perform despite their mediocre (at best) specs, just goes to show how light WP actually is.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

That was the intention behind the M8 post

haha

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, why not just call it the W8? That would make things worlds easier.

Im thinking about it too, but next gen.

When my Moto X is old, ill see what windows phones are their. I like it, infact, i have a windows 8 type homescreen on my moto x.

Mind you, I only ever wanted to be able to send/receive calls and tects, get online with I.E., and listen to music (which to this phones credit, I was able to get the tool discography, jimmy hendrix discography, and a butchered [because reasons] pink floyd discography, as well as a bunch of other songs on it). To be honest, I could care less about apps an what not, other than a flashlight and unit coverter both of which I could get for free. I found the homepage tiles to be easily customizable. I just find it easier and less confusing to use than every android phone I have ever used, which have always just irritated/confused me, but only because it's been that "hey son, somethings wrong with my phone fix it" situation lol.

If you don't feel like waiting just enable Preview for developers and Cortana will take the place of Bing dedicated button!

I honestly don't do enough on my phone to need it, and I hate voice activation shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh shit I'm so excited about this! I saw Linus's post on facebook and then rushed to the news section to see if it had been posted about yet. Linus is doing a review! The M8 is such a great piece of hardware. I've love to see how it feels on the M8.

I WAS planning on trying to find a Nokia Lumia Icon on eBay *fucking Canada being so far behind in Windows Phone 8 devices*, but man I'm seriously going to consider this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I used to have battery problems on my Nexus 4. I installed Cyanogenmod, Hells Doctor kernel, switched the runtime from dalvik to ART (you can do that on Kitkat) and hibernated a ton of apps with Greenify. My battery life improved a lot and it lasts a full day (previously it wouldn't even last half a day).

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Oh shit I'm so excited about this! I saw Linus's post on facebook and then rushed to the news section to see if it had been posted about yet. Linus is doing a review! The M8 is such a great piece of hardware. I've love to see how it feels on the M8.

I WAS planning on trying to find a Nokia Lumia Icon on eBay *fucking Canada being so far behind in Windows Phone 8 devices*, but man I'm seriously going to consider this.

Dude you are in heaven and you don´t know it!
You feel that you are behind,i am in freaking Brazil,here things come years after the release and the cost is just unbelievable.
Even being one of the few places where Windows Phone has a great share of the market, Microsoft never mentioned when Cortana will be enabled here

that's really not that much of a surprise, i actually find amussing that with the L release google is starting to finally adress the battery issues, they should have fixed this when they started project butter, also @LinusTech well maybe this would be a good incentive to try WP again, considering how different is now compared to when you tried it 2 years ago

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

that's really not that much of a surprise, i actually find amussing that with the L release google is starting to finally adress the battery issues, they should have fixed this when they started project butter, also @LinusTech well maybe this would be a good incentive to try WP again, considering how different is now compared to when you tried it 2 years ago

Yep he will be doing a review of it!

https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech/posts/673053232791125

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yep he will be doing a review of it!

https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech/posts/673053232791125

just saw it on twitter after posting this, really looking foward to it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Mind you, I only ever wanted to be able to send/receive calls and tects, get online with I.E., and listen to music (which to this phones credit, I was able to get the tool discography, jimmy hendrix discography, and a butchered [because reasons] pink floyd discography, as well as a bunch of other songs on it). To be honest, I could care less about apps an what not, other than a flashlight and unit coverter both of which I could get for free. I found the homepage tiles to be easily customizable. I just find it easier and less confusing to use than every android phone I have ever used, which have always just irritated/confused me, but only because it's been that "hey son, somethings wrong with my phone fix it" situation lol.

I honestly don't do enough on my phone to need it, and I hate voice activation shit.

I dont really use apps either. I just use my browser with my LTT!

Realy, thats it.

I'll take this from the article as it is golden

No surprise, really, as Win Phone was written to be the new hotness in efficiency and able to do more with a lower power requirement chipset. WinPhone: New Hotness. Android: Old & busted.

Android is written with the "Fuck it, OEMs will have powerful hardware and large batteries so we shouldn't give a shit"

iOS and WP8 are written with "Yea, how about not doing that". Sure, iOS devices aren't ALWAYS hit on battery (iPhones seem to be pretty brutal at this) but their iPads? Holy balls. 

WP8 devices are the same story for me. I don't think there has been a day where my Lumia 920 didn't give me over a day of us. Even when I screw up and forget to charge, what do I care, the thing is pretty damn smart with how it uses juice.