Choose Firefox Now, Or Later You Won't Get A Choice

Builder

I use Windows and OS X equally.

Ohh I have, in case you haven't noticed I make direct replies to every paragraph you make, you seems to generalize.

No you haven't.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No you haven't.

One small little piece of text I skimmed over. Still, if you use them equally you would know that iTunes doesn't perform to well on Windows and that Foobar2000 is a far superior media player.

I use Windows and OS X equally. So, coming from a guy that uses both, (Linux and BSD too but those are tertiary to this point) OS X is less locked in. I think it would serve you well to venture outside Windows land for awhile. It will broaden your horizons and perhaps you will lose many of the misconceptions you have on the subject.

One small little piece of text I skimmed over. Still, if you use them equally you would know that iTunes doesn't perform to well on Windows and that Foobar2000 is a far superior media player.

Actually, it was an entire paragraph, but whatever. I think you have a habit of tuning things out that you don't wish to read.

I don't have any issues with iTunes performance on Windows, though I do like Foobar2000 as well. iTunes integrates with my Apple products though, so it gets used more. I can't see the point in running my iTunes music through Foobar. It just seems like too much effort.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Actually, it was an entire paragraph, but whatever. I think you have a habit of tuning things out that you don't wish to read.

The rest of the paragraph (which I did elaborate on earlier) states that you think that OSX is less locked in... Excuse me? How is OSX locked in when you need to buy a Mac to use it, or you need to download a OSX install from a non-Apple site then make sure that all the hardware you choose has driver support for OSX, most of which is custom drivers made by the community. You then go on and say that I should try a non-Windows OS, which as I stated before, my hardware will not allow me to use OSX properly because of piss poor driver support and I can't use Linux because then I wouldn't have all the applications I need to get my work done. I have used both OSX and Linux before, they are nice but lack of app support for one and lack of availability for the other makes me turn to windows most of the time.

I don't have any issues with iTunes performance on Windows, though I do like Foobar2000 as well. iTunes integrates with my Apple products though, so it gets used more. I can't see the point in running my iTunes music through Foobar. It just seems like too much effort.

Yet most other people do have those problems. I experience them all the time, well I use to, then I installed Foobar2000 and forgot about iTunes. Also Importing my FLAC music that I ripped from my CD's is much easier to import to Foobar, because I can tell Foobar what directories to grab music from and it does it automatically. With iTunes the music has to be in a certain format and I have to drag stuff into iTunes to import it. to me importing my whole Library to iTunes seems like a waste of time when it is seamless to do with Foobar2000.

The rest of the paragraph (which I did elaborate on earlier) states that you think that OSX is less locked in... Excuse me? How is OSX locked in when you need to buy a Mac to use it, or you need to download a OSX install from a non-Apple site then make sure that all the hardware you choose has driver support for OSX, most of which is custom drivers made by the community. You then go on and say that I should try a non-Windows OS, which as I stated before, my hardware will not allow me to use OSX properly because of piss poor driver support and I can't use Linux because then I wouldn't have all the applications I need to get my work done. I have used both OSX and Linus before, they are nice but lack of app support for one and lack of availability for the other makes me turn to windows most of the time.

Yet most other people do have those problems. I experience them all the time, well I use to, then I installed Foobar2000 and forgot about iTunes. Also Importing my FLAC music that I ripped from my CD's is much easier to import to Foobar, because I can tell Foobar what directories to grab music from and it does it automatically. With iTunes the music has to be in a certain format and I have to drag stuff into iTunes to import it. to me importing my whole Library to iTunes seems like a waste of time when it is seamless to do with Foobar2000.

You don't understand what lock-in is if you think Windows is less locked in. You really mean lack of game support too, because there aren't a lot of apps that don't have OS X and Linux alternatives.

OS X is around 85% open source. If you really wanted to run it on another platform, there's PureDarwin, or you can use FreeBSD, from which OS X derives many parts. You could even compile it from source (opensource.apple.com) and hack together your own window manager, but I suspect you don't have the technological prowess to do so.

I will agree that iTunes uses an outdated paradigm and is rapidly becoming obsolete, but I've never had performance issues with it. Ever.

You can just drag your music into iTunes, it can be in pretty much any format except ALAC. And I'm pretty sure Handbrake does FLAC -> ALAC anyways.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't see how Chrome is winning when it's slow, breaks more often than other browsers and is not the most used browser.

You don't understand what lock-in is if you think Windows is less locked in. You really mean lack of game support too, because there aren't a lot of apps that don't have OS X and Linux alternatives.

Wasn't about game support at all, It was about professional application support for Adobe and Autodesk applications, and don't tell me to use crap like Blender and GIMP, because their UI's are terrible and I find them incredibly annoying to use, it would hinder my ability to do work, which is you know, something I need to be able to do.

OS X is around 85% open source. If you really wanted to run it on another platform, there's PureDarwin, or you can use FreeBSD, from which OS X derives many parts. You could even compile it from source (opensource.apple.com) and hack together your own window manager, but I suspect you don't have the technological prowess to do so.

I could do that, but why bother fiddling with something when I can use something that already works wonderfully, such as Windows. Again, when I need to be able to use my machine to work, spending a few hours get the programs I need to work would be a waste of time.

I will agree that iTunes uses an outdated paradigm and is rapidly becoming obsolete, but I've never had performance issues with it. Ever.

Well I have. To me it feels sluggish and it isn't really customizable like Foobar is.

You can just drag your music into iTunes, it can be in pretty much any format except ALAC. And I'm pretty sure Handbrake does FLAC -> ALAC anyways.

Yes but for that music to also work on iOS devices it has to be converted to a format which iOS supports. Android works with pretty much any media format, there are a few obscure ones which it doesn't but it covers most of the them. Ye having to drag music into the media player is a bit annoying. My content is sorted by artist, then album, so when I rip CD's I rip them to their respective folder. If I rip a dozen of so CD's at once having to go through folder by folder and dragging stuff into iTunes would be tedious. Foobar2000 just scans the directories and automatically adds files.

Edit: did you mean FLAC not ALAC the first time you said it? I'll assume you did, in which case having to wait for itunes to convert FLAC to ALAC is a bit time consuming and annoying, especially when you have a large library.

-snip-

All of Adobe's stuff is cross-platform. Not quite sure what your gripe is there. They were originally a Mac-only developer, believe it or not.

I run a lot of Adobe software on my Mac, including most of CC and I also use AutoCAD, of which there is a Mac version too. Most of Autodesk's stuff is Mac compatible. I assume you must use 3ds Max or Inventor.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

All of Adobe's stuff is cross-platform. Not quite sure what your gripe is there. They were originally a Mac-only developer, believe it or not.

I run a lot of Adobe software on my Mac, including most of CC and I also use AutoCAD, of which there is a Mac version too. Most of Autodesk's stuff is Mac compatible. I assume you must use 3ds Max or Inventor.

I was referring to Linux having piss poor program support, not OSX. OSX would suite my needs just fine, but it wouldn't work so well with my current hardware, which is what you fail to understand. 

I was referring to Linux having piss poor program support, not OSX. OSX would suite my needs just fine, but it wouldn't work so well with my current hardware, which is what you fail to understand. 

I don't fail to understand that. I gave a detailed explanation of how you could install it on your platform, (you could even do a Hackintosh if the UI mattered that much) and you still seem to have a sort of superiority complex with me.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I never recommend google chrome, I try to drive people to better browsers, like Opera, Maxthon and Firefox.

Regarding e-mail and other services I try to stay on several companies, so I don't have all my stuff depending on it.

I'm a android user on my phone but I'm proud to say Google doesn't own my butt at all, and that's what most people fail to see. The day a CEO or a policy change Google can use everything we gave them against us. Don't put all your eggs on the same basket.

I don't fail to understand that. I gave a detailed explanation of how you could install it on your platform, (you could even do a Hackintosh if the UI mattered that much) and you still seem to have a sort of superiority complex with me.

Why would I take the time to do that? I don't have all the time in the world and I need to use my computer on a daily basis. Windows simply works. OSX requires bending over backwards. 

Why would I take the time to do that? I don't have all the time in the world and I need to use my computer on a daily basis. Windows simply works. OSX requires bending over backwards. 

That's hilarious.

How much maintenance do you have to do to your PC? Registry cleaning, temporary files, defrags, constant updates, antivirus...

I got sick of all that shit. That's why I use Macs now for the most part.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's hilarious.

How much maintenance do you have to do to your PC? Registry cleaning, temporary files, defrags, constant updates, antivirus...

I got sick of all that shit. That's why I use Macs now for the most part.

I love the ole "I use macs cuz no viruses lul windoze" argument. 

I love the ole "I use macs cuz no viruses lul windoze" argument. 

I can name around 30 active trojans on Windows off the top of my head, off of around 300,000 new attacks that are generated daily.

Do you know how many active trojans there are for Mac? The number is statistically insignificant.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How many times do I have to tell you "I run Windows" before it gets through your thick skull? Seriously.

I think my work here is done. You can't even stay coherent in your opinions, flip-flopping when it suits your case.

It's like the "I have a black friend" arguement, except worse due to the fact that you might not be using Windows by choice.

OS X is around 85% open source

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

It's like the "I have a black friend" arguement, except worse due to the fact that you might not be using Windows by choice.

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

I have a custom built gaming PC running Windows 7 Home Premium that contains an i7-3770K at stock clocks with the standard cooler, a P8Z77-V LX motherboard, an EVGA GTX660Ti Superclocked and a Thermaltake Commander Snow Edition case. The monitor is a Dell ST2220L and I also have a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition and a Deathadder 2013 Edition as well.

Satisfied?

It does mean what I think it means, look it up.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I have a custom built gaming PC running Windows 7 Home Premium that contains an i7-3770K at stock clocks with the standard cooler, a P8Z77-V LX motherboard, an EVGA GTX660Ti Superclocked and a Thermaltake Commander Snow Edition case. The monitor is a Dell ST2220L and I also have a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition and a Deathadder 2013 Edition as well.

Satisfied?

It does mean what I think it means, look it up.

That looks like a gaming PC, so... yeah....

There's no such thing as "85% open source."

There's no such thing as "85% open source."

Isn't there? Why can't 85% of the lines of code be open? OS X is mostly open source components, with the UI thrown on top. With regards to all of the functionality of the OS, it's all open source, and can be found at either opensource.apple.com or in PureDarwin or FreeBSD. 

It's certainly much more open than Windows is, and the fact that it's fully compliant UNIX helps too. That's why most hackers these days run on either Linux or OS X. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I can name around 30 active trojans on Windows off the top of my head, off of around 300,000 new attacks that are generated daily.

Do you know how many active trojans there are for Mac? The number is statistically insignificant.

Do you know how many there are for linux? Even more insignificant. If that's what you judge an OS on, then you picked the wrong one. 

Elaborate on the media players and phones being objective.

Media players - You can compare how many artifacts and other unwanted picture qualities they introduce when upscaling/downscaling. You can compare performance. You can compare features supported, as well as file formats supported.

I did a comparison of MPC-HC and VLC before and MPC-HC was pretty much better in every single way shape and form. You can ignore objective comparisons and say "I want to use VLC because that's what I am used to" though, but then you're ignoring the objective aspects of the comparison and picks it for a subjective reason.

With phones can you compare them in individual aspects (screen, camera, processor etc). Which aspects you value the most might be subjective, but the individual tests can be objective.

It's the same with browsers. You can measure RAM usage. You can check image scaling. You can look at how many features/standards they support. All of those are objective.

Do you know how many there are for linux? Even more insignificant. If that's what you judge an OS on, then you picked the wrong one. 

No, it's not what I judge an OS on, but that's part of it. I use Linux too, it runs my cross-platform buildbot server.

Linux has generally shitty user interfaces. And yes, I do care about how things look. Unity and GNOME are the only ones trying to be anything special at the moment, honestly it's gotten to the point where I can't tell Mate from Cinnamon from KDE.

Edit: KDE Plasma 5 does look pretty nice though. Definitely a new direction, however slight.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How is Firefox better at opening a new tab?

in chrome there's a slight delay ("a full white page") until the new tab page (popular site thumbnails) fully displayed, maybe it's just my PC, but in firefox no such thing, as it happened instantly, displaying my new tab page in dark theme (FT Deepdark). i've been searching for a theme or workaround that could do the same thing in chrome but no result, which make chrome "pain in the eyes" in low-light conditions.

in chrome there's a slight delay ("a full white page") until the new tab page (popular site thumbnails) fully displayed, maybe it's just my PC, but in firefox no such thing, as it happened instantly, displaying my new tab page in dark theme (FT Deepdark). i've been searching for a theme or workaround that could do the same thing in chrome but no result, which make chrome "pain in the eyes" in low-light conditions.

There's definitely a theme for that. Also I've never experienced that in Chrome. Not that I advocate it, but I've never experienced those issues except when I was running a game in the background or something.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There's definitely a theme for that. Also I've never experienced that in Chrome. Not that I advocate it, but I've never experienced those issues except when I was running a game in the background or something.

i think this thread  could explain it better https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/FTnRkdECqnk

and the answer there sum it up, "This has been brought up before, and there really is nothing you can do about it.  Sorry."