I think picking speakers is really hard..

Keen_Interest

What kind of output?

Nevermind answered my own question, so here is the possible connections for the AudioEngine Sub. 

Untitled.jpg

From the AudioEngine S8 setup guide. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Nevermind answered my own question, so here is the possible connections for the AudioEngine Sub. 

Untitled.jpg

From the AudioEngine S8 setup guide. 

After a quick Google search it appears you can actually use one of the inputs on the A2 as an output to the sub. So you can pretty much use any sub you want as long as there's a input. 

After a quick Google search it appears you can actually use one of the inputs on the A2 as an output to the sub. So you can pretty much use any sub you want as long as there's a input. 

Interesting.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

If you can live without the sub then I highly recommend the A2's. They do have a sub that goes with them but it's pretty expensive. 

The fun thing about the A2's is the Kevlar cone. You can just poke it over and over again and it's quite entertaining. Not too mention you can turn the speakers up and watch the papers on your desk get pushed around from the air coming out of the speaker.

I personally don't miss having a sub with my speakers anymore since the A2's have much better clarity then most those 2.1 gimmicky speakers. You can crank these bad boys up till your ears bleed and it doesn't distort. I can almost bet the Sp2500's will distort if you crank the sound up. You probably won't hear it though since the sub is there to cover up the awful highs on the speakers. 

Then you would lose your bet. Can have sp2500 fully cranked no distortion. Sound is crystal clear, best part of my $4000.00 rig.

Personally I would only go with 2.0 or 2.1 I dislike surround sound it sounds cheap and fake and I have never seen a truly high quality setup.

Then you would lose your bet. Can have sp2500 fully cranked no distortion. Sound is crystal clear, best part of my $4000.00 rig.

Gee, I wonder what you'd think of genuinely good speakers  :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Gee, I wonder what you'd think of genuinely good speakers  :P

I don't think he would know what to think. He may not realize what distortion actually sounds like till he heard better speakers that aren't made out of plastic. People can't honestly believe Corsair actually put a lot of engineering into the SP2500's. I bet they just told a Chinese company to make them some speakers that they can turn around and make a gigantic profit on. I bet there was very little testing done on them by people that actually know what they're doing. Just remember, The SP2500's probably use the same kind of speaker that are put into tons of other companies speakers. 

The build quality alone of the A2's wipe the floor with the SP's. Do you really think Corsair would put a kevlar cone into their speakers? Of course not because they don't care about speakers enough to worry about them blowing if you turn them up too high.

Don't get me wrong, I think the SP2500's are good speakers. Are they worth $250? Definitely not. They are just rebranded speakers selling for a high sticker price. 

Funny guy. Many, many reviews disagree with you, quit being a clown act.

Funny guy. Many, many reviews disagree with you, quit being a clown act.

Yeah because many, many people know good sound. 

Think about this for a second, They are retailing the SP2500's for $200-$250, which means they are probably selling them wholesale for around $150. Corsair is making a profit off of that which means the speakers and sub probably cost around $80 to make or less. The sub most likely costs the majority of that so you end up with $20-$30 speakers. You telling me for that price the speakers are good? It's common sense that getting a 2.1 system means the speakers are downgraded because they dumped most of the money into the sub. Same thing goes for home theater in box systems. You can pick up a receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer for around $300. The receiver alone retails for around $100-$150 and once you consider the company has to sell it wholesale for a profit and the retailer has to sell it for a profit. How much are those 5 speakers and a subwoofer really worth? Nobody that knows audio buys all in one systems because you're sacrificing on the sub and the speakers. Most people buy the receiver, speakers, and sub separate. 

Sure the speakers may sound good but it doesn't make them better then the A2's. 

I think that going with the A2's is a better idea. Audioengine is a legit audio equipment company, but Corsair's SP2500 are some of the first speakers made by Corsair. When it comes to reviews the Corsair speakers have good ones, but mostly from PC people. The A2's on the other hand hame great reviews too but most of them are from audio people because as I said before Audioengine is a legit audio company.

If you are going to have such small and low power speakers I don't think there's a need for a subwoofer. The Audioengine S8 for example is not really meant to be paired to the A2's, but to the A5+.

So I believe that going for the A2's would be a better choice especially if you have a decent sound card. You will have better quality audio and in my opinion a better looking desk

I think that going with the A2's is a better idea. Audioengine is a legit audio equipment company, but Corsair's SP2500 are some of the first speakers made by Corsair. When it comes to reviews the Corsair speakers have good ones, but mostly from PC people. The A2's on the other hand hame great reviews too but most of them are from audio people because as I said before Audioengine is a legit audio company.

If you are going to have such small and low power speakers I don't think there's a need for a subwoofer. The Audioengine S8 for example is not really meant to be paired to the A2's, but to the A5+.

So I believe that going for the A2's would be a better choice especially if you have a decent sound card. You will have better quality audio and in my opinion a better looking desk

Exactly right! The only con of the A2's, and you'll see this in most reviews, is the volume dial on the back. They explained they did it to keep the aesthetics of the speaker which I can't fault them for. For me, that's the only con of the A2's. After time you get over it but it's still an annoyance. Now if you have a keyboard with a volume dial then that completely solves the issue. Unfortunately, I no longer have a keyboard that can do that.  

I just remaped useless F keys to volume control with KeyMap

I tried that and couldn't get it to work