HDD Damaged, how can i fix it?

jedzkie13

Hi! I have 2 HDD's, my 1 HDD is only for Os, and my 2nd HDD is for backup, my problem now is the 2nd (2TB) HDD is damaged, when i mount it, my computer not reads it. can anyone help me?

Can you see the disk at all in the disk manager in windows? Is every thing connected ? 

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I dont think it's Damaged, you might just have to partition it, whatos are you using?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Is there a partition on it?

If its physically damaged you fix it by going to your local store and buying a new one...

Is it visible in the bios? And does it spin up?

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Can you see the disk at all in the disk manager in windows? Is every thing connected ? 

I cannot see it in the disk manager.

I dont think it's Damaged, you might just have to partition it, whatos are you using?

i've been using this HDD for 2 years, this is the first time i encountered this problem, my os is xp.

Is there a partition on it?

Nope, just a seperate partition. the Local Disk C: is the 1st HDD and the D: is the 2nd.

If its physically damaged you fix it by going to your local store and buying a new one...

Is it visible in the bios? And does it spin up?

The warranty of my HDD is expired. its not visible in the bios, yes. its spinning.

Try a different SATA port on your motherboard if you haven't already.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

Does it make noise?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i've been using this HDD for 2 years, this is the first time i encountered this problem, my os is xp.

Nope, just a seperate partition. the Local Disk C: is the 1st HDD and the D: is the 2nd.

The warranty of my HDD is expired. its not visible in the bios, yes. its spinning.

Test it on another window, and if it doesnt work... then its pretty much dead and you cant fix it.. (file recovery will still be possible thought)

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

try using this and see if it can read the hdd 

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Test it on another window, and if it doesnt work... then its pretty much dead and you cant fix it.. (file recovery will still be possible thought)

it can be fixed if the platters are fine, he will just need to replace the platters into a new hdd and he will need to be uber careful when placing them lol

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Try a different SATA port on your motherboard if you haven't already.

I already do that but the drive is not showing in my computer.

Does it make noise?

No, its like a normal HDD running.. no noise.

Already do that, no luck at all.

try using this and see if it can read the hdd 

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

it can be fixed if the platters are fine, he will just need to replace the platters into a new hdd and he will need to be uber careful when placing them lol

Let me try this, thanks!

have you tried chkdsk?

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

nope, but how can i chkdsk it if my computer not reads my HDD?

Try switching cables between the two

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

When you turn your laptop on, are there any clicking sounds?

Im using a Desktop. Nope, there are no clicking sounds.

Try switching cables between the two

I already do that.

When you tried switching the cables, did you change the power and data cables, or only data?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

When you tried switching the cables, did you change the power and data cables, or only data?

Both of them.

Im using a Desktop. Nope, there are no clicking sounds.

Meh it's late and I'm sleepy, probably some other thread I got the laptop thing from...

Can you see the harddrive in the BIOS?

Meh it's late and I'm sleepy, probably some other thread I got the laptop thing from...

Can you see the harddrive in the BIOS?

Nope. :(

Guy's if it is not visible in the bios, whatever piece of software won't detect it.

How old is the drive and do you have any important data on there?

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Try to check if there is a jumper connected on the hdd, it's a little piece of plastic between 2 pins, you can find it at the connection part of the hdd, if you have a little piece of plastic, remove it. Can be a bit tricky.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Guy's if it is not visible in the bios, whatever piece of software won't detect it.

How old is the drive and do you have any important data on there?

2 Years, yes all of my data is in here.

Try to check if there is a jumper connected on the hdd, it's a little piece of plastic between 2 pins, you can find it at the connection part of the hdd, if you have a little piece of plastic, remove it. Can be a bit tricky.

I removed the jumper and does not work either.

if its not spinning at all it is probally the driver board and not the platters, it may be repairable if you swap the controller board but it is a gamble at best. if the data isn't important i would just bin it.

if its not spinning at all it is probally the driver board and not the platters, it may be repairable if you swap the controller board but it is a gamble at best. if the data isn't important i would just bin it.

Its Spinning, however when i try to boot the computer w/ the HDD is connected. the boot does not continue after the bios.