I need to...

Jerakl

That Sucks man....

I would never recommend anything around/under $500 to anyone no matter what they are doing if they can afford more. $500 laptops are DESIGNED to die after 2-3 years. It's consumer grade, "throw it away because I want a brand new one now anyway" computers.

Believe me, I have completely rebuilt dozens of these laptops, it's hilarious how badly made they are compared to a $750+ laptop.  

Can you go to a local computer shop (Not a store like best buy or walmart or anything) and ask them to review your choices? Tell them you plan on doing this and that for school, and they can easily say (like we are), that a decent laptop is the right way to go. Maybe he will listen to them instead? 

Can you sir give me some recommendations? I just want it to be decently thin, have decent battery life, and the ability to play games. I did, and as soon as I said I want to be able to play a little bit of games on it, the guy instantly thought I meant like 1080p ultra gaming on Crysis 3. He started spouting stuff about how I would need a specially designed gaming laptop that would cost 2000$. And get this, this was for the specs of a 850m and i7-4710hq.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)