OnePlus One vs Canon 5D Mark III Video Quality

mgsstar

Photo and video enthusiasts will promptly tell you there is no way a smartphone camera can ever match a DSLR camera (especially one like the Canon 5D Mark III, known to be one of the best DSLRs for video). This is mostly true, but what can we say when we witness this seemingly impossible task being realized?

Italian film director, screenwriter and producer Giacomo Mantovani put the OnePlus One up against the legendary Canon 5D Mark III. The results were stunning – intricate 4K video testing proved the Chinese smartphone can, in fact, beat the Canon 5D Mark III.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-one-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii-512758/

Its interesting to see a China phone beating the video quality of the expensive Mark III in daylight. But if they are to be tested in low light situations, the DSLR will be better due to its bigger sensor. The OnePlus One is a great phone to record videos during daylight but a DSLR is better in general as it offers more customizable settings in order to produce a better result.

EDIT: More tests here: http://giacomomantovani.com/blog/oneplusone

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-one-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii-512758/

Its interesting to see a China phone beating the video quality of the expensive Mark III in daylight. But if they are to be tested in low light situations, the DSLR will be better due to its bigger sensor. The OnePlus One is a great phone to record videos during daylight but a DSLR is better in general as it offers more customizable settings in order to produce a better result.

I find that statement rather distasteful. Just because a phone is made in a certain country does not immediately mean it'll be lower quality. Most of them use Sony made sensors.

It's impressive to see any phone accomplish that level of quality, regardless of origin.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well damn, that is just amazing!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I find that statement rather distasteful. Just because a phone is made in a certain country does not immediately mean it'll be lower quality. Most of them use Sony made sensors.

It's impressive to see any phone accomplish that level of quality, regardless of origin.

I don't particularly mind

I doubt they care either, this company seems completely masochistic.

(I assume you're defending China, however)

Error: 410

I have a feeling of bs. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Wow. I have been contemplating whether to buy something like a T3i to get started with digital video production.

I might just try first trying to get good shots with my iPhone 5S. It might not look like a point and shoot if I gain some experience.

Now if only OnePlus wasn't made of sexist idiots who don't knoe how to sell a phone.....

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

I don't know if this says how good the One Plus One is or how much Canon needs to catch up.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

The OnePlus One is a phone which I am very concerned about its longevity as they may have skimped on some components. Having this test just suggests that the phone is using a decent camera sensor and ifixit's disassembly supports the fact that it is a Sony sensor (P13N05A): https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus+One+Teardown/26484

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm not a camera guy by any stretch (I just take regular photos with my phone), but there is no way a phone camera lens, which is like .5 or .6 mm thick, OR THIN, can come close to an actual camera lens, which can capture way more light, the 5D Mark III also has 22MP so I don't know how, at 300% crop, 13MP photos look way sharper, this doesn't really look real to me.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I call BS.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Sweet.  Can I buy one please? Oh....

I'd like to know what lens they used on the 5D because until then they could've used a shitty and blurry one that gives worse results.

144Hz goodness

I'd like to know what lens they used on the 5D because until then they could've used a shitty and blurry one that gives worse results.

I thought the same thing.  I also thought, these are two completely different products, why are they being compared?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I thought the same thing. I also thought, these are two completely different products, why are they being compared?

Because it somehow makes sense, the 5D is what I consider to be the highest end consumer DSLR and the OPO uses a high end image-sensor.

Plus, there are many people (even semi-professional filmers) who consider using smartphones instead of expensive camera equipment because it's much cheaper and delivers good results when being bundled with something like a slider or a steadycam.

144Hz goodness

EDIT: More tests here: http://giacomomantovani.com/blog/oneplusone

Yep, very silly comment.

Canon - Japanese company

OPO - Chinese phone using a camera sensor made by a Japanese company running American software.

derp

Because it somehow makes sense, the 5D is what I consider to be the highest end consumer DSLR and the OPO uses a high end image-sensor.

