"23% of Android Smartphone Users are Power Users"

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.androidauthority.com/23-android-smartphone-users-power-users-414676/

Source 2: http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=pressreleaseviewer&a0=5559&src=rss

Strategy Analytics recently released a study showing that nearly 1 in 4 Android users are in the category known as a “Power User.”

The study divided over one million individual applications (from more than 1500 Android phones in the US) into three profiles after adding up data estimates which included combined activity on Wi-Fi and Cellular networks.

Light User segment consumes less than 50 MB per day,

Moderate Users between 50-300 MB per day, and

Power Users with daily use over 300 MB.

The results

66% are Moderate Users,

23% are Power Users, and

15% are Light Users.

Wi-Fi accounted for a significant portion of the data use and saw that Power Users used Wi-Fi 82% of the time.

These results don't really surprise me, and they make perfect sense, well, to me anyways. The power users are more than likely people who stream a lot of videos on the go. That's my theory anyways. Either way, this is a neat little statistic.

I'm personally in the moderate user camp. How about you?

COMIC SANS

I don't have a phone!

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I use my android tablet (n7 2013) a lot more than my phone

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm defiantly a power user especially during the school year. :)

Oh okay hi. I'm a power user, evidently. I wouldn't even call 300MB respectable, I can use that much in <5 minutes on my phone.

Has the definition of power users changed recently? I thought it meant "A computer users who uses powerful equipment and advanced feature sets"... But now, apparently, it means "people who watch more YouTube than average".

In my opinion, if you're streaming video on your phone, you're a noob. Not a power user.

In my opinion, if you're streaming video on your phone, you're a noob. Not a power user.

Even if I am streaming via my home server with on the fly encoding?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'm not too sure what these statistic boil down to,  the last survey I saw had Iphone at the top for data  bandwidth as they apparently consume more video content than android users.  Still don't know if that actually means anything.  I like to watch videos, does that insinuate something about me?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Even if I am streaming via my home server with on the fly encoding?

I'm only cool with that, if you're streaming while pooping.

But I don't think local network data transfers would count, right?

I'm only cool with that, if you're streaming while pooping.

But I don't think local network data transfers would count, right?

Nope, over cellular, I have LTE in my area, and occasionally watch a backlog of tv shows while commuting via bus / train to school.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

A true power user doesn't use as much data.... On the contrary, he optmizises....

Those who use a lot of data are more likely to be social app addicts, viewing and sharing a lot of pictures and videos.

Exemple: my N5 is rooted and doesn't run the stock rom, nor the stock kernel, but I only use RSS feeds and read text only on Twitter, what category am I ? (it's an example, I currently run all stock because I had "issues")

Nope, over cellular, I have LTE in my area, and occasionally watch a backlog of tv shows while commuting via bus / train to school.

Oh yeah, I never considered being able to do that. I forget some places have mobile data and upload speeds that don't suck ass. 

The thought of being able to stream from my Plex server, to a mobile connection blows my mind.

Ok let me try again, the study shows that 82% of consumed data is using WiFi. I'm guessing most people are using that data at home and most of it will be from video streaming. People that watch video on their phones at home, unless they are pooping, are not power users. Haha.

Ok let me try again, the study shows that 82% of consumed data is using WiFi. I'm guessing most people are using that data at home and most of it will be from video streaming. People that watch video on their phones at home, unless they are pooping, are not power users. Haha.

Now that I can agree with! PS: The train I ride to college has free Wifi also. I find it insane that that is even possible on a moving vehicle.

Exemple: my N5 is rooted and doesn't run the stock rom, nor the stock kernel, but I only use RSS feeds and read text only on Twitter, what category am I ? (it's an example, I currently run all stock because I had "issues")

I don't think it's possible to be a 'power user' on an unrooted Android phone tbh. It'd be like saying you're a Windows power user, but you've only ever had access to a guest account.

Fuck data consumption as a definition of power user.

You Sir are a true Power User!

Yeah... My isp keeps getting mad since I use about 500GB a month on a 300GB data cap. But it doesn't matter because they don't charge overage fees. They want me to "upgrade" my plan but they apparantly dont realize I already have the top plan lol.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

this is a stupid survey of "power users". Why are you defining a power user by data usage only? I watch movies stored locally, and a modern mobile webpage is probably 5mb and i play half life 2 locally on my shield without using any data. So because of this I'm a casual user while the guy next to me watching =3 for the past hour is a power user?? And then they go on saying that power users" use wifi 82% of the time?? A true power user would find a fucking laptop before using 300mb of data browsing the web on a 5 inch phone. I would feel embarrassed if this experiment was mine if I was presenting it at a 3rd grade science fair.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

300 MB? Hold on, let me watch a single HD video on Youtube... And now:

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Ehm, 300mb... power user? I use my android devices very lightly, but my usage will still tax a couple of gigabytes on my internal network every day. If only counting external use though, I guess I'm a light user.

Cheers,

Linus

I used 4.33GB on wifi yesterday on my phone. Yep power user. Though I think this is a terrible measure of "power users"

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

So power users = using a set amount of data daily?

Maybe power users in the sense of utilizing the network, but the term "power user" doesn't mean what the article is saying it is.

And 300MB = power user? That can be easily consumed in 10 minutes from watching videos on YouTube or streams on Twitch...

so if 300mb means power user? where does my 6gb (3g only) a month (idk with wifi) put me?...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Hmm, I usually spend 5GB on WiFi and 50MB on cellular data. Does that count as a power user?

Toshiba Satellite C50 (A167)

• Intel Pentium 2020M (Ivy Bridge, IHD 3000)
  • 8GB DDR3 (4x2)
  • 500GB Toshiba Slim 5400RPM
  • Win10 Pro x64

Huawei P8 (GRA-UL10)

• HiSilicon Kirin 935 (arm64)
  • Android 6.0 (EMUI 4.0, TWRP 3, Sysless SuperSU)
  • 3GB RAM, 64GB NAND + 64GB SanDisk Ultra mSD