New project could see an end to advertising in parts of the net

ToxicFire

Project Sunblock a new independent project could see the end of advertising in parts of the internet by simply telling advertisers and companies using net adverts, where their marketing online is appearing.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/04/ad_biz_gets_one_less_excuse_to_sponsor_freetards_and_filth/

It really struck me that advertisers simply don't track where their ad's go and thus what their marketing funds are going to, could prove interesting, but I can also see how it would be abused to build even more detailed profiles of users.

Advertising on the net is good because we get free content. Intrusive adverts aren't cool though. Ones that ruin the net experience should be gotten rid of. Side bar ads are fine but video, sound pop-ups and anything else like that are just annoying.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Advertising on the net is good because we get free content. Intrusive adverts aren't cool though. Ones that ruin the net experience should be gotten rid of. Side bar ads are fine but video, sound pop-ups and anything else like that are just annoying.

Yeah I do not mind adverts at all if supports companies and sites in being free

But yeah sound and video adverts are horrid, my mum freaked out this morning as she was on a website looking some building supplies (we have the builders in at the moment) and a damn Fiat advert starts playing. I could not even find the video on the page just the audio and no way to mute it >< wtf

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wouldn't mind YouTube ads if they weren't commercials. A simple banner is fine by me.

EDIT: Especially when they are 3 minutes+ and are full length trailers for things and are unskipable.

I wouldn't mind YouTube ads if they weren't commercials. A simple banner is fine by me.

EDIT: Especially when they are 3 minutes+ and are full length trailers for things and are unskipable.

Exactly. I didn't mind short fast loading commercials, 20 seconds or so, but longer then that and it becomes annoying, especially if they take ages too load. I'm personally only running Adblock for YouTube.

Commercials like how Linus does his video commercials isn't annoying, they don't take ages too buffer since they are in the vid, they don't suddenly pop up, and most importantly they are semi relevant to the audience

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

To be honest, the companies that design super annoying ads like in-window popups with sound probably don't care where they end up, and more reasonable ads I don't care where they end up.

videos are fine unless youtube decides to play those friggin 10 minute no skip videos. i loose my mind and enable ad block for those. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

videos are fine unless youtube decides to play those friggin 10 minute no skip videos. i loose my mind and enable ad block for those. 

The internet feels so much nicer when there are n ads on them. The problem is we need to find a compromise between having ads that work and ads that people want to skip. I am in favor of having ads like what Linus does, where he makes an ad himself and then posts that on youtube. Also sponsored spots are a good way and I am fine with that. I don't skip them.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The internet feels so much nicer when there are n ads on them. The problem is we need to find a compromise between having ads that work and ads that people want to skip. I am in favor of having ads like what Linus does, where he makes an ad himself and then posts that on youtube. Also sponsored spots are a good way and I am fine with that. I don't skip them.

i have the same views about you. my only problem with ads are the ones i stated above. where i cant skip a 10 min long ad. idc if its a 2-4 min ad but 10 mins is sometimes double the size of a video i may wanna watch

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Actually YouTube is super strict about ads and none will be 10min + with no skip.

Max is 30 second with no skipping if hosted on YouTube.

If not hosted on YouTube it can be a longer unskippable ad but it is limited to 10MB which is next to nothing at a normal bitrate and resolution.

Source:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/187096

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Actually YouTube is super strict about ads and none will be 10min + with no skip.

Max is 30 second with no skipping if hosted on YouTube.

If not hosted on YouTube it can be a longer unskippable ad but it is limited to 10MB which is next to nothing at a normal bitrate and resolution.

Source:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/187096

really? i never knew that, i remember watching an ad called "the worlds chance" or something like that and it was no skipable.

really? i never knew that, i remember watching an ad called "the worlds chance" or something like that and it was no skipable.

Mabye it was updated recently.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China