Plus, there are many people (even semi-professional filmers) who consider using smartphones instead of expensive camera equipment because it's much cheaper and delivers good results when being bundled with something like a slider or a steadycam.

It makes no sense at all.. None..

I call BS.

DSLRs are simply not designed for video recording, with most only capable of 1080p @ 30Fps.. Where as the phone was designed to record at 2160p @ 30fps..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Can the 5D MK III shoot 4K video? I think it can only do 1080p. 

Also the sharpness of the 5DMK III in that video is just pathetic. Did he just put a chicken kit zoom on the 5D MK III? I want to see exif data of the video footage. A APSC camera with a decent prime will be a lot sharper and detailed. 

Very soon, we shall see someone claims the "whatever" camera phone lens will beat the Zeiss Otus. :)

Can the 5D MK III shoot 4K video? I think it can only do 1080p. 

Also the sharpness of the 5DMK III in that video is just pathetic. Did he just put a chicken kit zoom on the 5D MK III? I want to see exif data of the video footage. A APSC camera with a decent prime will be a lot sharper and detailed. 

Very soon, we shall see someone claims the "whatever" camera phone lens will beat the Zeiss Otus. :)

The 1+1 was recording at 2160p.. So its footage was down sampled, therefore looks crisper..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

The 1+1 was recording at 2160p.. So its footage was down sampled, therefore looks crisper..

I still think something is very fishy. Maybe the video footage of the 5D MK III was shot at 720p or even 480p instead of 1080p, who knows. 

Oh, I can say Pentium G3258 beats i7 4790k, if the Pentium is overclocked, while the i7 runs stock clock and only compares single thread performance.....selective comparison.

It makes no sense at all.. None..

DSLRs are simply not designed for video recording, with most only capable of 1080p @ 30Fps.. Where as the phone was designed to record at 2160p @ 30fps..

DSLRs might not be designed to record video, but they deliver constantly good results nonetheless. Meanwhile, a smartphone camera is just a pathetic excuse for a camera, especially if you compare the optics and sensor size. 

The example video is the absolute best case scenario for the 1+1, daylight outside, no moving objects. Why not compare shooting indoors or at night? The resulting video of the smartphone  would probably look ridiculous compared to the real camera. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

DSLRs might not be designed to record video, but they deliver constantly good results nonetheless. Meanwhile, a smartphone camera is just a pathetic excuse for a camera, especially if you compare the optics and sensor size. 

The example video is the absolute best case scenario for the 1+1, daylight outside, no moving objects. Why not compare shooting indoors or at night? The resulting video of the smartphone  would probably look ridiculous compared to the real camera. 

lol, what if the names were messed up. And the 1+1 was actually the 5d and the 5d was the 1+1.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

i dont care

why you may ask.....because you cant buy the 1+1......therefore pointless

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Wow. I have been contemplating whether to buy something like a T3i to get started with digital video production.

I might just try first trying to get good shots with my iPhone 5S. It might not look like a point and shoot if I gain some experience.

Now if only OnePlus wasn't made of sexist idiots who don't knoe how to sell a phone.....

Is going to be hard to gain experience from a camera that only has one button

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

lol, what if the names were messed up. And the 1+1 was actually the 5d and the 5d was the 1+1.

that is what I was thinking!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Of course the one plus one looks sharper

It is down sampling 4k video to 1080p on a smaller senser

The Canon recording 1080p is doing a lot of pixel binning in order to get its resolution down to 1080p HOWEVER

There is more to video than sharpness,  DSLRs give a better depth of field, more choices of lense, better audio recording facilities,more control over aperture/ISO etc

A high end DSLR will still make nicer and more professional looking videos than the one plus one

Also with some hacks the 5d mk3 can shoot in RAW video which looks great!!!!!!!

There are plenty of micro four thirds and DSLRs that can out shoot a one plus one even in 4k (A GH4 for example)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii