What would you think would be improved on laptops?

GrmanRodriguez

I honestly don't care for better battery tech on laptops, I'm doing just fine. I would love to see the option of 128gb removed, how can someone work with 128gb? Some PCs use that just for a boot drive! Storage options should be cheaper (even if it means using SSHDs)

Laptops should be replaced completely by tablets

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Battery life, less plastic more aluminium design.  And uh less proprietary software AKA bloatware. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Screens, budget laptops should all get ips screens, they don't actually cost 200$ to make.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Heat output. Gaming laptops make so much damn heat.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

where can you even find laptop with 128gb HDD?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

where can you even find laptop with 128gb SSD?

Fixed

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I honestly don't care for better battery tech on laptops, I'm doing just fine. I would love to see the option of 128gb removed, how can someone work with 128gb? Some PCs use that just for a boot drive! Storage options should be cheaper (even if it means using SSHDs)

I think all Laptops should have a 64gb msata SSD for boot and a standard 2.5" HDD for storage. A 64GB SSD will probally add $20 to build cost. Its not going to be much.

If only we all could afford 8 SSD's in Raid 0  :wub:

Ain't gonna happen m8

Fixed

Oh well, then  I see no problem there. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

YOu do realize that the larger the drive, the more expensive it is, right?  And I would beg to differ on 128GB. Just because windows takes up 30+GB does not mean that every OS does. 128GB is plenty of space for a Linux distro and quite a bit of data to boot.

As for me, I would love to have better betteries, something that last 48 hours per charge would be wonderful. Also, IPS screens standard, as well as 1080p as a minimum, and intel wlan cards as a minimum also.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Laptops will always be needed. Some people have to present CAD models to peers at business meetings, no tablet will run something like Solidworks smoothly.

If only we all could afford 8 SSD's in Raid 0  :wub:

My only complaint: stop making laptops with sealed batteries.

no... i dont want to carry some flimsy thing with me with a seperate keyboard that is waaay to think and doesnt feel nice and a way to small touchpad and not realy suited for gaming since well... its a tablet with a laptop you can put all the hardware in the body and you dont have to cram it behind the screen 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

YOu do realize that the larger the drive, the more expensive it is, right? And I would beg to differ on 128GB. Just because windows takes up 30+GB does not mean that every OS does. 128GB is plenty of space for a Linux distro and quite a bit of data to boot.

I know, but asking for $1200 on a 128gb MacBook Pro and then $1400 for a 256gb one is outrageous when you need (well, I need) at least 512gb if you want it to last a couple years.

no... i dont want to carry some flimsy thing with me with a seperate keyboard that is waaay to think and doesnt feel nice and a way to small touchpad and not realy suited for gaming since well... its a tablet with a laptop you can put all the hardware in the body and you dont have to cram it behind the screen

True, laptops and tablets aren't the same, just like smartphones and tablets aren't the same

Newer battery tech.... We need something that has better anti-degradation properties. Li-Ion only gets you so far on daily use. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

True, laptops and tablets aren't the same, just like smartphones and tablets aren't the same

well then your response to this thread is not so very smart becaus the title says laptop  

-Adolf Hitler 

well then your response to this thread is not so very smart becaus the title says laptop

?????

?????

the title says what could be inproved on a laptop and then you say replace them with tablets and then i say i dont want that then you say well tablets and laptops are not the same...

-Adolf Hitler 

Better battery life, more upgradable and less prone to overheating. 

I know, but asking for $1200 on a 128gb MacBook Pro and then $1400 for a 256gb one is outrageous when you need (well, I need) at least 512gb if you want it to last a couple years.

Well, in all honesty the problem there is Apple, not the SSDs (plus you are looking at PCIe SSDs instead of m.2/msata/sata 3/sata express, which do cost more). And if you want to be honest, almost any laptop can be upgraded to a better/bigger SSD without issue, just a reinstall of windows, which is needed on all OEM machines anyway. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

No, the surface 3 sucks and I don't want all laptops turning into that shitty piece of hardware, I would rather have Dell XPS 12 like devices.

Newer battery tech.... We need something that has better anti-degradation properties. Li-Ion only gets you so far on daily use. 

Well then why don't you figure out a way to cheaply manufacture graphene in a way that produces little pollution.

Resolution on most sub $300 $1000 laptops. like all of them, big and small, run at 1366 by 768. Also, Lenovo keyboards in all laptops, that would be brilliant.

Edit - Really, $300?

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11