Chinese hackers take command of Tesla Model S

Dietrichw

Source

01-2012-tesla-model-s-fd-1347336745.jpg

The first documented successful hack of a Tesla Model S has come from China, Chinese security giant Qihoo 360 Security Technology announced Thursday.

The hackers were attempting to win $10,000 in prize money at a kick-off event during the SyScan +360 security conference, which is co-sponsored by Qihoo. They were able to gain remote control of the car's door locks, headlights, wipers, sunroof, and horn, Qihoo 360 said on its social networking Sina Weibo account. The security firm declined to reveal details at this point about how the hack was accomplished, although one report indicated that the hackers cracked the six-digit code for the Model S' mobile app.

The Sina Weibo post warned Tesla drivers to "be careful" when driving in the rain, to avoid becoming a "drowned rat" in case the sunroof suddenly opens

Qihoo 360 said it reported the hack to Tesla and offered to work with the automaker to fix the vulnerability.

Whopise. What's the point behind any of the mentioned hacked stuff being left public in software, accessible through internet...

That was fast.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That was fast.

mhm I expected it to take a while

Then again... chinese hackers tend do get this stuff done quickly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hell yeah :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I actually don't mind that they hacked the Model S. I mean, that IS why they put up the $10,000 'price' for it.

$10k is a small price to pay for automotive manufacturers to find things that could cripple them later on. This way they will be able to patch things up before they become more known.

Hopefully this isnt used in the wrong way.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Most companies hire internal hackers to try and break their stuff constantly to patch holes in the protection. Doing it publicly and offering a reward just guarantees it will happen faster and more people might find more holes. Better then paying someone full time : P

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

@Builder

Is this the model you have?

Ah. It was the roadster. Nevermind

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yep as others have mentioned, this is actually a very common business practice for corporate networks and software giants. As an example, Microsoft (And Google too I believe?) offers a bounty if someone finds a vulnerability or bug in their software (as long as it meets certain requirements - I'm not sure what the requirements are).

The whole point of the $10,000 prize was to get people to FIND the vulnerabilities, so that Tesla can go plug the holes.

This is great news, and honestly I'm not surprised it was a Chinese security firm... they uh... get a lot of practice if you know what I mean ;)

This will help prevent people from maliciously hacking Tesla cars in the real world, where it could be dangerous or used for illegal activities like assassination, harassment, or stealing cars.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Honestly any major company who DOESN'T do this, well, they need a serious reality check for the 21st Century. The fact that, for example, Valve ignored a KNOWN EXPLOIT in Steam even after a Dev pointed it out to them, is shocking, and really lowered my opinion of Valve. It goes to show that even the "most well liked" companies aren't perfect.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

them Chinese hackers, fam

they don't play

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

that's really cool that they have hacking contest it is fun for people to participate, fun for people to watch, winner get a reward and that help society as we say in french ''tout bénef''