What would you think would be improved on laptops?

GrmanRodriguez

the title says what could be inproved on a laptop and then you say replace them with tablets and then i say i dont want that then you say well tablets and laptops are not the same...

I didn't say the part of replacing tablets and laptops

Well then why don't you figure out a way to cheaply manufacture graphene in a way that produces little pollution.

Oh they will, and once they do it'll be awesome

Well then why don't you figure out a way to cheaply manufacture graphene in a way that produces little pollution.

Because that's not my job. My job is to watch stocks. 

hBm24Mq.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Better battery density, thus allowing for the same size battery to last 5-10 times as long. Also, better quality and resolution screens and also more hard drives instead of optical drives, so that there is more storage space.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Higher resolution screens, upgradeable graphics cards, and better sounding speakers. Something my 2003 dell laptop has that most ,if not all, gaming laptops don't have today. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I didn't say the part of replacing tablets and laptops

whoops :P yeah your right

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Resolution on most sub $300 laptops. like all of them, big and small, run at 1366 by 768. Also, Lenovo keyboards in all laptops, that would be brilliant.

If cheap laptops could move to 1600x900, 1680x1050 or 1440x900 that would be nice. Also yes, Lenovo does have nice keyboards, except when they swap the ctrl and fn keys... Freaking hate that.

If cheap laptops could move to 1600x900, 1680x1050 or 1440x900 that would be nice. Also yes, Lenovo does have nice keyboards, except when they swap the ctrl and fn keys... Freaking hate that.

Yeah. Even like 1280 by 800 is better IMO.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Oh they will, and once they do it'll be awesome

Yes, and the person who does will be rich beyond their wildest dreams. Meanwhile Tesla is wasting money on Li-ion Battery Gigafactories.

Because that's not my job. My job is to watch stocks. 

-snip-

You lucky son of a gun, getting paid to sit on your computer and make money for watching stocks.... 

Yeah. Even like 1280 by 800 is better IMO.

True, really I think laptops should move to 16:10 on top of getting resolution pumps, its just better for web browsing in my opinion, but not limiting like 4:3 screens.

Resolution on most sub $300 laptops. like all of them, big and small, run at 1366 by 768. Also, Lenovo keyboards in all laptops, that would be brilliant.

My 14" Asus laptop has a resolution of 1366 by 768 and it looks ok

My 14" Asus laptop has a resolution of 1366 by 768 and it looks ok

I used the resolution on a 15" and it wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't amazing. 

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Yes, and the person who does will be rich beyond their wildest dreams. Meanwhile Tesla is wasting money on Li-ion Battery Gigafactories.

You lucky son of a gun, getting paid to sit on your computer and make money for watching stocks.... 

Former Tesla investor here. Elon Musk is actually looking into various other developing battery technologies they can implement after testing, the Gigafactory will just help with future production of different kinds of batteries. 

It's not a easy job, I took the dive with my own capital saved from odd jobs. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I used the resolution on a 15" and it wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't amazing. 

I think for sub $300 you expect not terrible but also not amazing

I think for sub $300 you expect not terrible but also not amazing

Yeah, I meant to type sub $1000, fixed it now.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

True, really I think laptops should move to 16:10 on top of getting resolution pumps, its just better for web browsing in my opinion, but not limiting like 4:3 screens.

That is not going to happen again for whatever reason. It has not been long since IBM/Lenovo, Dell, and HP had laptops in 16:10 resolutions (with Lenovo it was the t510/W510 series, with dell it was the M4400/M6400, HP stopped when they went to Sandybridge processors).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Stop bitching and get a WD Black2.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Battery life, less plastic more aluminium design.  And uh less proprietary software AKA bloatware.

Sounds like a... MacBook Air...

*Braces for hate*

That is not going to happen again for whatever reason. It has not been long since IBM/Lenovo, Dell, and HP had laptops in 16:10 resolutions (with Lenovo it was the t510/W510 series, with dell it was the M4400/M6400, HP stopped when they went to Sandybridge processors).

Well that kind of sucks, 16:10 is perfect aspect ratio for many things, is close enough to 16:9 for videos, close to 4:3 which is good for web browsing, and its just great for multitasking because it gives slightly more real estate.

Sounds like a... MacBook Air...

*Braces for hate*

MacBook Air's are kind of lackluster, they are just Macbook Pros with a tapered design, ultrabook hardware and tn screens. Couple hundred dollars more and you can just get a 13" MBP with Retina which would be so much better.

Well that kind of sucks, 16:10 is perfect aspect ratio for many things, is close enough to 16:9 for videos, close to 4:3 which is good for web browsing, and its just great for multitasking because it gives slightly more real estate.

II think 3 by 2 is the perfect aspect ratio

II think 3 by 2 is the perfect aspect ratio

No, black borders on 21:9 movies look horrible with 3:2

MacBook Air's are kind of lackluster, they are just Macbook Pros with a tapered design, ultrabook hardware and tn screens. Couple hundred dollars more and you can just get a 13" MBP with Retina which would be so much better.

Yeah but they have INSANE battery life (12 hours!), impeccable build quality, and no bloatware. Those were the three things the guy I quoted wanted.

EDIT- the panel may be TN, but it still has great viewing angles and brightness. This isn't a bad TN panel.