So this is a thing

Still more powerful than a mac... (Prepare for potential hate)

15108135.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That is shockingly well priced for the tech inside. Whoever said it was more powerful than a Mac, GTFO. The only thing weaker about a MacBook Pro is the graphics card. Also, PCIe-based flash storage trumps the 1TB of spinning rust in this thing (the flash being the most expensive portion of a MacBook as it turns out).

Macs are overpriced, yes, but less powerful? They automatically come with workstation capabilities (yes, the GPU and RAM are both custom chips with ECC making a MBPr a walking mini workstation). With the launch of Broadwell I fully expect to see either the GTX 880m or the GTX 9xxm series inside.

You pay a premium on a MacBook for custom-built motherboards, touchpad, industrial case, ECC-enabled tech (16GB RAM standard with option for 32GB), and top-notch flash memory (512GB standard, option for 1TB), and the in-house software which comes pre-installed (now Microsoft office is "free" but they pay the license for it and pass the cost onto everyon). The downside is less customizability and fewer iterations.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Still more powerful than a mac... (Prepare for potential hate)

Lol the funny thing is it's actually not

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

It is when you consider that it can run things not made by apple

See my post above yours. The only thing more powerful is the graphics processor, but to put in a new one requires Apple do R&D on the 800 series when the 9 should be around the corner. The 780m isn't the same size as the 750m either. There's a lot going on under the hood few people really know about.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2010_Tech__Brick_vs__iPad_by_VacuumNinja

Meh, I'll take the brick, much better price for performance

That is shockingly well priced for the tech inside. Whoever said it was more powerful than a Mac, GTFO. The only thing weaker about a MacBook Pro is the graphics card. Also, PCIe-based flash storage trumps the 1TB of spinning rust in this thing (the flash being the most expensive portion of a MacBook as it turns out).

Macs are overpriced, yes, but less powerful? They automatically come with workstation capabilities (yes, the GPU and RAM are both custom chips with ECC making a MBPr a walking mini workstation). With the launch of Broadwell I fully expect to see either the GTX 880m or the GTX 9xxm series inside.

You pay a premium on a MacBook for custom-built motherboards, touchpad, industrial case, ECC-enabled tech (16GB RAM standard with option for 32GB), and top-notch flash memory (512GB standard, option for 1TB), and the in-house software which comes pre-installed (now Microsoft office is "free" but they pay the license for it and pass the cost onto everyon). The downside is less customizability and fewer iterations.

Do I need to link you two to a quote of mine? I'm sure @PokémonTrainerFour would be more than willing to share it.

Oh, and just to point it out. I have macs at home, so I know what they're like. I was being sarcastic. If only I could find a way to portray it over the internet.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Do I need to link you two to a quote of mine? I'm sure @PokémonTrainerFour would be more than willing to share it.

Oh, and just to point it out. I have macs at home, so I know what they're like. I was being sarcastic. If only I could find a way to portray it over the internet.

I wasn't even looking at this thread but thanks.

i assume you mean the quote of yours in my sig.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I wasn't even looking at this thread but thanks.

i assume you mean the quote of yours in my sig.

yep!  ;)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

this is has been known since CES 2014....

Horrible. Just horrible. MSI knows better than to do that.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I tought this is nice but then I saw 1 year warranty only... Still is 'cute' like a big tablet..

2010_Tech__Brick_vs__iPad_by_VacuumNinja

Meh, I'll take the brick, much better price for performance

With a brick you can violently get more and more things!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I don't get the point of this... why not simply build a pc with a better gpu and still cheaper ? Use a touch Monitor and build it in a htpc case... the best thing is you can upgrade that pc much easier.

With a brick you can violently get more and more things!

Exactly, even a brick has more flexibility and expandability, at a lower price, than apple products.

Advantage brick.

Yarrrrr,

I'm sure this has a place on the market, I like cases though.

Arr where have ye been matey

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I swear i've seen this system forever and a day ago.

See my post above yours. The only thing more powerful is the graphics processor, but to put in a new one requires Apple do R&D on the 800 series when the 9 should be around the corner. The 780m isn't the same size as the 750m either. There's a lot going on under the hood few people really know about.

I'm not talking about the macbook pro. That would be a very unfair comparison. I'm talking about the iMac which has a 708m 

It is when you consider that it can run things not made by apple

Well I don't know how performance and running things made by Apple even relate at all. And I'm guessing you haven't used or owned a Mac, rather are one of the people that hate on it online. It's called bootcamp. It lets you dual boot windows, linux, and whatever else you want.

I propose a new law,  that every thread by certain designation of posts will resolve itself to an apple v other debate. 

this thread has barely made 3 pages.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm not talking about the macbook pro. That would be a very unfair comparison. I'm talking about the iMac which has a 708m

That still requires creating a new motherboard. iMacs need a serious overhaul, not disputing that, but put it all in context. Desktop is a dwindling market. Until the major world economies spring back, or until Africa begins to develop, we're not gonna see big desktop innovations very often.

Well I don't know how performance and running things made by Apple even relate at all. And I'm guessing you haven't used or owned a Mac, rather are one of the people that hate on it online. It's called bootcamp. It lets you dual boot windows, linux, and whatever else you want.

I've used apple products before. Not impressed. The Ipod, while popular, has always confounded me. Why have this fancy operating system and touch screen when you can just make it play like the old mp3 players and have a standard digital readout? You'd save battery life, and file space. Don't "innovate" where innovation doesn't make sense.

I propose a new law,  that every thread by certain designation of posts will resolve itself to an apple v other debate. 

this thread has barely made 3 pages.

I think I mentioned this before but I think I need to say it again. 

The 12 year olds on this forum (those both actually 12 years old and those manchildren who never gained common sense and logic) need to bash on anything to make themselves feel good. Apple, EA, MS, Kittens; whatever. Bashing is required. They always need to whip out the e-penis to prove why X is better than Y or why Y sucks balls compared to Z. 

I propose a new law, anyone who starts derailing a thread gets a permaban. Or has their post replaced with a picture of a tool. Because they are tools for interjecting useless crap into almost every thread.