Law to prevent ISP competition with municipal networks passes in the House

This shocked me. I'm not quite sure if it is stupidity, corruption, or a mixture of the two that allowed this (imo) moronic law to get this far. This is the first time I've heard of this, so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/07/congresswoman-defends-states-rights-to-protect-isps-from-muni-competition/

Just for this I'm trying to learn how to use spoilers on here so I can have a warning that if it is clicked on you will see horrible vulgar language targeted at this woman and anti-competition laws. Anybody know how to post a spoiler?

Just for this I'm trying to learn how to use spoilers on here so I can have a warning that if it is clicked on you will see horrible vulgar language targeted at this woman and anti-competition laws. Anybody know how to post a spoiler?

[spoiler='test']test[/spoiler]

Turns into:

test

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

[spoiler='test']test[/spoiler]

Turns into:

test

Thank you.

I changed my mind. No vulgar language. This is just a load of crap. So tired of anti-competition horse crap.

this isn't stupidity because something like this only get passed by sheer corruption and bribes on it owns

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

@Tea1337 Very bad. Very bad indeed.

why? im confused

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It seems with every passing bill in America it becomes less of a democracy and more of a corporate dictatorship. So much for freedom of choice and healthy competition.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It seems with every passing bill in America it becomes less of a democracy and more of a corporate dictatorship. So much for freedom of choice and healthy competition.

By the corporations for the corporations. 

why? im confused

This isn't terribly bad short term, but i could be in the long run because if they follow this same logic they could modify the law to extend to private ISP vs. private ISP competition. As it is right now, it prevents a city or cities' local governments from setting up their own ISP as it exists in Chattanooga, TN -- the local government offers extremely cheap internet (cheaper than google fiber) because comcast was pretty much a shithole ISP in their city.

Praise Duarte!

Thank you.

I changed my mind. No vulgar language. This is just a load of crap. So tired of anti-competition horse crap.

Btw: I have no clue if you found the appropiate place to make spoilers from in the menu above or just copied the code there to make that spoiler, but in any case you press the button called "Special BBCode" to the left of the window for font --> Spoiler --> Insert what you want to call the spoiler --> Procced to put in the text between the spoiler code like shown above.

I may just be pointlessly helping now though so anyway ;)

OT: Just glad that these laws are still rare in Europe, but shit like this being enacted in the US is bad for us as well... Because a lot of our governments are "try hard" US ones :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

"Land of the Free". Fucking morons. I'm willing to bet that congresswoman is a shill being paid off by one of the corporations. It's the only logical reason.

"Land of the Free". Fucking morons. I'm willing to bet that congresswoman is a shill being paid off by one of the corporations. It's the only logical reason.

yep

"she received $12,500 in contributions from Verizon, $10,000 from AT&T, $7,500 from Comcast, and $7,000 from representatives of Time Warner Cable. (These donations come from the companies' political action committees, employees, or owners.)"

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If politics were easier to get into in the US, then corporations would be milked dry, unable to finance all of their preferred candidates. There's a reason your founding fathers (Referring to the US) were against political parties and this is starting to show now more than ever.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

No fucking way this gets passed in the Senate and then the President... No fucking way

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

yep

"she received $12,500 in contributions from Verizon, $10,000 from AT&T, $7,500 from Comcast, and $7,000 from representatives of Time Warner Cable. (These donations come from the companies' political action committees, employees, or owners.)"

Okay so that congress women needs to be removed.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Okay so that congress women needs to be removed.

She probably will be as long as this gets big in Tennessee somehow. They won't reelect her to represent them in the House if they know about this.

So glad there are layers in the fed government where they can stop shit like this lol

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

yep

Jesus, they are that cheap? I'd have expected a bribe would at least need to be enough to buy a car.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Oh America thanks for the morning laugh.  :lol:

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

When I read this I had to get up and walk away from my computer for a few minutes because I still cannot believe the levels of stupidity I am reading on my computer screen. This law protects the ISP's "right" to not be in competition with any municipal ISP? What the hell is this? Even as I type it now, this doesn't seem real. I knew that the US government was corrupt, like corrupt to its core, but this law literally in no way whatsoever helps or benefits the American people. With every day that passes I get more and more fed up with shit-storm of a society we have, and this is the icing on the cake folks. We've given up nearly complete control of our lives to a governing body that could not possibly care any less about us as long as our politicians are rolling in money. Nothing kills your motivation to do anything quite like the reoccurring realization that you are effectively powerless against a room full of old men. Today is off to a great start isn't it?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

This is bull crap..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald