windows 8.1 is it worth 13.37 euro upgrade windows 7

Go to solution Solved by Sharif,

well if i am using w8.1 now and i am ok with it but you could also wait for W9 if its coming out in 2015

Yes but your going to need to buy/download a start menu program such as Start8.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

well if i am using w8.1 now and i am ok with it but you could also wait for W9 if its coming out in 2015

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Yes, but I would wait for Windows 9

I am waiting for Windows 9.

Want to actually get a legit copy of windows for the first time in years... If it turns out good ofcourse.

More like downgrade, Windows 8 is a disaster.

Do you have any actual reasons to think this or just because it's different.

Do you have any actual reasons to think this or just because it's different.

Just the regular "windows 8 shit, start menu too hard for my brain, microsoft literally satan" circlejerk running guy.

More like downgrade, Windows 8 is a disaster.

I just switched from 7 to 8.1 and couldn't be more impressed.  It's a much smoother experience IMO, I noticed quite a difference in everyday windows browsing stuff.

The start menu isn't an issue at all IMO, it's nowhere near as bad as people say it is.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

there is difference but 8.1 is great there are 2 types of people who stay with win7.

1. those who can't accept evolving future and thats why they hate it, im almost sure that 95% of people who judge windows 8.1 does it by how it looks

2. they who doesn't just feel to upgrade

"Installing update 23 of 145, don't turn off your PC..."

*45 mins later* "Restarting"

"Configuring updates..."

*30 mins later*

"Updates failed, reverting changes, don't turn off your PC..." 

Every. Freaking. Time.

You won't believe how many people come in the store with this problem and pretty much the only fix is reinstalling Windows.

How the f*ck does Microsoft expect people to pay for an OS if they have to deal with shit like this?

Never had any installation problems on a Mac, especially since they run through the App Store now.

Never once have I ever had to wait for an update in the entirety of the time that I've had windows. When I haad a Mac I had nothing but problems with their bullshit installation process. Most notably the fact that if you get too far behind in upgrades you can't catch up because they force you to purchase every single upgrade but they stop selling them

There is little to no reason not to upgrade. The only reason would have to be compatibility issues with old software, but even then I'd suggest looking for alternative software.

Windows 8 has better RAM handling, better power management and due to UEFI secure boot being a standard it's also more secure than before.

I've soapboxed on the subject before, but here I go again: The Metro full-screen menu is functionally much better. It let's the user focus on the current task (opening an app, file or system function), it provides larger buttons with more padding which makes the buttons easier to push, visa vi it's more effective (when we start counting miss-clicks over several years).

So I'd still say that upgrading to windows 8 is a smart choice. Just update to 8.1 so you can configure the menu to be less forthcoming (same bg as desktop, do not pop up after boot, etc).

If the menu is what prevents you from upgrading just replace it.

Thoroughness rating
#########