i5-4590 vs FX-8350

I was just wondering, which is better? Not only for gaming, but general use, and taking in to account price?

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

well umm for todays use i say the i5 because of its strong single core performance, but it is locked so 8350 with a decent overclock could push past it with ease. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

I would go with the i5 even though it's more expensive.

The FX chipset is dated.

I'd go with the 8350, which can match 4670k performance, albeit a bit hotter.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

OK, so we seem to be getting some differing opinions here :/

Which is better for gaming? Or is there a better processor for the same price. (100-140£)

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

Which is better for gaming? Or is there a better processor for the same price. (100-140£)

gaming i5 all the way.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

If you dont run some crazy SLI or CrossFire you dont need that much CPU power. A FX-6300 works in most games just fine for me, even i most demanding like Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3.

I would go for the FX-8350, because of "bang for buck".

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

i'd go with the i5 just cause single core performance, although the 8350 runs hotter.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I'd say go with the AMD mostly because I did that :P I was choosing between the two with a streamers perspective and knowing beforehand I was interested in overclocking and watercooling. IF gaming, single core performance, and motherboard features are high priorities then maybe you should look towards the i5.  Remember that CPU performance in games shouldn't be what you are caring about as it shouldn't be more than a 10% difference in most different processors in the end unless there is bottlenecking, which isn't a problem in either of these choices lol.

Intel i5.  In order for the FX to even reach the stock performance of the i5, it has to be overclocked ridiculously high.  I'm talking 4.8Ghz +.  In order to achieve that, you will have to purchase a very expensive motherboard, as well as expensive CPU cooling.  You will end up spending more money trying to reach stock performance of the i5.  And then, once you have overclocked, paid more, and increased the heat and electricity bill, you will still not be able to play games like: League of Legends, Skyrim, DayZ, Diablo, Starcraft, MMOs, Indies, because the single core performance of the FX is abysmal.

Go with the i5 if you intend to use it for gaming.

Go with the FX if you do any kind of video editing and rendering.

If you live in the U.S. and you live near a Microcenter, get the i5.  Their in-store prices are amazing.  You get the processor for much less than anywhere else, and you also get a compatible motherboard for $40-$60 off.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CcjvdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CcjvdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($180.00) <-- In-Store Microcenter price or price match online with Staples.com NCIXUS.com or Frys.com
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.00 @ Newegg) <-- Really good deal currently going on.
Total: $267.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-10 08:01 EDT-0400

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hbxTpg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....pg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($130.00) <-- To be fair I used the Microcenter price here also.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($116.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $272.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Games that are single-core (poorly) optimised, go with the i5. Games that are well multi-threaded, 8350. The 8350 will perform better overall than the 4590. Most modern games are being optimised to make use of all cores and the improvement will continue when DX12 comes out. You also get the benefits of mantle which will help the game to use all cores, dependent on what GFX card you have.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz