Need help choosing watercooling components

Hello! I have never watercooled before, and would really like to for my next build. All I know for sure is what water blocks I want. I would like some help from experienced watercoolers with picking the cooling components for my new pc build.

Here's what I have planned for my system so far (I know some parts aren't out yet):

Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400MHz

Storage: 1x128gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD (will eventually add some HDDs for storing large files)

Video Card: 2x Asus Gtx 780 ti Direct CU II

Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Monitor: Asus PB287Q

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB

Headset: Steelseries H Wireless

Accesories

Corsair Red Braided Cables

Dominator Platinum Airflow LED (Purely because it looks so sexy)

ROG Front Base

Cooling

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee XL

GPU Blocks: Swiftech Komodo NV LE

I don't think I will change these unless someone could recommend even sexier blocks.

Every thing else I don't know yet (tubing, coolant, fittings, pump, reservoir, etc.)

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

EDIT: Forgot to mention I would prefer an ODD reservoir if there are any good quality ones out there. If not, no biggie.

Hey,

Make sure the card you have has a reference pcb before buying the gpu block. Couldn't find out if it does online.

For the CPU block I think the 380i looks very good and can recommend it as it performs well in my system.

For tubing I recommend getting Alphacool advanced LRT. (I think that's what it is called. It's in my sig but I am in mobile so can't check ATM)

Coolant: for colored, go mayhems pastel. Only colored coolant I've seen people recommend. For non colored, distilled water is best.

Fittings: bitspower are the best.

Pump: and Laing D5 with do like the swiftech mcp655. Just get variable speed. My mcp655 is plenty powerful and quiet.

Reservoir: any thing that fits in your case and you like the looks of basically.

Rads: I've heard black ice radiators are good but I love my Alphacool xt45's. The mounting is a little terrible but they look and perform well.

J.D.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Cooling

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee XL

GPU Blocks: Swiftech Komodo NV LE

I don't think I will change these unless someone could recommend even sexier blocks.

Every thing else I don't know yet (tubing, coolant, fittings, pump, reservoir, etc.)

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

EDIT: Forgot to mention I would prefer an ODD reservoir if there are any good quality ones out there. If not, no biggie.

Your PC components have a lot of overkill and money wasting IMO but it's your build, your money. If you do want it cheaper or more sensible, I recommend you submit that part to the build planning subsection on this forum.

WC Stuff:

Waterblocks: EK CPU and GPU blocks constitute as sexier waterblocks IMO, for example an EK Supremacy Clean Plexi Nickel block for the CPU and two EK full cover Clean Plexi nickel blocks for those DCUII, EK makes specific blocks for the 780 ti DCUII. 

Tubing: Primochill Advanced LRT

Liquid: Distilled water and a silver res plug from monsoon or kill-coil with a liquid biocide like DeadWater

Fittings: Bitspower compression fittings are the best, (Koolance, Monsoon for cheaper)

Rads: Alphacool and Hardware Labs rads are the best. The rad possibilities in the Enthoo Primo are endless. For a OC'ed CPU and 2 high GPU's go for at least a 360 + 240 or 360 + 360 or for some nice overkill 480 + 360/480. Low fpi rads like Alphacool ST30/XT45/UT60 or Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1's. 

Pump/res: a combo from EK or Bitspower with a Swiftech MCP655 or Alphacool D5 vario.

Fans: The rads I mentioned will be fine with good pressure optimized fans in push like NF-F12's or E-loops.

Feel free to quote me, for clarifications or if you have more questions.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hey,

Make sure the card you have has a reference pcb before buying the gpu block. Couldn't find out if it does online.

For the CPU block I think the 380i looks very good and can recommend it as it performs well in my system.

For tubing I recommend getting Alphacool advanced LRT. (I think that's what it is called. It's in my sig but I am in mobile so can't check ATM)

Coolant: for colored, go mayhems pastel. Only colored coolant I've seen people recommend. For non colored, distilled water is best.

Fittings: bitspower are the best.

Pump: and Laing D5 with do like the swiftech mcp655. Just get variable speed. My mcp655 is plenty powerful and quiet.

Reservoir: any thing that fits in your case and you like the looks of basically.

Rads: I've heard black ice radiators are good but I love my Alphacool xt45's. The mounting is a little terrible but they look and perform well.

J.D.

Thanks for the advice, I decided to go with the Asus refernece 780ti instead, just to avoid any issues.

Your PC components have a lot of overkill and money wasting IMO but it's your build, your money. If you do want it cheaper or more sensible, I recommend you submit that part to the build planning subsection on this forum.

WC Stuff:

Waterblocks: EK CPU and GPU blocks constitute as sexier waterblocks IMO, for example an EK Supremacy Clean Plexi Nickel block for the CPU and two EK full cover Clean Plexi nickel blocks for those DCUII, EK makes specific blocks for the 780 ti DCUII.

Tubing: Primochill Advanced LRT

Liquid: Distilled water and a silver res plug from monsoon or kill-coil with a liquid biocide like DeadWater

Fittings: Bitspower compression fittings are the best, (Koolance, Monsoon for cheaper)

Rads: Alphacool and Hardware Labs rads are the best. The rad possibilities in the Enthoo Primo are endless. For a OC'ed CPU and 2 high GPU's go for at least a 360 + 240 or 360 + 360 or for some nice overkill 480 + 360/480. Low fpi rads like Alphacool ST30/XT45/UT60 or Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1's.

Pump/res: a combo from EK or Bitspower with a Swiftech MCP655 or Alphacool D5 vario.

Fans: The rads I mentioned will be fine with good pressure optimized fans in push like NF-F12's or E-loops.

Feel free to quote me, for clarifications or if you have more questions.

Thanks for all of the info! I am going to go check out all the products you mentioned. I realize a lot of the components are overkill, but this machine will be doubling as a gaming/3d workstation and many choices were dictated by looks.

Also, I can't quite understand the part you labeled pump/res.

And I plan on using corsair SP quiet fans for the rads

The Swiftech Apogee XL is the older revision, go for the Swiftech Apogee HD instead unless you'd prefer the XL.

I think the Apogee XL just looks too good to pass up :)

Thanks for the advice, I decided to go with the Asus refernece 780ti instead, just to avoid any issues.

I would go with a binned chip. Nothing like spending a grand on cooling to find out your chips don't overclock very well. My 4770k refuses to go past 4.2ghz even with 1.4v. Very frustrating but what can you do? I would highly recommend the classified from EVGA. EK makes a block for it and I love mine. I can get 1400mhz but that takes a little too much voltage for my liking. I usually run at 1.3v or 1.35v at 1350~mhz.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I would go with a binned chip. Nothing like spending a grand on cooling to find out your chips don't overclock very well. My 4770k refuses to go past 4.2ghz even with 1.4v. Very frustrating but what can you do? I would highly recommend the classified from EVGA. EK makes a block for it and I love mine. I can get 1400mhz but that takes a little too much voltage for my liking. I usually run at 1.3v or 1.35v at 1350~mhz.

That's a very good point. I would prefer an Asus card if possible. Should I wait for the 780 ti matrix?

That's a very good point. I would prefer an Asus card if possible. Should I wait for the 780 ti matrix?

Asus has terrible custom service and with a waterblock,all cards cool the same. Probably no waterblock coming for the matrix as the new cards are rumored to be coming soon and that card isn't coming any time soon. Not worth it when EVGA has better customer support. Also, custom bios' are out for classified cards, will take a while for Matrix bios' to come out if they do at all.

Thanks for all of the info! I am going to go check out all the products you mentioned. I realize a lot of the components are overkill, but this machine will be doubling as a gaming/3d workstation and many choices were dictated by looks.

Also, I can't quite understand the part you labeled pump/res.

And I plan on using corsair SP quiet fans for the rads

To clarify on the pump/res. EK sells pump + reservoir combo's. They consist of a tube reservoir and a pump top. If you buy one of these and a seperate pump that you screw into the pump top, you'll have your res and pump combo. Good pumps would be the Swiftech MCP655 or the Alphacool D5 Vario.

Corsair fans aren't the most quiets fans out there, have look at Noctua NF-F12's, Noiseblocker E-loops or Noiseblocker Black Silent Pro's (budget permitting of course).

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

@itsjoystick

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

since you are not familiar to water cooling, i'd suggest to review these pinned topics:

Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Watercooling FAQ - Some Basic Q&A

we could spec out your build thousands of ways, but you wouldn't know why

budget (cost) or even if items are available in your region.

once you have those topics read, then relist your needs.